[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First programming job out of college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_n7qvl42k6T1rpowflo1_1280.jpg (301KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7qvl42k6T1rpowflo1_1280.jpg
301KB, 1067x800px
Hi /adv/

I graduated from college a month ago. I'm from Ireland, and I got a degree in software engineering with a 2:1, thats the same as a 3.5GPA in the USA as far as I know. I've covered the usual programming languages Java, MySQL, Javascript, PHP, etc. and I know android development well too. I have no student debt at all, and I'm living with my folks right now. I have nearly a years experience as an intern with a major tech company (which I won't name)

I feel like I have a lot of doors open to me but I am unsure about where to start. I live in a small town and don't have a driver's licence, and there are no jobs at all in my county. Most tech jobs are in Dublin which is the capital and has high rent costs. My problem is that I don't want to just apply for a whole lot of jobs there or elsewhere in the country and taking the first thing that's available, and it ending up not suiting me. I feel like I don't have enough knowledge about what to expect from a full-time job like this, pay, what language is best as a first job etc. Are there any developers here who can chime in with advice for a graduate like me who is just starting out? Sorry this question is vague, I can provide more info if asked
>>
>>18478120

Yeah. You shouldn't be picky about FT Job #1. I get that you have a year's experience as an intern, but realistically that most likely did not give you enough exposure to the job.

You SHOULD be applying to a lot of jobs. You should NOT be taking the first available thing unless the market is that bad -- chances are you should have at least a two or more offers to consider.
>>
There should be a website for your country where you can go and look at things like average starting salary and job prospects. See if you can find something like that.

Also talk to the careers office at your university, they often have a ton of information about this sort of thing.
>>
Take the first half-decent job and then, if it sucks, look for another.

Don't make the mistake of having a large gap in employment because of inaction.
>>
>>18478613
>Don't make the mistake of having a large gap in employment because of inaction.
I agree, but at the same time, if he's going to be unemployed, it's better that he is unemployed now than later when he has more responsibilities and need for money. As long as he's doing something else in the meantime e.g. volunteering or upskilling, it's not going to be too much of an issue at this stage
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.