[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming for beginners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: shutterstock-programming.jpg (1012KB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock-programming.jpg
1012KB, 3888x2592px
My little brother (14) has taken interest in robotics and wants to learn how to code and play with different programs. He is already in a robotics program for next year but he wants to be a few steps in advance.

I don't know jackshit about coding/programming and I'm trying to evaluate my options:

1. Sign him up for a online class. What I had in mind is the Unity/Unreal Engine 4 beginner course on udemy. He will get to learn about coding but at the same time, have some fun and maybe make a littlr game. I think it's better because it won't be too abstract.

2. The other thing I found is some sort of coding bootcamp where he will learn to code with actual teachers.

What should I take?
>>
Obviously everybody will learn differently.
Personally I would recommend before everything else to try learning Python. It's a simple programming/scripting language that can be used for pretty much everything and will teach you the basics of coding. Personally when I first learned to code I started with Java- bad idea. All I wanted to do was make minecraft mods and big games, so I went on youtube and copied tutorials on how to make games with no knowledge of what was actually going on. This is just a pathway to failure and I'm surprised I continued really.

In my opinion, I'd say he should start with learning Python to learn the basics of coding, make a few programs, copy code from online and mess with it to see what effect it has on the program, etc etc. Then he should move on to another language that's best suited to what he wants to do (in this case, robotics) and learn that. That's all the advice I can give
>>
>>18449662
First of all, you are a terrific brother. Your parents must be so proud to have such a caring brother.

When I was 16 I tried programming on my own time. I hated it and didn't touch it again until I was 19 in college (to which I ended up loving it and getting a career out of it). I wouldn't have liked it so much if it weren't for a professor drilling new concepts into my brain every week.

My suggestion: Get him a tutor of some sort. You're on the right track by looking into bootcamps. As long as there is a teacher, he will succeed. Some bootcamps are expensive and usually assume students are young adults. You can also look into summer code camps.

Good luck!
>>
>>18449662
If he's doing First Robotics Competition with his school, then I know stuff about that. I work with the highschool team in my town. I'd find out what they use to program the robot and have him learn that. It'll either be Java or C++. Maybe LabView but I'd hope not. Also, make sure he understands the concepts behind programming and not just syntax. Consider buying him a book. Also, you're a great brother. Keep doing what you're doing.
>>
>Unreal Engine
>oh it's not so abstract
>maybe he maek littel gaem
>>18449790
Who the fuck programs robots in Java?
C++, C and Assembly are the way to go.

Get your brother a trigonometry book and technical mechanics, otherwise what could he program? I bet there's "Trig for 14 year olds" or something.
>>
>>18449823
Fun fact! Java was originally intended for embedded systems
>>
>>18449823
FRC only has standard libraries for Java, C++, and LabView.
>>
>>18449662
There are all kinds of programmable toys on the market. Do a little research and pick one up.
>>
>>18449697
Noted. I'll look for an online course about Python

>>18449707
Thank you for the advice, I found a class on Groupon

>>18449790
I don't know the details but he'll be using this program

https://www.arduino.cc/

I want to pick something that will help him familiarize with it

>>18449823
He has to have some initial interest, like he's actually doing something. I never meant to develop a fully fledged 1st person shooter but maybe something like a platformer
>>
>>18449823
Literally 70% of the robotics most defense contractors work on is Java.
>>
>>18449662
Software engineer here. Was on FIRST team 95 in highschool. Like another anon said Python is the way to go because it distills your basic commands down to be as simple and readable as possible. Your bro won't be bogged down in the details of syntax and can just jump right in and do pretty much whatever he wants with it.

Lots of concepts carry over so it will help him learn more "serious" languages down the line like C++ and Java if he is so inclined.
>>
>>18449662
I suggest to start him on c++ first, so he can get strong bases and develops ability to "think" for himself, let him use his brain... and then java and phyton, if he manages c++ like a boss he has basically learned to program the "hard" way, java is a linear piece of cake and phyton is like a combination of both plus some other things
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.