[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long is it acceptable to live with your parents?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

File: 1498246679126.jpg (54KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1498246679126.jpg
54KB, 300x300px
How long is it acceptable to live with your parents?
>>
>>18459588
As long as you want, provided your career makes a lot of money. If your making $150k a year, then who cares if your living with your parents
>>
>>18459588

there is no hard line, its really more about where you're going and less then where you are. if it looks like you are living with your parents indefinitely then it doesn't matter how young you are, its still pathetic.
>>
It differs from culture to culture.

Me personally, as an American, I feel that if you aren't going to college, you should be saving starting in high school, and working hard to move out ASAP after graduation. A so like, 19, 20 max.
If you are going to college, I think because its so stupidly expensive and you need to save every penny you can it's acceptable to live with your parents throughout the time you are in school. Once you graduate though, again, you should have enough money set aside to move out and get a real job to support yourself.

That being said, I know I will never fuck a dude at his parent's house. Shit's way too awkward for me personally. I won't think he's a loser or anything for living at home if he meets the above criteria, but I won't fuck him anywhere but like a hotel lol.
>>
>>18459588
You should understand the social consensus in your location best. Then again, often it's wisest to not give a fuck about that and just do what you can justify and want to do.

Societies as a whole tend to be crazy as fuck with their standards.
>>
It's absurd that you care at all. Other people don't care if you die in the streets. I can't comprehend why you would act out of your best interests for the sake of others who only want to beat you down.
>>
>>18459639
Because even though it may be in my personal best interests to never get a job and remain a burden on my parents for my whole life, fully taking advantage of the fact that because they love me they will always foot my bills and feed and house me even if I refuse to do anything to deserve it, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Who wouldn't want to live like that, freeloading and getting everything taken care of for them without them ever lifting a finger? We all would choose that life if there were no other consequences. But its not the right thing to do.
>>
>>18459588
why would you ask me if it's okay to live with your parents? you're not some sort of soft weak little puddle who sits around wondering what people think of your life, are you?
>>
>>18459679
Well, include your parents then and help out with the bills and chores.

Then you have the situation where you, as far as you described, have a better situation than any other. Both you and your parents should have lower bills & less chores, and they are together with their loved ones.

The real reason to move out is if you need other people (gf, kids, certain friends) in your life that your parent's don't need in theirs.
>>
>>18459698
Most of the time this is not the case though, it's almost always some highschool drop out or at best diploma kid working at mcfats and spending any money they earn on themselves and just taking for granted their parents are paying bills, and they have no drive to ever be independent and better their lives.

Because if they did they'd have the money to move out and get that girlfriend/family of their own.
>>
>>18459713
The lives of others are totally irrelevant.

Why do you mold yourself to a world that doesn't care you exist?

You should focus on attaining what you want out of life. Think about where you need to be, and what the best path is to get there.

If you want companions that care about social status, you're free to chase after that.
>>
>>18459588
19-20
>>
>>18460157
No, but this is average as to when it happens.
>t. 20 year old living by himself in an apt now thanks to fulltime job and lousy family.

In my opinion, 23 is a good cutoff date. 25 is the absolute max to really stay with your parents. Any higher and you just look bad.
>>
who cares
>>
>>18459624
You can study in a different country, have a world class course, a new experience, better quality accommodation on a campus, and not get butt raped by fees. Then you can get a job and live in any city you want.

Seems a million times better than living at home.
>>
It depends IMO.

Closing in on 28 and still living at home. I lived away from home for most of college. 6 years of living at home allowed me to weather 2 years of unemployment, pay off my student loans, and save for a house. I put in my first offer on a house today.

You need to have a goal in the next few years if you are living at home. Low/free rent and a support system should allow you to save a significant amount.
>>
>>18459713
What's wrong with that lifestyle anyway if you're paying market rate rent for your room?
>>
>>18460301
Not when you gotta worry about your parents hearing you boinking a girl.

Your sex life is shot.

Also:
>study in a different country
you wouldnt exactly be living at home then would you lmao.

And I also said its acceptable to live with your parents while in college, because it is expensive as hell and you're working to better your life so you one day won't have to live off mommy and daddy's dollar.
>>
>>18460354
If you're paying market rate rent then why not go get your own place?
Unless you are mooching off your parents in some way. Maybe mommy washes your dirty undies for you like a baby, maybe she spoon feeds you dinner.

Because if you are not using your parents as an adult in any way, there's no reason for you to stay home. Go buy your own place and be a real independent adult who takes care of himself 100%
>>
>>18460154
Because you deserve to feel guilty for taking advantage of your parents after giving you 18 years of free shit.
>>
>>18460372
Because I would get lonely.
>>
>>18460379
Make friends. Get a girlfriend.
>>
>>18459624
Why not your place? :D
>>
>>18460377
>Implying parents weren't forced to care for you for 18 years

I see so many people deleted by parents once they hit 18. They chose to bring you into this world. You owe them nothing.

It's impossible to feel guilty when I better my own future and, in turn, theirs. Only an idiot thinks like you.
>>
>>18460404
It'd be fine every now and then, but I like to share that responsibility of hosting, because washing jizzy sheets every night is gonna be killer on my water bill. And time consuming.
>>
>>18460411
Then you should have killed yourself if your life has no value.
>>
>>18460399
I already have plenty of friends and people I hang with from my water polo club. I don't want a partner because I'm not romantically or sexually attracted to anyone. My loneliness is more a lack of being surrounded by people who care about me than simply being isolated.
>>
Dude it definitely varies. I wasn't able to financially support myself fully until I was 25. I know people who are younger than I are who own a house and I know people who are almost 30 and living at home while they save for a house. Go at your own pace, but make sure you're always (or you start very soon) working toward something.
>>
>>18460442
You hang out with your friends/family. You don't need to live with them to see them.
>>
>>18460439
You're speaking gibberish to the wrong person.

I'm a totally different person.

My life has loads of value, and I intend to build a better future for the people I love in this world; parents included. Nepotism is the antidote to so many issues in this world. A retard rejects what is natural and right in favor of what they're told by society.
>>
>>18460460
Then those supposed people who don't value their lives and think they owe their parents nothing should have killed themselves, because they don't appreciate the fact they were born and would rather be dead or non existent.

Seems like the "gibberish" is just big words you don't like friend. If you can't read then you should learn how to.
>>
It depends, here people in their 30s live with their parents.

Some even get married and live with one of the families and one grandmother helps with the child.

I've heard in America you would be a giant loser and your parents would've kicked you out long ago anyway.

Anyway the way I see it living with my parents at 24 facilitates everything for me and lets me save even more. The big problem is intimacy with girls. Having a place is unbeatable in that regard.
>>
>>18460470
You fail to understand that children are property.
>>
>>18460486
You're telling me children can't kill themselves because their parents said no?
Woo buddy, there's a lot of dead kids that would love to prove you wrong.
>>
>>18460495
That's not what I'm saying at all. They're a unit that betters a human life. They're complicated, but they're still ultimately possessions.

You can try and say it's not that way, but possession is everywhere in familial life.

On a deeper level, all parents own their children as extensions of themselves.
>>
>>18460449
It's not the same. I like having my parents ask me about my day or being able to go to places that you can't go to alone like a football game with my younger brothers. My friends are married or engaged so they only catch up with me once every few months because they don't need me for a social life as much as I need them.
>>
>K-LUL
>>
>>18460508
So kids are benefitting off what their parents gave them. Cool, they owe their parents. Because if they felt like their life is not a gift given to them then they should kill themselves because they obviously don't care about their lives.
>>
>>18460516
>call home
>"Hey lil bro, wanna go to a football game? Cool pick you up in a sec"
>????
>Profit!!
>>
>>18460565
What are the main benefits of living out of home that you don't get at home if you plan on being a single person forever?
>>
>>18460589
The sense of pride knowing you aren't mooching off your parents as a grown ass adult in anyway. Unless you are going to 100% support your parents, they won't have to work, you'll wash their clothes, do their dishes, the same way they did for you for 18 years, then you can't live at home with a clean conscious.
>>
>>18460560
Yet parents benefit from bringing them into existence.

There's a euphoria from having your child born that you experience from intense validation.

I can't agree that life is explicitly a gift.
It seems to be that and everything else.

I can only say, with certainty, that a child is a possession that a parent owns.

It's backward to say a child owes a parent regardless as to whether their life is positive or negative.

Objectively, children owe their parents nothing. They never signed a contract to be brought into this world.
>>
>>18460589
IMO playing for real(out on your own) beats the hell out practice mode(living at home). Your time is your time, not helping dad weed the landscaping time or helping mom prep dinner time. You will be forced to make some hard decisions when money/time gets tight. Those times will make you a far better person. When I had an apartment in college I was amazed the shit I managed to deal with despite taking 17 engineering credits and working part time. One possible plan currently is to do a live in renovation on a house. Money and time will be as tight as a 12 year old boy's asshole.

>plan on being a single person forever?

Nothing says you won't meet a girl for a night.
>>
>>18460694
>I can't agree that life is explicitly a gift.
then give it back. If you don't like it and don't see it as a gift, you shouldn't have it. You're a hypocrite for living.

They never signed a contract, but if they don't want it, then they can just kill themselves and no longer have to be here. They are not obligated to be here. If they don't like what their parents gave them then they can kill themselves. Easy as that.
>>
>>18460720
>Commit suicide and violate a deeply ingrained biological imperative
>Bring harm unto all things you value
>It's easy

That's a nonsensical, illogical train of thought that strips people of all emotion and thought.
>>
>>18459588
In most countries and cultures and time periods, forever.

In modern America and parts of Europe, 18-25 depending on how hard-ass your parents are
>>
>>18460736
>I hate my life and I don't want to live
>Kills self
there, it's easy mate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByC8sRdL-Ro
>>
>>18460560
>your life is a gift given to you
Whew, lad
>so kill urself faget
Self-preservation instinct is still a thing
>>
>>18460758
I'm done. This was fun while it lasted, but you're not even for real.

Thanks for making me spin some wheels though
>>
>>18460764
If you don't like your life then why bother. If you don't think life is worth living then kill yourself. Why continue on if you hate it so much. If you hate mommy and daddy so much for forcing this hell upon you. Killing yourself will sure show mommy and daddy for being such horrific cunts for giving birth to you.
>>18460766
Glad you realized your parents gave you a ton of shit and you owe them for it by not being a loser of an adult who continues to sponge off them. Have a good one.
>>
>>18459588
In today's society, if you want to become Pretty Poor Man Pete and plow thots constantly until your older, 21 bare minimum.

If you want to plan for having a nice home and job you can raise a family with, then however long it takes you to finish the degrees for your well paying career path, and then however long to pay off the debt. DO NOT MOVE OUT AND LIVE ON YOUR OWN UNTIL YOUR STUDENT DEBT IS PAID! You will not be able to afford your housing and debt at the same time. Once this is done, save every penny until your a home owner, and not a renter or a tenant, an owner.
>>
>>18460774
>if you hate it so much why bother
Aforementioned self-preservation instincts

You don't read so good

Shitting out a mini-you isn't some grand gift or special act. It's just reproduction.
>>
>>18459588
For as long as it takes to move out.
I (24) recently moved back in with my parents after a breakup since we shared an apartment. I was reluctant at first and would still rather have my own place, but I will have to move in less than a year anyways so it's a good way to save some money.
>>
File: JFburiD_.jpg (18KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
JFburiD_.jpg
18KB, 284x284px
>>18460301
>studying in a different country
>and not get buttraped by fees
>>
>>18460787
Then how do people kill themselves? are you saying this self preservation is impossible to over ride? If you hate your life you can kill yourself. You can't kill yourself because you don't actually hate your life, you're just an anxsty teenager trying to sound edgy. Fuck you mom and dad I didn't ask to be born! Wah.

You like the life you've been gifted, so do your parents a favor and live it, away from them. Give them the ability to fuck freely in their own home again without their loser jobless neet of a son listening in and jerking off furiously.
>>
>>18460812
>only teens have depression
top kek
>>
>>18460821
No teens dont even have depression. They have the normal hormonal mood swings that they call depression to get pity points and to seem special.
>>
>>18459588
Move out between 18 and 21. By 21 you should be fully independent, and that 18-21 bracket gives you time to play around with independence through uni or trade school etc.
>>
File: 1495120182642.jpg (195KB, 553x936px) Image search: [Google]
1495120182642.jpg
195KB, 553x936px
I'm 31 years old, and I still live with my mother.

My mother also has cancer, so I take care of her. Recently, she has been cured.

I'm getting my life together finally but I still feel guilty about leaving her. She has no one else.
>>
I'm almost 25 and I still live at home. It'd just be financially stupid of me to move out if my parents are more than happy to have me here. I do contribute to the household and am saving up to buy a house though.
>>
>>18459588
I'd rather room with my dad and pay half the bills living with him then any of the room mates I've ever had.
>>
>>18460934
Go make babies and bring them to her once in a while. I bet that will make her happier than you.
>>
I just moved out at 28. Worked full time for 5 years so I could afford my own place and not be a rentcuck. People would probably consider it a bit late but the housing prices are fucked here, and people rarely do it on their own.
>>
>>18460434
>water bill

Maybe cause I'm European but that sounds like shit of an excuse
>>
>>18459588
I think 25?
>>
As long as you want is the only acceptable answer.

Any other answer is just a bunch of self important dipshits trying to bind you to their "personal values" which have most likely been forced upon them.
>>
>>18459588
In ancient times (they still do this in Lebanon and possibly white areas of Syria) people used to live with their entire family, simply expand the house and live on different wings of the same property. In China, the parents move in with you when you have a child.
>>
>>18461350
Just don't make them with her. Cos ew.
>>
I'm 31 still at home, moved out one time but had to move back in after I had a mental breakdown. I'm not a very functional member of society, thankfully everyone I know seems to respect that. I'll be moving out again soon, hopefully for good this time.
>>
File: mouse.jpg (181KB, 560x329px) Image search: [Google]
mouse.jpg
181KB, 560x329px
>>18459594
this
actually if you are rich you can do whatever you want and the poor people will think it's great thing
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.