[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living in NYC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: New-York.jpg (620KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
New-York.jpg
620KB, 2000x1000px
Where do I live within commutable distance to Manhattan, financial district, making 65k a year?

My employer also pays for all my metro/bus usage.

I'm cool with under an hours commute. I just want to live cheap until I pay off student debt, or get a promotion.
>>
If you're in the financial district, try St. George, in Staten Island. Taking the ferry is 25 min which takes you to Battery Park.

Some parts are ghetto, but they're currently building an outlet mall there to bring in tourists and to gentrify the area.
>>
>>18470401
That works. Anywhere near NJ? I've got a gf, and family there.
>>
>>18470392
you can live in new york on 65k a year? news to me. that said
>living in new york
like. eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh idk man. that doesn't seem worth it. I already live in a dense area and there's entirely too many fucking people all over the place. that sounds terrible.
>>
>>18470401
Also fyi, anywhere in NYC is going to be expensive. The other option is moving to New Jersey and finding an apartment by a train that can take you to Manhattan. Hoboken and Jersey City are pretty close to the Financial District, but are also pretty pricey.

Source: used to work at One World Trade Center.
>>
>>18470406
St. George is north of SI, so you'd be close to the Bayonne bridge which'll take you into Bayonne, NJ

I've known a couple of people who lived in Bayonne that commuted to FiDi. I don't know much about the area, but I heard it can be nice or crappy.

There is a path train that goes right into the Oculus near WTC, so if you want to live in NJ, I recommend finding a place near a Path or NJ transit station.
>>
>>18470407
I honestly hate the big city enviorment. I was born in the country. but in terms of career, if I want to stay on the East Coast, New York is my only option.

>>18470410
thanks, yea, living in Manhattan is insane, my cousin pays like 2000k to live in a box.
>>
There's also downtown Brooklyn, like in Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights, but you'll be paying at least $1500 for a 1 bedroom.
>>
>>18470420
>new York only option

As someone from New York, it feel like it's the worst option. I want to pursue a career in the animation or game industry and I feel like all my dream jobs are in California.
>>
>>18470430
Lol shit, you are in the same boat as me. I'm a 3D animator and motion designer get hired by a game company.

I want to just build up expierence and then get hired at one of those studio in Maryland or something. Firaxis and Bethsda are down there.

Right now Im trying to shift my career from Commercial to games. I'd rather be a charctr rigger or tech artist.
>>
>>18470445
Sorry for the typos, it's late and I;ve had some celebratory booze in me in celebration of getting a job.
>>
>>18470445
I went to school to draw comics and illustration, but I realized it's a career where I'd have to chain myself to my desk to make a living out of it, and it takes the enjoyment out of drawing. I realize now I'd love to do art for a game or animation studio. I can't animate, but since I love drawing comics, Im really interested in storyboarding. I used to work as a Production Artist for a slot game company in NYC, but I got laid off 5 months ago and I've had trouble finding similar work. It just feels like there's not a lot of options for me here. Im hoping to build up a storyboard portfolio good enough to get hired by a studio like Blue Sky, since they're in Connecticut. I'm currently also teaching myself Autodesk Maya so I can know how to 3d model and hopefully get good enough to get a job as a character artist for a game company.
>>
>>18470456
Well, I think you;re in for some desk chaining no matter what.

Im looking into freelancing. I'd love to just gid gud, and be able to work from home.
>>
>>18470498
Yeah but if you're chained to a desk in an office, at least you have people to socialize with

I tried freelancing for a while and felt miserable, but I also didn't create a strict routine for myself
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.