[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumbest Advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: sunworship.jpg (52KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
sunworship.jpg
52KB, 550x367px
What's the dumbest advice someone has ever given you?

Mine is: "You don't learn anything from reading books".

month or so later he's stuck on coursework and asks me how I did it
i reply "you have to read the textbook"
>>
Buy Takata stock.
>>
I guess "work hard, give it your best".
It's bad advice because:
-There's always luck involved
-The results often aren't as big as the effort
-If you give it your best and work as hard as you can AND still fail, it just proves you are useless. Otherwise, if you don't give it your best at least you can think "well maybe I could have done something different, I must improve myself for next time"

I agree about the books thing btw, it's like people try hard to sound all edgy and cool and 2cool4schoolyo but in reality you have to actually read to learn shit sometimes, and everyone knows that real life is not like the books, it's obvious
>>
just have fun

holy shit so bad
>>
Top two

>dude weed lmao
>there's nothing wrong with watching anime
>>
"Work hard in school, ignore everything else."

Now I'm 23 virgin with no life experience but hey I sure aced elementary school math right?
>>
>>18458788
his advice is true to some extent. if you don't practice the stuff you read you're very unlikely to retain it or be able to call upon that knowledge when needed. definitely stupid to completely ignore books though.
>>
"Think about that later", the working class mentality of my parents. I did break away from it and do well for myself, but it set me back a bunch of years due to being unprepared for the next steps in life.
>>
>>18458912
Even if you tried your best and failed you can look back and ask yourself what you could have done different and learn from it. Experience teaches you many things. Sure, you can get lucky and half ass everything and be seen as hard working but honestly that wont work forever.
>>
So I joined this self help group in facebook. Can't remember the name right now. Happiness Coaching or something like that.

I saw this post there
>"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care." Type 'yes' if you agree

I responded that to me it seems to be the other way around... Like if I go to a job interview my work experience matters far more than my attitude and in a vidya people aren't eager to teach noobs who want to learn but instead get mad if their team plays badly (not my exact words he was a normie after all)

Admin responded
>yea no I think the quote is still right as it is

I asked how is that? At least he had to agree that my examples would be exceptions and so the quote wasn't correct when it claims everyone does that. Then I asked could he give me an example of the situation where the quote was valid.

>Well I didn't make the quote and it's up to you to decide!

I said he had to have some idea what he thought the quote meant at least or he wouldn't have shared it in the group and that it isn't really Happiness Coaching if it's just whatever I want it to mean.

And that was the first time I was banned from anything.
>>
"It'll get better soon"

>it never does
>>
>>18460544
Wrong. Your personality is way more important to the interviewer than work experience.
>>
>>18461108
Someone's never had a job apparently. Both are important. Someone with no relevant work experience won't be hired for a job where it is required.
>>
>>18460784
I think that sort of advice should be elaborated upon.

>it'll get better soon
>provided you don't stop making active fucking efforts to improve your situation
>>
>>18461112
Wrong.
>>
>Learn about making film from Nofilmschool.com

Sorry but once you actually start studying from academic and reputable works, that website becomes a generalized piece of shit for people who don't have the focus to seriously study the finer details of filmmaking.

It's all shit that assumes you have a trained crew and actors- and it never seems to go into actual details about technical measurements, standards, instead relying largely upon the vague quotes of famous filmmakers.

Learning off solely articles in General is a bad idea. Unfortunately you going to have to get into the nitty gritty of something if you truly want to understand it.
>>
>>18461126
Yes, let's just hire that charismatic guy with no experience or training as a brain surgeon or nuclear physicist.

Kids like you should not try to give adult advice.
>>
>>18461182
Nice hyperbole. Still wrong.
>>
>>18461182
He's not completely wrong though. You'll only get an interview if they think you can do the job, you're never going to get an interview if you don't meet their minimum experience/qualification standards. Once you're at the interview, it's about showing that you're the best person for the job and that you're a good fit for the organisation. Basically, personality is a huge part of nailing a job interview, but it's experience and training that gets you there.

I guess there's an exception when you get an interview through networking, but most interviews involve competency questions, and those are going to weed out someone who's not qualified anyway.
>>
"Don't get in a relationship with her. It wouldn't work."
I shouldn't have listened to him. I at least could've gotten some experience with her.
>>
>>18461108
My point still remains there are situations where what you know/can do is more important to people than that you are just enthusiast about it. Don't you agree? I don't care if you agree with the example or not.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.