[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is a sociology degree worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: Sociology-Shutter.jpg (446KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Sociology-Shutter.jpg
446KB, 1000x667px
is a sociology degree worth it?
>>
This isn't direct advice but please don't be put off by people who say "shoulda studied STEM XD XD XD"
If you need a sociology degree and it will get you the job you're aiming for then do it
>>
It can be, just be aware that at PHD level the field has been oversaturated for 20 years.
>>
>>18474203
Why are they laughing? Shouldn't you make your opponent as convincing as yourself if you want to convince someone?
>>
No. Major in STEM or do anything else and plan to get a masters/phd
>>
>>18474278
STEM is boring. Not every retard wants/should do it. I highly doubt you did.
>>
Lmao no it's pseudo-science bullshit nobody takes it seriously for a reason
>>
>>18474274
Because it isn't a real science, and an attempt at replicating studies found a 75% failure rate
>>
>>18474295
Maybe in your circle of shut in losers

OP I would study socioloy but wouldn't major in it. You can still get a career no matter what your degree is in, but you have to be smart and ambitious.

Again sociology only has theoretical application. STEM is a better bet because the research is not coming up bunk like psychology and biology studies are (irreproduicible experimenr results).

I guess you could do something with research or human resources or management or statistics for the govt

But why youd want to do that is a mystery to me

There are positions for sociologists in most major organizations, but again I don't know if its a safe bet.

Probably do you research somewhere other than 4chan, ya dingus.
>>
>>18474341
your claim is irreproducible

Citation?
>>
>>18474373
>only has theoretical application
That doesn't even work. Are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>18474378
Your english is vague, your point is obscure, and you argue by calling people stupid and that's all.

So no, you're probably stupid. You confuse not prefering soft science with being a shut in loser who is afraid of education.

As someone who knows a single person who graduated college, your pathetic little fox and the grapes act is not fooling me
>>
>>18474287
I am going to med school and majoring in psych
>>
>>18474386
What part of "sociology doesn't fucking work" was vague? Do you have the reading comprehension of a 2 year old?
>>
>>18474445
Okay stupid. There's obviously zero point in talking to someone as uneducated as you.

Going to med school btw, not studying sociology.

Enjoy being an incel, bro.
>>
>>18474483
Going to med school and doesn't even know the definition of vague. Color me impressed. Have fun with all that debt retard LMAO
>>
>>18474726
yeah you got me there. (not really. you are very stupid, so successfully insulting me would be very difficult for you.)

enjoy being stupid
>>
>>18474762
Not one capital letter in that entire post. Are you seeing a pattern here doc?
>>
>>18474375
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/27/study-delivers-bleak-verdict-on-validity-of-psychology-experiment-results
Next time just google it.
>>
>>18474378
The point is that the people who are interested in it are almost exclusively academics. It has little practical application
>>
As someone who studied sociology for 5 years and then became a data analyst after an additional IT traineeship, I'm going to say don't do it unless you have a specific goal in mind. I wanted to work for the government in a research position and for something like that sociology can be a logical choice. However, the field is saturated, so you need to be quite exceptional to get the job. Universities are now experirimenting with masters in data analysis, which offer much better opportunities since the demand is very high in the private sector. Plus, then you are not tied down to a subject. Numbers are numbers, and if you want to apply analysis to "sociological" data, you can of course do so. Also, researchers/sociologists have crap job security and are underpaid.
>>
>>18475061

I forgot to add that if you are interested in the data part of science, you should also have a look at a econometry or statistics major
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.