[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I convince my parents that my mom needs mental help.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1492221139358.jpg (68KB, 519x519px) Image search: [Google]
1492221139358.jpg
68KB, 519x519px
I love my parents, and they are very great and do everything they can for me. Even letting me move back in with them after quitting a horrible job to take online classes for a masters and helping me take control of my depression and anxiety that I have been struggling with for the past few years. They are typically very loving and happy. But after getting therapy for myself I realized that a lot of what I see in my mom's psych isn't normal.

My mom is currently in the other room blowing up in a rage at my father because the amazon radio played a song that she found offensive and thought my dad was the one that put it on there. They have been arguing about this for hours and it's not the first time my moms has created unnecessary drama over her own thoughts and extreme mood swings, often times not being able to listen to reason.

They absolutely hate getting me in the middle of it, but in a small house like ours its unavoidable. They often apologize to me, reassuring me that it's never my fault, and that what they do is fine and healthy and they love each other and this is just what they do.

But it's been something I see getting consistently worse over time. My mom's mood-swings continue to get more irrational and out of control. She has some clear paranoia and anxiety issues and has become increasingly more controlling even towards me. For example, I'm 28 years old and have have lived away from them for the past five years, yet she'll freak out if I so much as step out to grab a coffee if I don't leave her a note or tell her.

I've brought up maybe getting therapy for my mom several times to both her and my dad, and they are both rather dismissive of it because they don't trust it, even though I'm currently going and find that it's certainly helped me. I was looking up online various things it could be and I'm almost certain my mom may have a form of borderline personality disorder. I don't know how to get them the help they need. What can I do?
>>
>>18460646
Although I have no advice to give, I am experiencing similar problems with my mother. There are days where I would do something wrong by accident, such as bring her the wrong drink, and she would hit me irrationally (I'm 22 and can't move out since I can't afford a place to live). She's an alcoholic and has mentioned that she has bipolar disorder.
Daily, she would tell everyone in our house, my father and I, that she's in pain and that she thinks it's breast cancer, a rotten liver, or anything similar. She has went to the hospital to get check with nothing coming out positive, yet she insists that she has something wrong with her.
She would often tell me that I shouldn't worry or be sadden if she passes away, almost like if she has a few weeks left to live. Keep in mind she's been telling me this "goodbye advice" for years now.
I try to get her into psychiatric help/counseling, yet she isn't fully commited. I love her way too much to see her like this, especially since my younger sister depends on them, my parents.
Hopefully my bump can help you seek your answer.
>>
>>18460646
Try talking to her before relying on someone else. Try to understand what really bothers her, if there's anything you can do. Also, did you try expressing affection? Like with a hug or a kiss? There's no mother who wouldn't find confort and calmness by her own child showing love
>>
>>18460646
You're never too old to hug your mom, just try to calm her down for now. If she notices something's wrong with her, only then should you suggest therapy or medical help.
>>
Show your parents /r9k/ and explain to them how traps aren't gay.
>>
>>18460646
Suggest a physical exam to your mother, and privately tell the doctor of your concerns. Maybe she'll accept the suggestion of therapy from him.
>>
>>18461095
>>18461144

I'm very affectionate with my mother. I hug her just about every day. It calms her down slightly, but it's a temporary solution at best. I have talked with her previously about what bothers her and why she is thinking the way she thinks. I can comfort her the best I can, but her controlling behavior and her irrational thoughts and fears are a little more difficult to control since, even if she is aware that what she's thinking isn't reality, she cant control how she reacts.

I was talking with my father about it this afternoon. He agrees that my mom's actions are getting out of hand and he finally accepts that she needs to start getting help. The issue now is convincing her. She typically tries to find any person or situation to blame for her thoughts and actions, rather than taking responsibility.

>>18461095

I'm sorry to hear you are going through a very similar thing. It hard to see the people we love like this. I hope you can find your answers as well.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.