[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is confidence?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: blade_runner_2049.png (1022KB, 1024x630px) Image search: [Google]
blade_runner_2049.png
1022KB, 1024x630px
I just don't get it when people say "You need to have more confidence". What the fuck does that even really mean?

Confidence to me is just one big lie that will get you killed one day. It leads to you underestimating something which will get you fucked over. How can you honestly tell yourself "I am capable and doing this thing I have never done!" When you think about it critically... its just full retard to me.

I am one to never underestimate anything. I treat most challenges as being possible for me to fail. I never treat anything with the chance of NO FAILURE.

This in turn has made me a very defense person I guess? Its probably ruined my chances of ever experiencing a relationship to. To me, I just can't be confident because it doesn't make sense to me.

Confidence seems good at first. Sure you surpass some things but then you get that invincible feeling and then one day, someone way better than you shows up and fucking crushes you. Your bloated ego now lay in pieces on the floor. That is what confidence does. It blinds you to very real enemies and very real challengers.

In your opinion, what is confidence really besides just another enemy that wants to see you break?
>>
Implies ability. Something like 'I know I could get a good outcome or do this easily'.

Self-confidence is general. For example you can have no confidence in your artistic ability but still be confident in your ability to handle most life challenges related to things you specialize in.

Major things that lead to overall confidence:

- ability to attract the opposite sex
- ability to be likable in social situations
- ability to handle simple tasks or responsibilities
- if you're a smart cookie, ability to handle complex tasks or responsibilities

There are actually a lot of variables that can lead to overall confidence, it varies between individuals. However there are common themes/skills related to all people.

You're not wrong, false confidence is bad. But genuine confidence, built from personal experience, is a very normal and healthy thing. It usually relates to a specific kind of skill or ability but depending on that ability can apply to many things.
>>
>>18453702
Confidence is the belief that one is capable of success. To have more confidence is to believe one is more likely to succeed. A person needs to have more confidence if they find themselves not starting a task in fear of supposedly certain failure.
Of course, too much confidence can lead one to, as you observed, underestimate a task or overestimate themselves. But this worry of hubris should not lead them to inaction. Ironically, one must be confident that they will not become overconfident.
>>
that's naivete and brashness leading to recklessness you're describing.
>"I am capable and doing this thing I have never done!"
that sounds full retard because it is full retard. confidence is not that.
>"I am capable of figuring out how to do this thing I've never done"
^ that one is confidence. essentially boils down to knowing your strengths, your limits, your standards, your boundaries, your [clearly defined] goals, and how you're likely to react in x situation. for example, this:
>I am one to never underestimate anything.
is a statement which comes from a place of confidence.

failure isn't something to be feared btw. nor does being confident subsequently mean disregarding it. confidence isn't strictly "i know i cannot fail". sure that applies sometimes (and sometimes falsely, in an inflated sense, which is where you can maybe get into trouble) but what applies all the time is "whatever happens, i know i'll be able to handle it and come out the other side and be alright". failure = "welp. that <new information/ life lesson/ insight gain/ valuable experience/ discovered opportunity> sure was a pain in the ass. we reassess nao."
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.