[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My MA thesis advisor dislikes me and most probably thinks I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: 1498181518720.png (516KB, 808x805px) Image search: [Google]
1498181518720.png
516KB, 808x805px
My MA thesis advisor dislikes me and most probably thinks I'm stupid, lazy and a horrible person altogether.

I just finished my thesis and she (grudgingly) accepted it at last after weeks of corrections and berating me. She said things like
>If I wanted to be mean I would show you the works of your colleagues who wrote great theses in the same period of time :^)
>well this thesis is not the brightest but we're not trying to win prizes here but have you graduate

I feel that this opinion isn't wholly justified and she didn't give me accurate feedback as to why my thesis is shit. She heavily criticised my use of point lists quoted from peer sources, saying it's like cheating to fill more pages and that it doesn't belong in an MA thesis which is supposed to be original thought. I just used them in my methodology chapter to establish some framework for my analysis...

My defense is in 2 weeks and while I'm sure I'll graduate, it will be a bitter day for me. I'll most probably get a low grade and won't get any recommendations. If I ever wanted to work in this scientific field she'd probably talk shit about me even if I didn't encounter her again.

Not that I wanted to as I'm not especially passionate about it anyway - the field is translation studies and I don't think it's a 'science' worth pursuing. I've always focused on the practical side of the studies - translation - and my advisor knew how I felt about it and she later attacked me for it
>hurr I remember how you were always saying you couldn't be arsed to do theoretical research and only wanted to do translation for your thesis, only when you realised the rules weren't going to be bent for you you had to do it
Meanwhile all I did was asking if it's possible to only have translation for your thesis - and they then responded that it might be a possibility, yet now I'm an entitled hateful brat for ever having dared to suggest such a thing.
>>
To be clear, I've always liked the translation side of the studies. The vast majority of the professors I did my translation assignments for were approving my work and I've always been getting good grades and feedback for them.

I guess I'd mostly just like her to give me feedback on my translation but at this point I'm demotivated to even ask as she'll most likely say it's shit too and that I should probably kill myself.
>>
Have you done some self reflection on why she has that opinion of you? I was in a similar situation where I submitted a poorly written final year research project for a science degree because I just wanted a pass mark and the professor threatened not to let me graduate because it would "devalue" the degree. Long story short, I got the opportunity to redo the project. She really liked my resubmitted project and apologised for being so harsh.
>>
>>18457933
As I said her feedback felt vague. I don't think my thesis is an original one but I also find it hard to believe my colleagues' theses were so much better. It would help if she clarified what she meant me in a normal way and wasn't a complete bitch in every interaction with me.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.