[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was I rude or something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 1

File: 1486104433819.jpg (44KB, 480x600px) Image search: [Google]
1486104433819.jpg
44KB, 480x600px
>pic unrelated
>sitting in the park with my dog alone
>older couple walks by
>lady asked my dogs name
>I say "why?"
>husband gets pissey and they walks away
Was I rude for asking them their intentions of asking what my dogs name was?If I answered them the start probing with more questions and I wasn't in a talkative mood. Would have rude not to answer at all to me.
>>
>>18457583
Pretty much the equivalent of saying "none of your business!"

But hey, at least there's no obligation to be nice to people you'll never meet again
>>
You were not rude at all
>>
Just say "bark bark bark?" next time, they'll laugh and probably go away. Better than being unnecessarily defensive and autismo by replying with "why?"
>>
>>18457583
Should have covered it up by saying that his name is 'why'
>>
>>18457611
I thought of that,wheather they think its her name or not is up to them or if they answer the question of "why ask me my dogs name?"
>>
>>18457612
Maybe Wai
>>
>>18457619
and as a underlying joke its the name will be "working as intended"or WAI or why
>>
>>18457583
You sound unfamiliar with the basic concepts of small talk. They were not being intrusive, just signalling friendliness and "we're no threat" by asking a question they had no real interest in. Had you said "Rover" or whatever, you would have signaled "I'm harmless as well" and they would have walked on, forgetting the whole encounter within minutes.

By asking "Why?" you signaled "I consider you a threat in spite of your offer of friendliness, and I am a threat in return" and they walked away thinking "What's his problem?"

The point is that the empty niceties of ordinary politeness are often the simplest way to avoid unpleasantness, and that is usually their purpose and justification.
>>
>>18457652
And Small talk often is filled with lies and deception under the guise of friendliness which is why I don't like small talk.
>>
>>18457583
> Was I rude
yeah
but i can't blame you, it's fucking annoying when people ask you about your dogs all the time.
>>
>>18457583
Jesus, you're a dumb fuck. What was the harm in telling the dog's name? Obviously she wanted to greet it and pet it. Christ. No one is gonna ask about your life's story, retard. Fucking rude, autistic shit.
>>
>>18457724
My dog wouldn't like that and the situation would have turned into something else.
>>
>>18457736
How the hell do you know what your dog does and doesn't like? I think you're projecting onto it.
>>
>>18457740
and I think you never owned a lot of dogs to understand.
>>
>>18457750
oh nvm this is troll talking,begone
>>
>>18457652
>>18457688
>>18457611
Thanks for the advice
>>
They were probably hackers dressed up as fake old people, wanting to know your pets name so they can guess your passwords and stuff like that.
>>
>>18457583

>"his name's cunt, why?"
>>
>>18457589
>>18457652

These. If you weren't feeling in the mood to talk, or didn't want them to pet the dog, you could have said, "His name is ___ , but he doesn't like to be pet by strangers."

Instead you just came off as weirdly defensive.
>>
>>18458172
this is 4chan, pleb, of course he's a fucking weirdo, why do you think he comes on /adv/ to get feedback on his actions?
>>
>>18457652
I really dislike small-talk, personally. If you're going to chatter, at least have it be about something interesting instead of "This weather sucks/is nice, huh?" and "How about that sports team? They sure slam-dunked all the home runs."
>>
>>18458125
>still saying "why?"
>>
>>18457652
Not OP but I fucking hate that shit. It's so annoying when people ask "how are you" or "how was your meal" or some stupid thing like that. I wish people would stop fucking asking.
Next time someone asks me how I'm doing, I'm just going to say "waffles." They probably won't even notice.
>>
>>18457583
yep
>>
>>18458380
>>18458557

Everyone agrees small talk sucks ass.

However, there are tactful ways of avoiding it that don't make you look/sound like a dickhead
>>
>>18458172
Not much of a defence, if they can't answer single word question for an simple answer that you want like your own reason then its kinda on them if there reaction has taken it that way.
>>
>>18458380
>>18458557
>>18458790
No, disagree. Like the anon two of these are responding to said, saying small talk is shit because it's not interesting or whatever is misunderstanding its purpose. It is the verbal equivalent to a smile. You are acknowledging someone. You are showing them the effort of going through basic etiquette, just like you say please or thank you for trivial favors that don't warrant real gratitude. It is a show of goodwill and in some cases an invitation for interaction in general that might lead to an actual conversation.

Yes some people go through the motions just because it's expected socially and barely hear the answer. But that applies to everything. Just because people in a store have to smile at you and sometimes do so on autopilot doesn't mean getting a smile from a stranger can't be great.
>>
>>18457583
Yes, you retard. It's literally the most basic of small talk, they were being friendly.

>muh not in good mood
Don't go out into society and refuse to contribute, and take your shit out on other people.
>>
>>18458902

Everything you said is true, but it doesn't take away from the fact that small talk is often seen as disingenuous and excruciating; especially for people from cultures where you just don't do that.
>>
>>18457673
I bet your body pillows never impose small talk onto you
>>
>>18458917
I know that it's a drag to a lot of people, I just disagreed with the notion that everyone hates it, and as I tried to explain I feel many negative feelings also have to do with expecting something from it that it just isn't intended to do.

Maybe a trivial example but I used to work in a smaller store by myself and I live in a country where people typically do not make small talk. So 95% of my customers said "these please" "thanks" "bye" and I had to go through that for eight to eleven hours in succession. I was overjoyed when someone comented on the weather or whatever sport I couldn't give less of a fuck about. Because it showed that they realized they were dealing with a person and not an actual cash register. That to me is what small talk is meant for, it is a small way to go out of your way to acknowledg someone. I feel like disingenuous is a weird term when you know for a fact that they don't give a crap about informing you that it's raining. That's just not what it is about. They aren't pretending to care about that. They're just throwing you a bit of attention for being another person.
>>
>Using one of the Five WS
I'd be careful with those
>>
>>18458933
Disingenuous is the perfect term for people giving you the "How was your weekend? Oh, that sounds fun!" treatment in the office elevator. They're pretending to care what you did over the weekend because standing in silence makes them uncomfortable. They feel obligated to say something, anything, because in America, silence is often perceived as "awkward"

I get where you're coming from. I don't always mind talking about nothing with friendly people. That being said, some days I'm just not in the mood and I completely understand people who hate being roped into these nothing conversations.
>>
>>18458380
Small talk is how normies filter out autists. If you're incapable of having small talk then you're not worth the time for a normal conversation.
>>
>>18457583
>Thread om front page about autistic guy mad at his gf for masturbating next to him when he clearly came off as uninterested
>Tons of other standard autistic threads, including incest and roleplay
Still I think this thread probably wins the autistic award for this year.
>>
>>18459076
I'm not incapable, I just don't see why people feel the need to have "conversations" where I'm pretty much limited to A) Ignore them and come off as an asshole, B) Give a response that's not much more than "Yes, the weather sucks/is nice today." or C) Give some sarcastic remark and come across as an asshole. "Holding me verbally hostage," to borrow a phrase.
>>
>>18459167
>"Holding me verbally hostage,"
Give me a fucking break. Stay inside your house if you cannot deal with other people sometimes doing minor things you don't like. That is the very basis of human interaction, that you cannot dictate the outcome by yourself.
>>
>>18459198
So faking interest or a disinterested "Uh-huh." when asked about things I don't have any meaningful input on is better than not saying anything, then? I don't watch sports, so how the fuck am I supposed to wring out a meaningful conversation when my only honest response is "I don't watch sports."?
>>
>>18459198
Please elaborate on where you're supposed to go in response to "It sure is sunny out today." that isn't just something to the tune of "Yeah, the weather's real nice today.", oh wise one.
>>
>>18459221
You aren't "supposed to wring out a meaningful conversation". You're just supposed to understand that the only point is to have interaction in the first place. As for your example, whatever you feel like. If you don't like this person you can tell them "I'm not really into that stuff". If you feel neutral you tell them "I don't watch sports so I don't know". If you like them you say "so now I'm outed as someone who doesn't follow sports" in a joking way, or ask a follow up question not because you care but to give them a chance to relive their own enthusiasm.

Yes it is better to just say "uh-huh" because it's still a step from not having personal interest in the topic or the chatter, and feeling such irritation that you cannot stop yourself but let them know they rubbed you the wrong way. It's not their fault that you dislike it or that you already went through it five times a day, they are following regular standards for behavior so don't unload on them.
>>
>>18459233
First of all >>18459237

If you must try to lift it to a higher level;
>yeah it's really nice, I was planning to do [activity that relies on nice weather] this weekend actually
>it sure is, I used to live in [colder place] so every now and then it still catches me by surprise
or variations so that you give them an invitation to move the conversation from weather to hobbies/plans/your past or anything else. That is also part of the reason why people have small talk, it can become quickly apparent whether you have a click and then can turn into a more substantial conversation. It just doesn't have to. It's a social lubricant by itself.
>>
It's just small talk that most people make. They probably would've walked away after 30 seconds of talking to you. So yeah, you sound like a pretty huge douche.
>>
OP here,what happened in here its like a troll nuke went off...

Read through the post,some useful stuff here and some not so useful. Also I forgot to mention my dog is one of those dogs many perceive as a dangerous breed,so to me asking my dogs name straight out the gate is signalling me that your afraid thus fear and often in the past they go deeper into questioning which is a annoying.

I did it without thinking and if they perceived rude then whatever,I might as well ignored them completely at this point if they'd get triggered anyway.
>>
>>18459306
you are autistic, sorry
>>
>>18457761
LMAO
>>
>>18459306
>asking my dogs name straight out the gate is signalling me that your afraid
Wait, what? No. That's not what that means. If they were afraid, they'd just ignore you
>>
>>18457583
Yes, may I ask if you're autistic, as that's exactly what an autist would do.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.