[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

crippling awkwardness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

So I'm pretty socially awkward. I usually take time to mentally prepare myself before I initiate any conversation. Unsolicited conversations are usually just stressful and sometimes even terrifying. So I project my awkwardness onto other people, and just assume that everyone is put off by any unsolicited interaction. This blends nicely with my weak self confidence to make me paranoid that every time I interact with someone that didn't ask for it, I always comes off as creepy. To that end, I'm freaking terrified to talk to anyone that doesn't talk to me first. It doesn't help that I've got a dothraki build that makes me look like I could crush anyone in my path.

I don't know, maybe this is more just a post for validation of my own self deprecation. But I am curious if anyone else feels this way? I read dating guides online, and no one really touches on this subject.
>>
I usually only speak when spoken to, unless there's something I need from someone or it's some sort of service interaction.
It's gotten really bad at work since people just stopped talking to me at all and think I'm being arrogant.
>>
Why not quite the same as I'm a weak looking lanklet I was in a similar predicament.
Do you know for a fact people at work think you're arrogant? Irrelevant either way, just curious.

You're going to need to stop preparing yourself for conversations, spooky but necessary. You're also going to need to make yourself participate in conversations every chance you get. The end goal is hopefully you'll be able to handle the stress that you face and in turn make you less stressed. Depending on your will, confidence or balls you'll have to start either small or go all out to begin with, I recommend small as going big if you're not prepared can do more harm than good.
Make conversations with the checkout chick, even just say "hi" and then when you're comfortable say "how are you". Do this multiple times a day so buy cheap stuff like fruit at different stores or something similar. Expose yourself continuously until the stress is tolerable in the sense that you can do it with little to no hesitation. Make sure to take note of how the other person reacts to you, and evaluate after each situation how they might have felt. Keep doing things like this and make them more and more challenging. Some examples I can think of some challenging things; making convo with people in elevators, cab drivers, people at bars.
Another good thing to do is to expose yourself to your feared outcome. What I gathered from your post is that you don't want people to think you're creepy, or arrogant. Correct me if I'm wrong.
What you want to do is something that will make you come across as those things, this will expose you to the feared outcome and eventually you'll learn to tolerate it and not see it as much of an issue, eventually making it less scary.
>>
>>18473743
>cont
tldr exposure therapy

Some say it doesn't work but I believe it's because they aren't committed. It's like getting fit, you have to put a lot of effort in and sometimes spend long amounts of time to see considerable improvements. I used this method to get over my social anxiety, 1 year ago I feared leaving my house, now I go out multiple times a week. I'm not psychologist or professional so I may have explained it poorly so please ask any questions. The book I posted originally is a good read and has some good scenarios to place yourself in. Just remember this isn't an overnight thing, and it's hard but it does work.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.