[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I tell my family I don't believe in their religion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1497158229393.jpg (269KB, 647x1149px) Image search: [Google]
1497158229393.jpg
269KB, 647x1149px
I grew up in a Christian household and still am. I am 18 years old now and decided that I don't want to follow my family's path. But I have not told my family and my parents know my older siblings are not going to follow their beliefs but they count on me so much and my younger sibling and they would be very devastated if I told them this. I need help, I have been thinking like this since I was 14 and honestly I don't know what to do.
>>
>don't you worry. You have the right to think what You want

>all religions are scam

>a belief is just a thought you keep thinking
>so you can change this by thinking other things.

>just stay true to your self
>>
You don't have to tell them anything. Why make it a point to tell them like some fag who needs to tell his family he's a queer?
I used to doubt religion as well but I know for a fact now that God exists and that there a lot of spirits and such all around. What I am unsure of is any particular religion being right, but God and the spiritual world does exists and faith as well.
There will be a lot of fedora tipping but I have no interest in showing anyone that God exists, not really my concern what others think
>>
Here is some unbiased advice friend.

Believe in what you want but religion is a tricky subject. I grew up in similar family went to catholic elementary school high school and at one point sort of believed in god.

I became depressed becuse i knew something wasnt right with it so kind of spiraled from there. You should stick with your feelings instead of living a lie. If you even try to force yourself to believe something there is merit to insanity.
>>
I am already decided, I don't want to follow any religion, I want to go out in the world and be free, try to figure out what I want to do in life without any force I can't see or feel holding me back. The problem is that I fear that my parents will not want to be in their presence anymore even though I love them very much.

My grandmother still cries that I have not been baptised and tells my parents to make sure not to fall out of their religion.

I do not believe in myself falling into depression, that is just not my character. But I feel like I will go crazy, hiding these emotions from them.
>>
I left my religion and was happy to let my mother pray for me.
It's a relief in the end
>>
>>18476985
Like I said, there's no need to tell them
Go do what you want but there's no need to go on about how you reject their beliefs
>>
>>18476945
Why tell them? Go through the motions while you live at home - it's not really hypocrisy, more a gesture of love and respect.
>>
>>18476995
It is not that simple, to just lie to them until they die or I die. They deeply care about me and I love them very much. In this religion they don't believe their sons leave the house until they get married with someone in the same religion. How else can I pull it off? I just want an answer to how I can make them understand how I feel, because I know that them getting the news of their 4th child leaving God will hurt them deeply
>>
>>18477005
And you somehow think it's better to tell them you don't believe in God instead of having them tell themselves you just want to explore the world
Face it, you want to tell them because you want them to be forced to accept your beliefs. You're more interested about venting your feelings than their feelings, like some chick
>>
>>18476996
Caving on your beliefs to placate others is usually something hypocrites and weak minded people will do
>>
>>18477035
Yes, breaking your parents' hearts is the best way to stand up for your beliefs. Fedora tipping teenage edgelord
>>
>>18477025
That is so illogical. If I didn't care about their feelings then I would have told them a long time ago that I didn't want to live in a religious household. And obviously, yes I do care about my feelings, but I also care for theirs. It's not like my ultimate plan is to erase them out of my life. And it is not an excuse to explore the world, I honestly do not believe in any God. There are more things to take into consideration than your simple one.
>>
>>18477049
Whatever you have to tell yourself, snowflake
Go do it already
>>
You don't.
Don't talk about it, don't mention it, don't even hint that.
Do yourself a favor, and keep it from your family. I used to have a very anti-theistic phase (fortunately, I'm not anti anymore.) and I spilled the beans. Since I spilled the beans, I get awkward faces from my family. The awkward faces are from my mother's side. If my father's side would find out for sure - I'd get beaten. (My dad doesn't really cares about it, he is a live and let live kind of guy. Very chill).

In short - avoid this specific conflict. Especially if you hold dear your status within the family.
>>
As a christian I'd tell you, believe in God.

Since you don't want to here's the actual advice, if your family is actually Christian they literally believe you will burn in hell forever if you never believed in Christ, so be understanding of their concern and resistance to you trying to live without their religion.

Try to avoid the topic, and if they mention it or assume your belief, try to ask a polite question that implies your disbelief, like "I don't get why God would want me to do x, or why he did x, or why you would believe x without this or that evidence?" This will slowly get the message across that you don't believe what they are telling you without making you seem disinterested or uncaring to learn. Try to make them polite, genuine, and not accusing, demeaning, or insulting questions, being this subtle and patient of this may be hard but I strongly believe it will work out better for you and for family if you patiently wait out their acceptance of your situation than to reveal it and oppose them dramatically.

I wish you good luck in your situation.
>>
>>18477077
They don't actually believe in hell, they are jehovah witnesses. They believe that if you die you get a second chance to enter into paradise if you decline or armageddon gets you, it's eternal death. Not eternal fire or damnation. Every religion has different rules and teachings but they are not so different. that is the point, they act the same way, all religions are this way, that they are the true path and that in the end, you will get a divine reward for being a follower. I can safely say that religion is why we suffer, why there are wars in this world, why there is simply conflict. These are the reasons I myself cannot just accept to do these spiritual practices.
>>
>>18477121
>I can safely say that religion is why we suffer, why there are wars in this world, why there is simply conflict.
lol no, it's not that simple but I remember when I was a teen and thought similar
If you were a woman all you'd need to do is add how without men there would no war and yadda yadda yadda
>>
>>18477121
I'll tell you my religion is different, but will spare you the details because you don't seem like the person who wants them.

I think people will always be different enough for conflict with or without religion, since it's ultimately just an extension of people's collective beliefs, it will always exist in a way.
>>
>>18477136
I believe that too. My mistake, I was trying to say that all these religions are part of the reason why there are wars and suffering. I am not saying that your religion makes you violent, but there are extremists on every side no matter what. But all this talk about doing the lord's work and getting peace in the end is not logical. There must always be negative and a positive, one can't live without the other. I didn't come here for reasons that I should follow God and all this preaching to get me back into believing something we can't see, which is the unknown. I came for advice on how to cope with my family about my belief and decisions.
>>
>>18476945
Tell them to an FUCK OFF!
>>
>>18476945
>hey guys im an edgy teen and i want to ruin my relationship with my family kek
>>
>>18476945
>mom dad I'm a satanist
Done
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.