[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College Major & Minor Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: INCERTO.jpg (34KB, 386x499px) Image search: [Google]
INCERTO.jpg
34KB, 386x499px
I would like to major in Math, but I'm not sure what specialization to go into nor what to minor in, and what doors these various options might open and/or close.
So one of my questions is, would a major in pure math that's heavy on stats electives close any doors that a stats major would open? Where might the differences in jobs/opportunities in these majors lie?

Secondly, I'm inclined to avoid CS as a minor, since I've already self taught so much. Would choosing anything else be remotely viable? Perhaps physics, philosophy, economics, etc..

Pic vaguely related.
>>
>>18453838
humble bump
>>
>>18455079
>>18453838
a patient, yet still humble, second bump
>>
>>18453838
Some reasonably applied business minor. Accounting is good.
>>
>>18456116
Hey anon, thanks for the reply. Can you expand to include what kind of options this would open up?
>>
>>18453838

Same boat OP. Tired of people suggesting i teach math
>>
>>18456116
>>18456131
Also, if you have input towards the questions:
>would a major in pure math that's heavy on stats electives close any doors that a stats major would open?

I would be very thankful.
>>
>>18456132
This, absolutely. Not interested in that one bit. Physics is pretty interesting, but philosophy sounds very /comfy/, though not something that necessarily merits university tuition, imo. So idk
>>
>>18453838
I think CS sounds like a solid choice.
>everyone needs to programme nowadays
>useful in your personal life as well as professional
>a lot of maths uses computer programmes
>opens up the tech world to you
>seems like you're already interested in it and a step ahead

I'm an accountant and I would say dw about studying accountancy at university, you can train to be one after if you want- in fact employers prefer pure maths people bc they're smarter- accounting degrees are easy
>>
>>18456134
I wouldn't know the job prospects of math vs stats. What I do know is that a physics major of mine with a minor in philosophy is currently working at a software engineering job, so I'm inclined to say accounting will keep you open for jobs in accounting.
>>
>>18456145
*physics major friend of mine
>>
>>18456143
The only reason I'm opposed to CS is that I'm on track to complete a self study equivalent of a bachelors in addition to my degree by the time I graduate, and I know in CS, more so than any other field, a degree is not entirely necessary and often a strong portfolio beats it out.

But certainly, a minor wouldn't hurt, it's just that I feel it would open doors that will, as far as I can tell, already be open. But perhaps I'm wrong.
>>
>>18456145
Ok, I would hope that my potential future employers would see that as a pure math major, I took stats classes, so despite not having a stats degree, I can do stats. My concern is that they won't, but I suppose I could lie a bit on resume to get that stats name brand :)
>>
>>18453838
Do yourself a favor and minor in something that you're genuinely interested in, especially if it's a subject that might not be as marketable as math, business, economics, etc. You'll enjoy going to class and it will be something you can speak passionately about during interviews if it were to come up. Any employer that takes your minor seriously is a fool anyway
>>
>>18456204
Perhaps this is what I needed to hear most, thanks anon.

No answer yet as to what the difference in employability might be between a pure math major who took stats electives vs a stats major, if you have any input I'd love to hear it!
>>
>>18456226
Unfortunately I don't. I was an econ major that wasted a semester and a half taking business classes to fill a minor, so that's where my experience comes from. I don't know much about being a math major.
>>
>>18456226
bumping for this..
>>
>>18456170
>and I know in CS, more so than any other field, a degree is not entirely necessary and often a strong portfolio beats it out.

I'm a CS major how many CS/coding projects do you have on your resume? Do you know any good coding practices?

every job I have applied for that allows for non-degree applicants expects the person to have the same understanding as a non CS degree person and then some. usually 4+ years of programming experience.
>>
>>18456925

>how many CS/coding projects do you have on your resume? Do you know any good coding practices?
No CS projects currently, but do plan on having a beefed resume to compensate, along with attending conferences and such. Of course, my opting out of the minor is assuming that I will in fact have projects on my resume, so this question is kind of unwarranted imo.

And as far as good coding practices, I don't know precisely what you mean. I make it neat (indent, spacing, etc) and comment a lot, if that's what you mean. These questions are a bit premature though, since my level in the cirriculum isn't at the point where I'd have noteworthy projects, but I do completely intend to. I'm working through a variety of cirriculums and should roughly graduate with 4+ years of programming experience, a solid list of textbooks and MOOCs behind me, along with, of course, the portfolio with projects.

Would you say this is viable to avoid a CS minor?
>>
>>18456925
>>18456941
The CS path I'm following is rather structured as well, picking and choosing books, courses and materials from thee sites:
>https://github.com/functionalCS/curriculum
>https://github.com/open-source-society/computer-science
>https://teachyourselfcs.com/

I have taken in the introductory courses, as well as having completed Discrete Math.
>>
>>18456925
Also, how often do jobs strictly require a, specifically, CS degree?
>>
>>18456954
I've seen programming jobs that DONT want a CS degree. Prefer physics and math instead.
>>
>>18456967
Ever physics and NOT math? I just don't want to close any doors
>>
Not from what I've seen. I feel like its because CS degrees are being handed out left and right.

I had your problem. I majored in both math and physics with a minor in CS. Took a little longer but I definitely have a lot of doors open now. The ability to choose whatever the fuck I want to do was worth the pain.
>>
>>18457009
How much longer did that take? I've considered this
>>
>>18457023
One full year because including a summer semester

The way I see it is nobody has any idea what they will be interested in four years. Fuck I even took all the premed requirements just in case. Leave room for research though. Even if you don't go into academia a publication sounds great on a resume.
>>
>>18456941
>And as far as good coding practices, I don't know precisely what you mean.

good coding practice is shit like this:

Test-Driven Development
Object Oriented Programming
SCRUM/Agile
Documentation

>Would you say this is viable to avoid a CS minor?

From my job searching and interviewing it's either you have a major or you have nothing but work experience. Never seen a job post saying Major or Minor in computer science. if you get a good internship or job involving programming you have a good chance even without a major or minor.

>>18456954

>Also, how often do jobs strictly require a, specifically, CS degree?

Almost all of the ones I have applied and worked for required a CS degree or the equivalent in work experience. But there are always companies and startups out there that have a more open policy about job requirements.
>>
>>18457044
I agree completely, and have taken almost all the pre reqs for math, physics and CS minors as things are, so this is very doable for me.
>>
>>18457046
intereting, thanks. I've never heard of those coding practices.
>>
>>18457063

>I've never heard of those coding practices.

if you are keen on a programming job then I heavily advise you to learn Agile/Scrum development process. Every interview I have had has involved knowledge of the AGILE development process. It has basically become the standard development process in the programming world.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.