[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

thinking about studying theology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1444510166533.jpg (17KB, 231x250px) Image search: [Google]
1444510166533.jpg
17KB, 231x250px
so i found huge interest in theology because of the variety of topics and shit, and because i looked up some videos about theology students talking about their experience, they talk about more human things and seem authentic about it, compared to students studying other things who only think about the piece of paper at the end, it's probably bad for a career though, so i would choose something different when the time comes for a phd maybe.

here is the issue though, on one hand i like the way theology is different from other classes because it involves lots of discussion and not just lecturing, but on the other i think i might also just make that decision because of my libido (yeah i'm a virgin plz no judge had some issues in the past), pic related, wanted to post different pic of actual girl but it's nsfw, not searching for a nonexistant anime waifu, just a non-atheist girl with morals i guess, not a fundamentalist though.

beside it being interesting from a psychological perspective and shit (big fan of jung) i can't help but make fantasies of meeting a non-nihilist spiritual girl, so many girls i met in my earlier school years seem nihilistic drowning themselves in hedonism going for a 9-5, no real ambition.

am i too naive for involving meeting someone to at least date in my decision process?
anybody study theology can tell me more about it?
does it really differ the way i described?
how are the people studying theology in your opinion?
what do you do after graduating other than become priest or confessions guy? idk what else there is
although i would consider doing both of those things desu.
>>
>>18458241
you could become an academic or a teacher.

or anything else you want, really, if you can get the skills somehow, have the balls and determination, and some contacts wouldn't harm either.

met a guy with a PhD in Classics when I was doing summer work as a student, he was a tiler. asked why, he said he got fleeced by his ex-wife so this was what he had to do now.
>>
>>18458264
hmm, yeah teaching sometimes would be fun, contacts really open up any possibility, although i'm kinda a pessimist about that because of my past, but i shouldn't bcuz it turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy if it is in my head during socializing.

i feel like i am determined and hopeful though, i just have to narrow down what i want more.

and damn, feel bad for the guy, but in dire situations like that i guess you gotta go for anything.

ty for your answer
>>
>>18458305
I'm doing a postgrad in religious studies, (similar the theology, but another religion), so I feel ya.

thinking of going for the PhD afterwards or doing some research work beforehand and seeing how it goes. otherwise I'll be wishing I did a trade...
>>
>>18458317
>>18458317

Offtopic and not OP. I'm really interested in your field of study. I like to read about the topic, however I don't know any relevant author or book in order to have a general grasp regarding an anthropological point of view (maybe only Durkheim, but that's it).

Is there any book or author that you recommend me?
(regardless of the POV, not only anthropology)
>>
>>18458375
brain is fried due to end of term assignments so no. but of you search around online at first year courses, you ought to get a good feel of the basic materials and primary texts involved.

in terms of psychology and Catholic theology/philosophy, there's an Irish monk, Hederman, who has some interesting books, but they're not very academic (despite him being a trained philosopher and obviously a scholarly monk).
>>
>>18458241
Be clearer in your own mind - are you thinking of studying one religion, with an eye on becoming ordained, or in studying the thory of religion or comparative religions, from the objective academic perspective?
>>
>>18458590
i'm pretty sure the latter, at the same time though i'm interested in depth psychology and archetypes, stuff carl jung wrote about, also his methods in writing his Red Book which basically was in a way a religious story, i'm kinda thinking of writing something like that with active imagination which was also coined by carl jung, i actually already started on writing it without even being aware of it, but i haven't actively done it and continued writing it in over a year.

unsure where exactly to go with this, thought about psychology and now theology, preferably just looking for a circle of people to talk and work on something like it, even though it might be a little... unpractical, at least only short term, hopefully.

good question, i can't really write about it thoroughly without going a little indepth, lots of things happened that made me choose this way.
>>
>>18458392
Seems great! Thanks!

Just for mere curiousity and also it might help OP, what make you decide for this grade?
>>
>>18458688
religious inclination; desire to pursue further studies; possibility of actually practising more deeply (extended retreats during holiday time as well as for "research purposes") etc.

things sort of just happened.
>>
It's not the only subject that involves a lot of discussion (there's every niche of history and politics for a start), and it's not the only "authentic" subject.

A lot of non-religious people are stuck in religious jobs (priests, Religious Education teachers) because they were brought up in the church and it's all they can do.

I think it's probably a weak form of history, from an employment perspective. You get to read all the creation myths, their characters and slight variations. Well, you'll know what's covered by reading the university specifications. Maybe you can go into the Vatican to read. This isn't the kind of thing where they pay you to do the PhD, or pay you highly, and people mostly end up working retail.

I personally wouldn't take it as a first degree, unless I was rich (in the interest of being able to fund further degrees). It might suit somebody who was the "essay loving" type, more than anything technical. But you haven't capitalised your "i"s.

Make of that whatever.
>>
>>18458241
Fuck no. Get a normal major and find some girl at a church.
>>
>huge fan of Jung
Jung war der Ansicht, dass Theologie lächerliche Zeitverschwendung ist, wie du den Archetypen entnehmen kannst, wo er das sagt. Er erzählte da über seinen Vater, der Priester o.ä. war und im Religionsunterricht seinen Fragen nicht standhalten konnte. Da verlor er jeglichen Respekt vor dem Fach.

>if you can't read this you're not really into Jung
>heh
>>
>>18459539
lol, ich meine es würde mich auch stören würde fragen nicht beantwortet werden können im Religionsunterricht, nur frag ich mich dann auch ob vieleicht die Theologie heutzutage anders ist wie damals, vieleicht weniger dogmatisch, ich möchte mich glaub einfach an einen aktiven Unterricht beteiligen, ich muss mirs echt überlegen, fällt mir ein ob vieleicht Analytische Psychologie interessant sei zum studieren, weiss aber nicht ob man das irgendwo im meiner umgebung kann.

Ich verstehe um ehrlich sein " wie du den Archetypen entnehmen kannst, wo er das sagt." nicht.

Welchen Archetypen entnehmen? Wenns überhaupt die richtige Frage ist. :p
>>
>>18458264
Have you ever been in a theology class? It's almost all men preparing for academia or a seminary.
>>
>>18459623
i'm *in* a theology class. (albeit not the kind that springs to mind.)

no more than any college course, graduates may not necessarily work in their chosen field of study, yadda yadda.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.