[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I recently graduated with my MA in Philosophy. Had a good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: meaning-life5.jpg (197KB, 1000x797px) Image search: [Google]
meaning-life5.jpg
197KB, 1000x797px
So, I recently graduated with my MA in Philosophy. Had a good time, wrote a decent thesis on Continental Philosophy, and then was rejected from every PhD program I applied to. Now I'm trying to get a job in my old field (mental health), and can't even manage to get hired on the level I was working with my BA. These people are desperate for applicants. No idea why I'm not getting hired back. I have a BA in Psychology, with numerous honors & awards, plus two years working experience in mental health.

Tried applying for other kinds of random positions, but no luck there either. I only have experience in mental health and education/university.

It's been two months of applications, with no luck whatsoever. Living with parents for now in a rural area, slowly running out of money. I'm at the end of my tether, anons. Any meaningful suggestions as to what to do?

>inb4 "LOL Philosophy, shoulda studied STEM"
>>
>>18462452
Yup, shoulda studied STEM. Why did you even if you already knew?!

The only obvious option otherwise is that you can try to be the next layer in the pyramid scheme of education no one needs. "Get degree with almost only doing stuff that might be your hobby, learn psychology and philosophy at anon university!"
>>
>>18462470
Not everyone is a scientist despite the job market's attempts to force the populace to be.
>>
>>18462470
>implying getting a STEM degree while being bad at it is better than getting a degree in something that you're good at
>>
living in poverty is part of the philosophy life style.
>>
>>18462713
this is the only acceptable answer
>>
>>18462713
MATERIALISM IS FOR THE WEAK MINDED
>>
>>18462452
You're not getting any call backs because a bachelor's in psych is damn near worthless and your MA makes you look both overqualified and uncommitted. They're not as desperate as you think, given that the professional schools have churned out a glut of MA level social workers and counselors who will work for just above minimum wage.
>>
>>18462792
This.

You got the worst degrees imaginable for this current economy.

Better learn to code shitty websites OP.
>>
>>18462792
>MA in Philosophy makes one look uncommitted to fields that are basically the bastard offspring of Philosophy

Nice.
>>
I think the operative question from OP is "do you have any MEANINGFUL suggestions"? Then s/he gets a bunch of boneheads saying crap I'm sure OP has heard hundreds of times already.

Either none of you are trying to put effort into your responses, or you're probably more inept than OP is, in spite of his/her purportedly stupid educational decisions.

Seriously, if you're not going to put any effort into your advice, or even reading the original post, you should go back to /pol/ or /b/. They love your kind over there.
>>
>I recently graduated with my MA in Philosophy
Here you go OP. I hope this helps.
>>
>>18463180
How was your day at the drive-through?
>>
What do you want to do? Have you tried approaching places you want to work at?
>>
>>18462711
kek, do you have any idea how easy is it for even incompetent programmers to get decent jobs?
>>
I know this is a bit of an odd idea but consider it:
if you previously got hired with just your BA why not apply to a few places and only mention the BA and experience and omit the MA and see if that makes a difference. Maybe theyre intimidated with the over qualification or that you branched out into a different field of study.
>>
>>18463409
Thanks for asking. I would ideally like to get back into working in mental health or something else that is interesting/unpredictable, while providing a liveable wage and regular schedule.

I've had a few interviews, but then I don't get hired. This is strange, as I got hired pretty much right after the interview for both of my last jobs (before grad school).

>>18463410
This is something I've thought about. Do you know which languages are most useful when looking for jobs, or any decent learning methods (books, software, etc.)?

>>18463414
I've definitely considered this, but thought that the two-year employment gap would be more of a handicap. Even though they may think I'm overqualified and/or a snob, it's probably better than having them think I was sitting around picking my nose for two years.
>>
>>18462452
I'm going into college pretty soon....damn it's scary how one can spend all their time and money for a degree only to be unable to use it.

I have an idea...I like philosophy, I can use your degree...here, let me eat it!

Best of luck, that's life- the present is life.
>>
>>18463577
>I've had a few interviews, but then I don't get hired. This is strange, as I got hired pretty much right after the interview for both of my last jobs (before grad school).
What do you think you're doing differently, apart from having your MA?
>>
>>18462452
Fine arts major here, you fucked up. Have you considered looking at trades?
>>
>>18463696
Don't worry about it. I'll find something eventually, and you will too, even if you study something in the arts. Just make a point of minoring or double majoring in something more applicable, or formulating a good backup plan.

I don't regret my MA... It was free. I even got a salary! Getting paid to sit around and read all day about profound stuff is my idea of heaven.

>>18463702
I think I'm perhaps a little more "subdued" than I used to be... It's not that I'm less enthusiastic, but I'm more reserved in how I express myself. Going to read Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" as a counterbalance.

>>18463721

Fine arts... You have my admiration! I have looked into trades, but then I'd need to get a tech degree, which I don't have the money for right now. Would be open to it in the future.
>>
>>18463791
Yeah, in spite of getting a degree in something I enjoy, it's effectively worthless in terms of employability (that's why I'm going in for a CAD certificate, because then I'll actually have something marketable). If you can't afford schooling, you could always look into an apprenticeship instead. You'd have to interview for it, of course, but that way you'd be learning what you need and making money at the same time.
>>
>>18463798
Are you British? I've heard of apprenticeships in GB that operate independently of degree programs, but here in the (Midwestern) US, I'm not aware of any availability of apprenticeships outside of accredited degree programs.

If there are any (in the US), please let me know how to find them.
>>
>>18463828
No, southwest US. If it's anything like how my region does it, you should be able to look for employment on your county's website, and they'll list people to contact for apprenticeships. Failing that, pick out a trade you're interested in and see if there's anyone local looking for apprentices.
>>
>>18462452
Have you considered doing an MA in Psychology?
>>
>>18462470
There are more ways to make a living than to build a better mousetrap, anon.
>>
>>18463947
This is the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks a million, anon.

>>18464003

Yes, though those programs don't typically offer much financial aid. As I noted earlier, I only did my MA in Philosophy because it was free, with a stipend.

>>18464030

XD Yes. This thread is improving.

Thanks folks!
>>
>>18462452
Why would you get a meme-ass degree?

I literally went to art school for animation and I make 65k with benefits. Though 90% of my class works at a retail or grocery store because they were lazy, impracticable, socially retarded fucks. Philosophy major is WORSE THAN GOING TO ART SCHOOL.

Go back and get a degree in something people pay for.
>>
>>18464086
I'll give more advice.

Apply to literally any trucker/driving position website. They are so fucking desperate for drivers that I now regret being one last year, as my phone STILL gets fucking calls about "WE CAN RUSH YOUR CDL LICENSE MOTHA FUCKA COME DRIVE"

I temp drove for FedEx with some embellishment about driving for Uber. If you just do a good job they'll want to hire full time. If you show up, and are cleaner looking than most crack heads, you are hired.

FedEX is gathering drivers for the Christmas season RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

You could listen to "le wasn't real communism" and "why this philosopher, actually had a slightly different, but ultimately meaningless, view of what infinity and the sublime is." on tape while you drive and postulate about stupid ass shit nobody gives a fuck about. Then you could write some hipster ass book and get rich later.
>>
>>18464113
Cool, thanks again.

So I've got

1) Apprenticeships on county website
2) Driver

That's a lot better off than I was yesterday. Thanks!
>>
The fact that so many of you were willing to provide support and advice to a total stranger is truly inspiring.

I just got a call back from a company for a full-time position with benefits. A good company, with a well-thought out philosophy. Huge relief, as my budget was starting to get pretty tight.

Don't let anyone tell you that degrees in the arts are worthless! Just don't be afraid to start at the bottom somewhere.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.