[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writing a thesis paper for bachelor degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Suicide.jpg (35KB, 320x234px) Image search: [Google]
Suicide.jpg
35KB, 320x234px
Guys, I'm going to graduate uni in less than 4 months and it's required for me to write a 30-40 pages thesis paper. I've finished in advance all the exams and got pretty good grades, but for some reason I can't focus on writing my paper. It's not that I don't like the argument, I've chosen it just because I like it and it fascinates me. However I can't find myself working on it for more than 5 minutes straight without taking a break to do something else. I can't even bring myself to define the structure of the paper because it feels like that standing in front of the screen looking at the same things to come up with an idea five, or ten, or more minutes later (assuming it comes) makes me lose that time. It feels like I'm spending those minutes doing basically nothing until I have for an idea that lasts a fraction of a second. At this pace I'm not going to make it in time. And the more I read about the argument, the bigger the disorientation of not having enough to say about it. Any suggestion except "change topic"? That's one thing I can't do, this is the only one I think I can somehow give a contribute
>>
First off, don't panic. You have plenty of time left.
Secondly, if you feel you don't have enough to say about the topic then you havnt done enough reading on it yet. Go explore the literature and dig really deep into the topic.
>>
>>18464510
Iktf breh, I did basically nothing for 2 months, then wrote 40pages in one month and basically did all the research in that time. It was horrible. Those 2 months I couldn't focus on what I was doing for 5 minutes, in the last month my focus was often laser sharp because I felt the gun at the back of my head. If I knew the solution I'd tell you, but I haven't gotten wiser from that and countless similar experiences
>>
Thank you both anons. Apart from the strictly technical aspect of the work (reading more will surely help), I was wondering if it will be worth to "simulate" conditions to push me. I mean, is it possible and useful to set up something that istinctively makes me think that spending, like, 20 minutes doing nothing but trying to come up with an idea is better than spending those 20 minutes doing something else? Or something that deceives my brain in thinking that what I have to do is more urgent than it actually is? And if so, any ideas of what could it be? Maybe asking others to put some constrictions? (example: I live with my parents and my mother usually prepares lunch and dinner: should I instruct her not to do anything until I finish some kind of daily task? That is, in general, setting up a work schedule with punishments for not respecting it).
Any experience with something like that?
>>
>>18464619
I'm the second anon, I once bought ritalin in order to be able to focus, but even the ritalin didn't make me give a shit until I felt the deadline coming.

I did the best work when I jumped right into writing a paper. Most ideas and questions arise when you're writing, so by writing an etymology, or kind of introduction to your topic you can't go wrong
>>
>>18464619
I'm a programmer and I know the feeling of being lost especially at the start of a project which is large in scope. What helps me is what people call the Pomodoro Technique. Set a timer, how much time you set will end up depending on you and how you work but generally I suggest starting around 30 minutes, if you feel like you're racing the clock set more time if you end up procrastinating set less. In those 30 minutes complete one task. Obviously this task needs to be small so maybe it can be writing just a short paragraph on some aspect of the topic of your paper, or if you're still in the research phase reading about one particular aspect of what you're going to be writing about. After that 30 minutes, take a break, stretch, go outside and have a breath of fresh air, make some tea, whatever, generally the first break should be short, 5-10 minutes and increase slightly with each 30 minute task you complete. The key is that you should never be sitting down thinking "I'm going to be writing a 40 page thesis!" setting a timer forces you to limit your scope to something manageable, you don't need to know exactly when in the paper something is going to be said to have a rough idea of how you're going to say it. And when you have put a few things on paper maybe a task could be to place those ideas relative to each other and suddenly you have the startings of a structure.
>>
>>18464763
Will surely try that, thank you
>>
Get a microcassette tape recorder. Go away from all distractions. If you have some key notes, that will help you getting to think about your chosen topic, bring them. Now for a day or tow, spend time just thinking about it. When you get a new idea, record it. Bring pen and paper, if you need them for your thought process. Think. Get unconventional crazy ideas. Explore them. What if. Explore. And record your thoughts. After a few days of doing this, take one day off. Then listen to the tape, and type it out. Print it. Next day, start working with restructuring those thoughts and ideas you came up with. Good luck.
>>
>>18464763

I'm actually writing the last large paper I need to graduate with my first bachelors.

I'm sitting in a coffee shop writing it because I'm so distracted - obviously I'm on 4chan.

I'm going to give this method a shot.
>>
>>18465225
This sounds really good too, thanks anon
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.