[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1% off college grade cutoff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: grades.jpg (39KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
grades.jpg
39KB, 425x282px
I got 1% off a grade cutoff at college. Is it worth emailing and asking for the extra 1%? Seems pretty painful being just 1% off the grade cutoff but at the same time I'm not sure if its appropriate to email just asking for the 1%.

Thoughts, /adv/?
>>
Also, how would I go about asking if I were to do it?
>>
Do it. They can only say no, if that happens who gives a shit
>>
Can't hurt, be respectful and maybe offer to do some extra work and make sure you don't come across as entitled.
>>
>>18478886
Well don't just ask for the 1%, makes you sound like an entitled dick. Explain the situation and ask if there's anything you can do to make up the extra 1%, if the Prof is feeling generous and not a dick he'll just give it to you if he thinks you put in a genuine effort in the class.
>>
>>18478902
Hi, I'm an ungenerous, dick professor in real life. I get these e-mails at the end of every quarter from students who have been able to see their grade every day in Canvas (our LMS—I make sure everything is graded and posted swiftly) but who didn't think about it until after the final exam.

As for extra credit assignments, if your professor is an honest man he will say no. No student should have any opportunity for credit that hasn't been offered to all the students. Most universities have explicit policies about that. It's simply unfair to the other students.

As for giving you the points, that's also unfair to the students who actually put in that extra 1% of effort during the quarter/semester and earned their grade.

You earn your grade based on the work you did in class, right? If so, you should be happy with the grade that you earned, because that's the result of your labors.

Also, is this a class in pity? If I give you points out of pity for your feelings about not making the grade cutoff, then you are literally getting credit for pity, not for course content. You wouldn't want "PITY 101" on your course transcript, would you? You aren't majoring in pity and begging, are you?

Yes, I'm a dick, but I'm also the straightest, fairest dick from whom you'll ever take a class.
>>
>>18478886
do it faggot.
>>
>>18479206
I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think asking a professor to review your work to try and get that 1% is that unreasonable.

The thing, a lot of courses will have assignments or exam questions that are graded in a subjective way by the professor, and different people would give slightly different grades. So the student's final grade will always have a margin of error. As long as you only nudge it within that margin of error and there's an assignment or question in which it would be reasonable, it seems fair to me.
>>
>>18479206
I agree with you get what you earn but there were a few ambiguous assignments that were marked by PhD students. If the PhD student marking was having a good day or was less tired etc I may have gotten that extra 1%. I'd completely agree if I was 2 or more points off but being 1% off seems like pure luck/bad luck
>>
Good god I'm glad to be done with the hellish nightmare of college where every single question you answer on an exam can mean the difference between success and failure. The nightmares don't stop though.
>>
>>18479235
>>18479239
Not him, but at my university, you could get your exam script reviewed, it would just cost you $20 or so. If it's an assignment you want reviewed, it's a bit late to do that now, that's something you should have addressed at the time.
>>
>>18479257
>If it's an assignment you want reviewed, it's a bit late to do that now, that's something you should have addressed at the time.
It is yes, however I didn't realize the difference would be 1%.
>>
>>18479291
Well you can't expect them to go back and review it now. I don't know what you're expecting will happen. Often professors try to shift the grade curve so that as many people as possible won't be sitting on a cusp like you; if your professor is like that then they've really done all they can. Your grade is your grade.

You're really just expecting special treatment now, and that's just not fair on everyone else.
>>
>>18479303
I'm not really sure, which is why I made a thread asking for advice. The general consensus seems to be it doesn't hurt to ask so long as I don't come across as entitled
>>
>>18479331
Well I agree, it doesn't hurt to ask; just don't expect anything to come from it. Especially if it'll depend on them changing your assignment/test results instead of your exam results.
>>
>>18478886
An email can only do so much. I'd tell him in person and make up a sad sob story about how your aunt has cancer or some shit so you didn't study as hard for the last test.
>>
>>18479355
How many times do you think he's heard that your grandmother died, your dog died, your aunt has cancer, or whatever?
>>
>>18479418
Not to mention, universities have some sort of bereavement system in place to deal with these things.
>>
>>18479355
Don't really like lying especially about things like that
>>
I sent an email, fingers crossed. See what happens..
>>
>>18479355
Professor here, please don't do this. The honest email would probably make me at least offer something for you to earn the 1% (but most of the time we just try to curve it to avoid grades like that so we don't have to deal with a class full of people who got an 89% and want an A-). We're not morons, we can see through the fake sob stories, and we get a ton of them every semester. Coming to my office with "my dog was in the hospital all semester, give me a better grade" wouldn't get anything.
>>
>>18479687
I have no plans of doing this. I just said that I'm quite disappointed being 1% off the mark cutoff and if there were any way through extra credit work that I could get the 1%. I also said that I understand if it can't be done. Think that was okay for my email?
>>
>>18479818
Yea just send in an email and ask. It's just yes and no. As long as you're polite and don't sound entitled, your professor should understand and you should be fine.
>>
>>18479670
Nearly 12 hours and no response. How long should I expect a reply?
>>
>>18481140
it's a holiday weekend in the US. they may ignore emails if you're a freedom
>>
>>18481229
Not in US and not holiday. I think Ill give it a couple of days?
>>
>>18481281
No, you've waited too long already. After being kept waiting for the first hour you should have sent an an angry followup demanding action since your tuition money/tax dollars fund his fucking salary. Public servants need to serve to public. He's paid to give you good grades so you can pick up the diploma that you or the state (depending on your country) are paying for, so his fat academic ass better hop to it before you report him to the dean for not giving you a better grade. You might want to bcc the dean on this email so he has a paper trail in case the prof doesn't up your grade like he should.
Now that you've waited twelve hours, he probably thinks you're a weak cuck. You're going to have to show him that you mean business and send him (and the dean by bcc) a really scathing e-mail so that he folds quickly.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.