[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I zone out a lot and I need help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: P8hyeWK.jpg (116KB, 663x375px) Image search: [Google]
P8hyeWK.jpg
116KB, 663x375px
Hi /adv/

I seriously need some advice. I have a problem where I zone out a lot. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like I'm in my own little world for a moment before I "snap" back into reality. It happens out of my control during conversations, while I'm reading, watching movies, writing emails and now my biggest roadblock: driving.

The other things are not life threatening and I can semi live with. But over the past 6 months I've been taking driving lessons and after I've gotten over the learning to drive stage I'm zoning out constantly while driving. Some driving lessons I zone out more than others (sometimes after an hour, sometimes straight after 20 minutes), however with my test coming up soon my driving instructor has advised me to maybe cancel it, as it's actually dangerous for me to go out driving. He's happy with me taking the test if I want, but even if I passed it'd still be dangerous for me to drive.

I've had concentration problems as a child and through university as well. Mostly while other people are talking like lecturers, teachers, friends etc. I just drift off, I might nod my head to make it look like I'm listening but I'm definitely NOT. I suspect I might have ADD, although it could be something else.

I live in the UK and I've seen my GP (doctor) about it, explained I thought I might have ADHD (I should have said ADD to be honest - I'm definitely not hyperactive apart from my shaking my leg up and down a lot and fidgeting with stuff) however she said as an adult it's much easier to deal with zoning out. Apparently because I had decent grades in school she didn't think it was so serious. She didn't want to put me on medication because it would show up on job interviews and stuff like that and it would hinder my job applications. She said that people who zone out find coping mechanisms to deal with it.

I'm honestly hopeless right now, I have no idea what to do.
>>
>>18474011
I have the same problem, it's gotten a lot better with age for some reason.
>>
>>18474038
I'm in my early 20s. Did you talk to anyone about this?
>>
I have this too. I've had it my whole life. Over the past few years I've realised I do it to cope with boredom and stress. I'm not sure what the solution is, other than to focus on focusing. Seems like an oxymoron though.

Seems shit she wouldn't prescribe ADHD medication for you. Did she even test you for it? How exactly would an interviewer know about it? It's not like they have access to your medical records.

Recently I've been thinking about getting some adderall off the dark net to see whether it helps me because I'm pretty sure if I went to my doctor she'd be unhelpful as well. Haven't done it yet though because it's a pain in the ass and I don't want to get arrested.

I think it would help if you figure out what causes you to zone out and come up with some strategies to keep yourself focused (for example, keeping an internal monologue going of what you're planning on doing next to avoid getting distracted). Meditation might help too, because it's all about not letting thoughts distract you and focusing on the present moment. It's hard though. I've tried it and I hate it because I struggle a lot with it.
>>
>>18474301
She didn't test me for anything, apart from taking some blood tests which one of the three I'm still waiting for the result. I think I'll definitely go back to discuss with her again and really try to hammer in the fact it's having a big impact on my life. Not being able to drive would be a massive setback. I also look like a massive idiot asking people to repeat themselves, sometimes two or three times if they're asking me to do something.

Apparently companies would have access to my medical records if I took medication (she specifically mentioned Ritalin). Supposedly if they are deciding between me and another candidate and I'm the one taking medication, they are almost guaranteed to take the other person. In all honesty, if I only had that as a drawback to be 'normal' I would totally do it.

From what I've read online, if it is ADD, my brain doesn't get enough dopamine from doing certain 'boring' tasks. For example, I'd get bored from being in the car too long (although this sometimes happens after 20 minutes) and my mind goes somewhere else. I've noticed while I'm zoned out I'm thinking about a song, or having a future conversation with someone or just thinking about random stuff. Meditation does sound like a good idea. Thanks anon, it's one of the things I will try.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.