[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

digital data suicide?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: what have i done.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
what have i done.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>set up old server with 1-drive redundancy (raid 1 mirroring)
>old server system fails
>hard drives inaccessible
>put system in storage for 6 years, data inaccessible and thought to be lost
>son recovers all data 6 years after failure
>1 of 2 2TB drives has hardware failure; disk probably unrecoverable, other drive is fine
>call manufacturer, drive out of warranty; $2500 to recover
>transfer data to new server, hard drive

Months later
>backing up family photos to another hard drive so they wont be lost in catastrophic failure
>backup completes after 3 days
>check drive letters 4x over
>format 3rd drive in system
>format 1st drive
>turns out 3rd drive was actually backup drive
>25 years of family photos gone
>kids baby photos included
>unrecoverable

Months later I was able to recover the photo thumbnails (55px*55px) because they were stored on the OS drive. I guess something is better than nothing. It's good for scrolling through the gallery on a phone.

>Set aside hard drive and never touched again in hopes that the data may be recoverable by professionals.

Now
>ran out of storage space on all non reserved drives
>2TB photos hard drive sitting on shelf
>mental block preventing me from utilizing available hard drive

Should I format and start using it? Still have other drive but costs $2500 to fix, IF even possible. Can't afford that.
>>
google drive. Print the photos into a "memory book" kind of crap. Upload to FB. etc.
You shouldn't rely on something that proved to fail you multiple times.
>>
>>18451610
Already done. What about my formatted drive that I am not utilizing? Should I format that and power through the great guilt that is stopping me?
>>
I don't know how old you are OP. I'm 34. I mention age because I've had technology in my life enough to build up and then lose due to hard drive failure more than a few 'vital' things.

The first upsetting one was my painstakingly ripped or dialup downloaded mp3 collection. I'd been on the case with that one from my mid teens. Local bands, live recordings, things borrowed from friends now no longer friends or living. I also lost all the masters from recording sessions with various bands I was part of in and around the local college. Pictures were not that big a deal funnily enough because decent digital cameras were kind of rare back then. That was the first owch.

Later I lost thousands of pictures of my ex wife and our life together, time spent living in america. More recordings of music projects (mp3's no longer relevant) my wedding video, university work/projects. This one hurt quite a lot because a lot of it was useful stuff which I'd like to have to refer back to, less sentimental, but certainly the pictures grew with the popularity and improvement of digital cameras.

The third failure cost me quite a few years of notes. At this point pictures are online or taken via smart phone for social media. Music is kept streaming and data I upload to the cloud. But I kept notes, references, spreadsheets, data from experiments and studies, things I knew would prove handy in the future and came to rely on which are no longer freely online. Still now I go to refer back to a chart or to check the rate of a value because I can remember testing it to death back in the day and the notes are just not there.

What I tend to do now is blog my notes and experiments. Not so much for others, though occasional input or feedback is useful, but so it is online in some form. I also keep a notebook, though that is likely the frailest method of all.

My employer recently gave me a contract amendment saying that I'll have to return or destroy my notebooks if I leave. Sucks.
>>
>>18451650
Anyway I forgot the advice. Just suck it up and deal with it. Like anything it sucks, but you become desensitised to it and you learn to deal with it in some manner.

I prefer to see it as a broader thing, a cathartic experience which teaches me the value of impermanence and to develop a healthier relationship with and perception of temporality. We often have little control over events in our lives and the anxiety this creates is part of the human condition and won't go away. Loss is constant, but becomes less devastating with wisdom which tends to accumulate with experience which relates to time.

If we want to live freely and be able to make active choices unburdened by this anxiety we have to come to terms with this lack of control and develop coping mechanisms against it. Focusing on the bright side when faced with impermanence and challenging the normative narratives around how we interact with time (controlled, measured, understood, safe, secure) is one of the healthier ways for me.

Sum all that up as shit happens, deal with it. Or learn to let go. Learn to move on. Whatever. Go with the flow. Dasein. Being concerned with objects relating to memories due to a fear of loss of the experience is not being in the moment.
>>
>>18451674
Thankyou!
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.