[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finding videography work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Video Camera.png (625KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Video Camera.png
625KB, 1000x1000px
How can one break into the field of videography?
I have a degree in Media Studies, lots of experience on things like news packages and editing (from college), and am currently living near Minneapolis. But I've applied for over 50 jobs and only had 2 interviews, neither of which got me hired.
>>
Have you sought out freelance work or self employment?
>>
>>18453686
This field is so difficult to break into without shitty internships. Honestly, if you really want to do this (I did and gave up), this is what you should do:

1. Take as many freelance, unpaid (disgusting, I know) gigs as you can
2. Kill it during those gigs. Be the most productive, reliable person on set
3. Take on clients for free or next to nothing. Again, kill it during those gigs.

You will struggle for several months (if not 1-2+ years), but this is the kind of cutthroat industry where you need to "prove" yourself as reliable before you start getting called for gigs on a paid basis.

To break into a company doing this? Good luck, I could never make that happen no matter how hard I tried.
>>
>>18453686

You don't have to share it, but how does your website and instagram look?
>>
I don't know anything about videography, but I think you might have considerable success if you start your own company.

Do some research, but I think if you made an LLC, it will only cost you about $100 to register with the Secretary of state where you live (Minnesota) and you could create a simple website with your LLC name and offer to do consulting work or video editing work, etc.

Best thing is, you can always list your own company on your resume for experience, write off work related expenses for tax-deductions, etc.

I think this route beats working "for free" in exchange for experience, and you might actually make good money; you might not need to look for another job, you'll have created the perfect one. I don't know what you should charge though.

http://www.sos.state.mn.us/
>>
Also, you could test the waters with your company, keeping whatever current job you have to pay the bills...

At worst, you still have experience you can list on your resume, and at best, your company becomes profitable enough to do full time.
>>
Ooh, OP, you could even create a youtube channel with HOW TO videos. Like "what is a news package" or "What makes a great news package" and even basic editing tutorials, like how to use Vegas Studio or Adobe Premiere. At the end of each video, you can state your company website or company email for further consulting. There are already a lot of similar videos out there, but people might always find yours to be more clear or straightforward, or they might just like your personality better. After a few dozen videos, you might have individuals or other companies contacting you to edit their videos or help them plan some kind of media package.

Damn, now I'm too excited about this. Take me with you OP! ^_^
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.