[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to become a tailor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: custom-tailoring.jpg (752KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
custom-tailoring.jpg
752KB, 2000x1333px
Title says it all. Finally decided to stop being a NEET at 22years old and stop living with parents.
I wanna become a tailor, but dont know how. I feel this is kind of my calling. A female friend teached my how to repair my shirt with a basic stitch and I never felt more freedom in my life. I think I can help people and contribute to society by repairing people's clothes, and there is literally not a single person in the world who does not have clothing or some basic fabrics they need; so I won't ever need to fear getting out of work.
I dont want to be fancy tailor tho. Nor do I want to be a fashion designer or anything special like that. I merely want to be humnle and fix people's clothes in a small shop and earn just enough money for food, water, and a tiny shitty appartment.

I have 50 euros on bank account; thats all the money I have, so cant afford to go to a expensive private school. I dont know of any public schools that teach tailoring. (I live in Netherlands).
I inherited the sewing machine of my grandma together with 3 boxes of sewing materials, so at least I dont have to spend money on that.
Support from parents is practically zero, besides getting food.

Thanks for your advice anons.
>>
>>18451711
Well you can start off by getting a sewing machine and fabric/materials then learn through trial and error, quite a decent amount of resources on the internet to show you.
>>
>>18451711
Start with what you have and work from there. Need more money get a job that pays more. On your free time work on the skill. Believe in your capabilities. If you stick to this road of thought. You will find ways to go up in the industry.
>>
>>18451711
you need to do like Karl Lagerfeld and find a rich designer boyfriend who'll teach you all the skill3 and stretch your boipoucci, then leave you all his millions. that's what you need to do.
>>
>>18451758
Already have all the materials. Learning through internet won't get me a job or diploma.

>>18451765
I dont want to go ''up'' in the industry. I just want a simple peaceful life while repairing clothes of the average city dweller in a small back-alley shop.

Am trying to look for a shitty job tho, cause I never finished college.

>>18451820
I am not interested in money, nor fame. All I want is simply work in a clothing repair shop and help people out, while living on the bare minimum to support myself.
Hell, I'll would go to a Bangladeshi sweatshop if that is what is needed to support my goals.
>>
>>18451711
How about starting a side hustle doing alterations service for weddings and prom season?
>>
>>18451851
Right now all you want is to be a back ally tailor. But when you get then what? Eventually you will get bored. You have to grow anon it's the only way. Reach for the sky.
>>
>>18452058
true I guess. How would I find an apprenticeship?
I feel I can learn a hundred times more faster and better with a teacher than through interner or experimentation.

>>18451901
Seems like a good plan, first need to learn how to sew tho.
>>
>>18452358
Find some tailors in your area ask to watch and learn.
>>
>>18451851
>Already have all the materials. Learning through internet won't get me a job or diploma.

Then go to school for it... lol...
>>
>>18452495
Dont have money for a private school. Public schools don't teach tailoring.

>>18452419
I'll definitely try this. I hope they accept it.
>>
Maybe your market is different, but in the U.S. people rarely repair damaged clothes, they would rather buy new ones. When people do want a tailor, they usually just get the old Asian women at the local dry cleaners to do it for cheap. The only financially successful tailors handle high-end men's suits and that is not a growing business.

I know some people who like sewing for a hobby who make some good side-money selling custom cool stuff on etsy.
>>
>>18452781
try every place you can! don't give up on your dreams anon.
>>
>>18452825
Thanks anon. I appreciate it.

>>18452812
I can always go to a poor ass country where people are too poor to throw away and buy new clothing.

I know of a friend who went to Myanmar and told me a story about there being this very old woman, who had been making the clothes of the local village for over 60 years and she was venerated like a hero for her skills.

That seems pretty cool.
>>
I have had the exact same dream for months now... however there are hundreds of millions of garment workers around the world who are already better at sewing than me.
>>
>>18451711

Go to men's fashion houses and ask how to get started. Higher-end tailor shops always need crafts people. Be willing to offer to take a low-wage (or free, even) apprentice/training position.
>>
I have a similar idea but I want to make my own clothing line and sell it here in California. I had the idea to market it as a skater brand after seeing the success of brands like Thrasher and Supreme. Though seeing non-skaters wearing skater brands annoys me it seems to be the general trend.

So I would make skater clothing, shoes, and decks, but I'm not talking screenprinted faggotry, I mean real handmade cloth. I have a sewing machine, but does anyone have any idea how I would mass produce a shirt once I have the patterns and a prototype? Who do I have contract it out to or what.
>>
>>18453399
Right now the only reason you're not following your dream is because you told yourself you can't.
>>
>>18453399
That's lousy excuse.All those millions are spread around the world, and most of them in very poor countries. As long as clothing exists, there will be some demand somewhere.
This is not a competition. I would be like saying you can't bake bread, because millions of people already do it.
(also this) >>18454039

>>18453573
Aight I'll try. I sleep on the streets or live in a homeless center and work as an apprentice slave If I need that, just to learn the skills.

I go looking tomorrow when shops are open.

>>18453758
>I mean real handmade cloth
>How I would mass produce a shirt

Pick one. Custom designed handmade clothing is by definition not mass produced and probably too expensive for skaters to wear.
(unless you ment with 'handmade' a chinese sweatshop factory)

If you want to mass produce you send the prototype together with ALL details of what you want.
To a (cheap 3rd world) factory. First get a sample production (usually a minimum of 300 to 1000)
Details needed are exact dimensions of every piece of fabric of your prototype, patterns, fabric type, dye colors, stitching patterns, quality of stitches, quantity, time to be produced, etc
Then get contracts with retailer stores to sell your shit.
>>
>Hikkiomori syndrome
>In Nederland

Juist. Internetcursus en een winkelruimte aan de rand van de stad. Enjoy.
>>
>>18454967
Both wrong.
>>
Ik zou inderdaad langs zo'n winkel gaan en rondvragen wat je eventueel moet kunnen beheersen om aan de bak te kunnen. Je kunt beginnen met youtube tutorials kijken en online services aanbieden, bijvoorbeeld op facebook.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.