[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there hope for this relationship?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: feels-real-sad-man-5546882.png (42KB, 500x431px) Image search: [Google]
feels-real-sad-man-5546882.png
42KB, 500x431px
My boyfriend has bipolar 1. Two nights ago, I brought up the topic of bipolar disorder with him and I was asking him how could I help him when he's going through an episode and how could I support him. I brought up the topic because the day before, he had a manic episode that he hasn't had in a long time. Before bringing up the topic, I told him that I was not trying to sound offensive or ugly, but that I simply wanted to know more. I also brought up the topic of hypersexuality and asked him how I could help him and how often he gets strong urges, unfortunately he took offense to it and thought I was accusing him of cheating or being disloyal.
Unfortunately I didn't realize it at the time, but I did soon afterwards, that he was currently in a manic episode. He was acting extremely different than normal and he was acting like he usually does when he's going through a manic episode. He then got high on marijuana, which didn't help.
After seeming almost unfazed by anything I said, he began to lay down and close his eyes without saying anything for atleast 20 minutes. I realized that I may have offended him or hurt his feelings, so I poured my heart out apologizing that I did not try to hurt his feelings. He then sat up, crossed his legs and put his hands on his face for another long period of time. He then told me he wanted to leave the relationship...continued below
>>
I knew that talking about his bipolar disorder could seem offensive and insulting when spoken in that matter. Before confronting him, I briefed him that before I say anything, to know that I was not trying to be insulting or offensive, but just wanted to know more to support him. Unfortunately, me telling him that before bringing up the topic of bipolar disorder didn't do good and it still hurt him. I believe that the part that hurt him the most was the part of the hypersexuality, to him it sounded like I thought he was cheating. I have paranoia and anxiety issues. Like to the point to where I had trouble trusting friends and family. This spilled over to the relationship. At first I would question my boyfriend about cheating for absolutely no reason. I had no justification. I did this several times throughout our relationship, but I kept improving. I managed to calm my anxiety and paranoia, but I wasn't quite done yet. But I was almost there. But when I read about the hypersexuality thing, I didn't suspect him of cheating, but I was worried about how strong the urge of hypersexuality was in him. So I brought up the topic of bipolar disorder with him, asking him about mania, and then I brought up the hypersexuality thing. Then to him, it seemed like I was questioning his loyalty and that combined with his manic state, broke the camel's back.
>>
I was very shocked because we had a good relationship that was very strong. But the moment was a bad one and he impulsively told me he wanted to end. After telling me this, he seemed like he lost all empathy and feelings. He began to shun me and smile as I was in tears while acting very causal and mighty and almost emotionless. I knew this wasn't the normal him. I worry about him because he told me that he hasn't taken his medication in a while. I did the mistake of messaging him a lot hours after the breakup. My therapist told me that I should give him space so he can cool down and that not messaging him in return should bring him back to talking terms.
This happened Thursday night, and I don't know how long manic episodes tend to last with him. Sometimes it seems that he goes through an episode for a few hours and then becomes completely normal again. I gave him space yesterday and today only sent a single message saying that I'm here for him and am supportive of him and that I am ready to talk whenever he is. I don't know how long a manic episode lasts. I want to know how to approach him, because he might still be going through the episode and may react in a negative way to anything I may say or do.
And I have no idea what goes through a person's head when they are going through a manic episode, only from what I read a little bit. I am wondering on how to approach him, because he is a very important person in my life that I do not want to lose. What is the best way to approach him or deal with the current situation to get him on talking terms? Everyone and my therapist told me to give him space and time by not messaging him for a while. But how long is too long? How much time should I give him? I haven't messaged him since Saturday. Thank you everyone for your answers.
>>
I hope I can get some answers from you guys, thanks.
>>
Well I go through episodes too, and I hate it because I feel like shit afterward because I hate having them around my gf. I just feel so guilty afterwards and I hope that she won't leave me. It's so confusing during an episode because I will be fine one moment, and then boom, I don't want to talk to her and I get cold and distant. And Afterwards I just feel like complete shit. I've told her to leave me because she doesn't deserve to be with someone who does this to her, but she says she loves me and that these episodes won't change that. Sorry for venting...

If I was him, I would love if you sent me a long text saying how much i matter to you, and that you aren't upset and to contact you whenever you want.

But I'm not your bf so I'm not sure exactly what he is like, sorry
>>
>>18483496
>Is there hope for this relationship?
>My boyfriend has bipolar

Stopped reading right there.

No.
>>
OP you don't want to ruin your life being togheter with a psychiatric patient
>>
>>18483765
When you get distant, for long do you do not talk to her? I haven't sent him a message since Saturday.
>>
>>18483768
Have you been in a relationship with someone that has bipolar disorder?
>>
>>18483772
But when he's normal, he's so loving and caring.
>>
>>18483768
Honestly this, everyone has shit to deal with in their life. Your boyfriend sounds like he needs professional help. If he rejects your offers to help him and you stick around it doesn't make you look devoted, it make you look delusional.
>>
>>18483765
Usually in the past, he'd stop messaging me for a day or two if we get in an argument. I'm hoping it's the same pattern now and that everything will her back to normal.
>>
>>18484333
He goes to therapy, but he hasn't taken his meds for weeks unfortunately.
>>
>date a mentally ill guy who probably looks better than you
>come to channel 4 to complain about it
>>
>>18484350
Kek, he is pretty good looking.
>>
>>18484338
>meds for weeks unfortunately
This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed by a professional. I'll never understand the mindset of rejecting doctor prescribed medication but from what I've seen when it happens to friends and family is that unless you are a medical professional that is a serious problem that you are not equipped to solve.
>>
>>18484355
I know my dude, even if he doesn't love me anymore, which I think he still does, but even if he doesn't, I'd still worry about his health.
>>
>>18484355
According to him, his meds made him feel groggy, sleepy, tired and grumpy, so he stopped taking his meds.
>>
If he's refusing to takes meds then this relationship won't work out. Honestly there's nothing you can do if he just outright refuses to medicate. You can't reason with a manic.
>>
>dating a bipolar person

No
>>
>>18484375
He can get bad when he's manic.... it's almost as if he lacks empathy and emotion when he's manic, but when he's normal he's so loving...
>>
>>18484354
>date someone for looks purely
>complain about any other traits about him on channel four
>>
>>18484420
What? No, that isnt the only reason. That was just a trait about him.
>>
>>18484355
>I'll never understand the mindset of rejecting doctor prescribed medication
Some antidepressants can make you feel violently ill, have brutal migraines, or severe leg pain. Anti-psychotics meanwhile can make you gain huge amounts of weight no matter how little you eat. Medications for mental illness in high doses are hell to be on.
>>
>>18484428
its a big enough treat to ignore the bipolar disorder. stop the mental gymnastics, you date him for his looks, stop complaining about anything else.
>>
>>18484435
No, he has a great personality when he is normal and has given me the best experiences.
>>
>>18484440
i know a girl with bipolar disorder and you would have to be batshit crazy to date her
>>
>>18484432
But that's why you should find the right combo of meds. Meds work differently for everyone, that's why you have to keep trying meds until you get it right.
>>
>>18484446
Do you know which kind?
>>
>>18484379
It doesn't have to end in disaster.
>>
>>18484328
It usually lasts for a few hours, but the not texting back for a few days sounds pretty accurate
>>
>>18483768
This.

Dated a guy with bipolar, ruined my life and made me scared of dating. Fucking terrifying.
>>
>>18484677
Tell me about it, I wanna hear your story. How did he ruin your life?
>>
>>18484790
Took the fact that I couldn't handle his manic episodes personally. Turned abusive, threatened to kill himself if I left. Stalked me for months, threatened to kill me.
>>
>>18484805
How bad were his manic episodes?
>>
AS somebody with a parent that sounds like your bf, fucking run.

If he doesn't want to help himself, idk, but if he's hesitant even about that, which he seems because of the way he reacted to you.

Fucking
RUN
>>
>>18486266
.....if he does* want to help....
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.