[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: 1490510712811.jpg (65KB, 750x642px) Image search: [Google]
1490510712811.jpg
65KB, 750x642px
I don't know where to begin.

I live in Alaska and the economy here is simply broken. Its been in recession for a while and it never looks like its coming back. People are losing their jobs left-and-right, and the fact is that this place was always ridiculously expensive and its always been impossible to live by yourself without at least 2 roommates.

Now that is compounded by the fact that there simply are no jobs at all, and the wages have gone down down down. So I went to a local college to get a certification in HVACR work. I had a 3.7gpa and studied the market, finding that HVAC techs were paid well up here with lots of job growth.

Well, none of that was true. Every resource told me I'd start off with a decent wage, but every place was $12/hr for 4 years, then a raise up to $16 after I got my journeyman. There also were no jobs, and during the interviews they expect you to have in-depth knowledge about systems and troubleshooting, even for entry-level positions. I wanted to try joining the Union, but they require 4 years experience and multiple certifications and licenses that would take me well over 5 years to get. The whole thing was a mistake, and now I'm $20,000 in the hole and only have 3 months left on my grace period before I have to start paying it back.

I found a place to work as a plumber, but 4 weeks in I fell in a hole and fractured my tibia plateau (nondisplaced, thank god) and am on workers comp, but they are only paying me 40% of my regular monthly wages I made while I was working (because the income is based off of what I made last year, while I was in school and only working part-time).

My living situation is crumbling, and in the next 3 months I won't have a place to live. This is a long and complicated story on its own, but it can't be helped and that's the summary of it.

I'm sorry this is so long, continued below
>>
>>18479359
continued
so I basically have no job, no income, no future, and I'm thinking I just want a fresh start to find better opportunities, something drastic and huge to change my life

My entire life has just been the pursuit of barely getting by while working way too many hours to pay a never ending cycle of bills, if this is going to be my entire life, I seriously am thinking about eating a bullet. The thought of being a 70 year old man who is poor, barely able to move but having to keep up with young people to do $12/hr jobs? I'd rather be dead, and that's all I'll find in this awful economy.

There are two things in this life that I am passionate about, that is reading fiction and playing video games. If I'm in this state of mind where I'm pondering suicide as the only option to solve my problems, is it feasible that instead I could simply redirect my entire self, life, and identity into pursuing a career in the things I am passionate about?

I'm 27 years old, soon to be 28, I've never programmed or drawn in my life, but what I'm thinking is that I could just throw away everything I have and use what little I have to send myself to a tech school somewhere. Live in a crappy dorm, find a part time job somewhere, and 4 years later just look for work in game development, since its literally the only thing that's made me happy that hasn't abandoned me.

I know this sounds whiny and stupid, but I'm lost and overwhelmed, I worked so hard to get that certificate and I feel it all was pointless, I wasn't really passionate about it but I took the certificate that had the highest chance of landing me the job, and it didn't do jack shit for me. I am lost in life and don't know what to do, and I have very little time to figure it out.

Thank you for reading. Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>18479403
you could always learn programming by your own, in the tech world an interesting github profile is as good as a complete resume. There is demand for programmers, so you might land a job without knowing THAT much (at least that's the case in argentina, companies are looking more for people who can learn, as there is no programmers) and you will learn a lot on the go.
>>
>>18479442
A problem I see with this is that its just not feasible to learn while working enough to make a living wage in my state, just to break 40k I was pulling 60 hour weeks, and that was 4 years ago, things are much much worse now, that and I'm really bad at learning by myself. Its so difficult to come home from a 60 hour week and find time to study and not be 110% drained and ready to just go to sleep each day. I've been trying to do that with writing a novel, and its just impossible to find the time. I wake up, work, home, sleep, 6 days a week. I don't really get to do hobbies or go out or anything anymore, I just pay basic expenses and work and that's it. I'm going nowhere like this, and I have no free time to speak of, I can't save any money, I'm neck deep in medical debt and when my car is dead, I'm fucked because I can't get another one. I'm terrified.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.