[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1498112900566.jpg (25KB, 442x300px) Image search: [Google]
1498112900566.jpg
25KB, 442x300px
I have been working in big rig warehousing my entire life, 24 yr old. Coming up on 6 years. Been getting raises of a dollar every year and currently make 15 an hours plus bonus of 2-300 every month and whatever overtime. I could get more overtime but whatever. I like who i work with and who i work under. I've never had a real problem at all. It's also my first job. It's not easy and you have to be strong, work with mainly all men, theres only 4 women in the entire department out of about 50 people total. The warehouse is a hard enviroment cause its in the desert so its always hot, and when the swamp coolers go on it gets extremely sticky. Humidity around 70-80s

However a new career path has opened up to me. I've always loved computers since i was 12 and i feel i have a real knack for them, was my first hobby. I taught my friends how to overclock, build, maintain their rigs when i was younger. I enjoy helping people and i have been a teacher to quite a few. The new position is desktop support, basically helpdesk. Run around fixing printers and bullshit like that. Its a salaried position and im pretty sure i would be making less than i am now as i do not have any certs or a degree. But it could open the door to becoming a sys admin or network admin later down the road which would pay big bucks and im pretty sure i would enjoy.

What should i do? Should i brush up on my A+ or should i keep playing the game from where im at?
>>
do you like your job now?

would you like it more if you changed careers?

would you be okay financially during the transition period?

if the last two answers are yes, go for it.
>>
i like it. consistent raises. enjoy who i work with. i guess moneys ok but ive never known anything else. come from a non college family.

the transition will suck ass. i basically go to bottom bitch again. financially ill be fine.
>>
I would switch.

Reason being, you won't always have your health. Your back could start acting up and cause you to step down. Or you could get in a car crash, and months of therapy could limit your ability to work as the warehouse guy. And there will come a day where you wont be able to push your body as hard as the younger warehouse guys.

This computer job seems very laid back. Just something to consider.

Like when I was a kid, i loved when it snowed cause my mom would let me go door to door and shovel. I could shovel like 8 houses in a day and make like $200-$300 a day. Now when it snows my back acts up mid way and i barely finish my own house.
>>
i guess thats true. i actually broke my wrist a year or so ago. was on light duty for that time. probably would have been able to still do the computer job though.

my back isnt perfect as it is. lots of heavy lifting in warehousing
>>
>>18450366
>i basically go to bottom bitch again.

The moment you don't feel like the most junior person in a team/company/job, it's time to move up. Simple as that.
>>
in the department im in currently i would be moving into inventory control, and id be the bottom bitch there in that regard.

if i was to take the path into IT id be the bottom bitch working helpdesk.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.