[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Compsci university degree vs Technical degree vs Self taught

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: Abacus.jpg (35KB, 400x393px) Image search: [Google]
Abacus.jpg
35KB, 400x393px
Compsci university degree vs Technical degree vs Self taught

Is university a waste of time? I am a female and pretty smart, 3.7 GPA. What is the best route to take?
>>
>>18445015
If you are female and not absolutely hideous, you will be able to find a Comp. Sci. job easily, even with the projected decrease in programming jobs in the next 5 years. Without a doubt, some thirsty betas will hire you, and treat you like an important part of the team even if you are not.

Having a good GPA helps, too; so you may as well go for the CS degree.
>>
>>18445036
Does this mean I'm going to have to endure sexual harrasement on the daily?
>>
>>18445041
yes
what did u expect from field that 90% are beta and omegas
>>
>>18445050
I thought they'd be immersed in their waifu/2D collections and too socially inept to comment on the outside world, let alone other people.
>>
>>18445060
In exchange you get a job where no one expects anything from you and will leap to help you
>>
Sorry to raise alarm bells, but you should be prepared, just doing you a favor: there's projected tech bubble about to burst again in the coming years.

Right now, in America especially, but other Western countries as well, there is now a greater supply of software engineers/programmers/IT workers than there is a demand. Silicon Valley grew very rapidly in the '00s and needed a huge labor force, and so a lot of people did try to get the coveted jobs at Google etc. The problem? Companies are looking to downsize and maximize profits now that they've reached market cap. Western workers are not desireable anymore. They want to hire Pajeets from India/Pakistan on H1B visas, who will work for half of your salary. This is all over the news right now.

Bottom line, re-think your CompSci degree, because things are looking very pessmistic right now. Although,I will add that it's good that you're a woman. You get affirmative action points, but I don't know how much that will compensate for the shitty market.

It's your decision. If you're passionate about this, then I can't tell you not to follow your dream.
>>
>>18445097
Thanks for the input, so might be better to self teach or go for a certificate? That way I don't have as much debt in case I can't find a job...
>>
>>18445097
This is true, but
>female
She will make it anyway
>>
>>18445060
You can't generalize all men in their approach to get in your pants. Some take the beta orbiter 'white knight' approach. Some, like the more forward/old-fashioned ones, won't be subtle about their advances. You will be sexually harassed in a field where it's 90%+ men, and most of them are 'thirsty' or sexually frustrated. Just accept that as part of the job description.
>>
>>18445097
I also forgot to add that I don't only have Silicon valley jobs in mind, I'm okay with taking a lower salary job anywhere else. I'm not taking this degree with the mindset that everyone else has thinking I'll make millions in California working for google. I genuinely am interested in the subject and I enjoy math/solving problems.
>>
>>18445122
Want me to be honest with you? Go and become a math teacher. Math teachers are hot in demand right now. I know, because I'm studying to be a teacher myself, and that's where all the 'smart' education majors are focusing on. I, unfortunately, am no good for mathematics. Like I'm borderline retarded to it. So I'm gonna be fighting it out for whatever English/History jobs there are. The math teachers will be hired on the spot though. Very very high demand for them.

Sorry to generalize. Do you have a nurturing side like most women? My classes are 10:1 fem to male. There's a reason for that...
>>
>>18445041
I work in construction and theres no daily sexual harrassment of the female workers. Its not even a policy thing just most of my co workers are more respectful than that. I can name one who isnt and he has a lot of trouble finding work.

I understand there are shitty workplaces but that shit could get you into serious trouble these days so i doubt youll have a problem anymore. If you do fuckin sue or find another employer.

What the other anon was saying is female comp sci staff are rare and because of equal opportunity that means your job prospects are high.
>>
>>18445136
Where the hell do you work where there is female construction workers? I've worked for a year and only seen 2, a heavy equipment operator and an HVAC technician
>>
>>18445131
I might enjoy that but I tend to get really annoyed with people which is why I decided to go with this job because from what I've heard it is good for introverts. I also think teaching the same thing over and over would get redundant, I want to be covering new things and I want to create. Also I'm socially retarded so I'd probably teach everything wrong.
>>
>>18445138
Im a Carpenter. We dont have many but theyre around.

And ive seen them from other trades on other sites. Also im canadian. Might change a thing or two.
>>
P
>>
>>18445145
I'm all those things as well, but I still want to thrust myself in an environment where I have to go out of my comfort zone, and be extroverted. If I'm being completely honest with you. My first college major was IT. I wanted a typical 'Office Space' job. Then it dawned on me, how depressing it would be to go the same building, same cubicle, every day, and deal with the same people/shitty boss. So I switched majors. I picked education because, well, most of my extended family are teachers, and they tell me, once you get tenured after 3-5 years, it's impossible to fire a teacher. In California, we start out very low at 45k, but we top out at 100k at a decade or so on the job. So the pay is very fair. 3 months vacations, and health and pension plans that most private sector people can only wish for.

The thing about the monotony is true--but it's true for most jobs in general. Although, you will be repeating the same material every year, like Groundhog Day, there will be different people in the chairs and each classroom will have their own social dynamics. Well, that's the positive spin.

I also wanted to be a cop, before I settled on teaching, but I don't have the courage to do a LE job, and also I did stupid things as a teenager that would probably cause me to fail a polygraph.

Well, that's probably TMI about myself. But yeah, I'm now 24, and usually one of the oldest guys in my classrooms. I guess, I have a different perspective than you, since I'm assuming that you're very young (fresh out of HS?). Everyone wants to do a cool job when they're young. But as you get older, you just want job security and fulfillment.

I don't know if I helped you out any, with my own perspective. Everyone has to go through their journey of self-discovery. Picking out a career is probably the single most important thing you will ever do. So definitely pick wisely. And good luck.
>>
>>18445258
I basically want a job that makes me think, maybe like a researcher or something? I want to be creative and I like mental stimulation...I don't know what kind of job that would be but somehow I thought his would be close.
>>
>>18445041
Not necessarily but it's very likely.

What's almost certain is that your competence will not be as trusted as any man's. Expect dudes to second guess your work a lot, override your lines of thinking, and in general crush your creative spirit.
>>
>>18445304
I had TAs in my biology class tell me, that they majored in their [whatever degree] with the expectation of going into a research job, and then they did get an entry level job, and they absolutely hated it. You have to have a very special type of personality, possibly autism, in order to fully devote yourself to work with little social interaction. Human beings are social creatures. We're like dogs, we need our packs.

Well, again, only you can find out for yourself what you truly want to do. For the record, a plurality, if not a majority of people, work in something other than they majored in. So like those TAs I mentioned, it wasn't until they did the research stuff, that they discovered, "Oh. It's not for me."

Well, go into university, and get some internships and entry level jobs in whatever piques your curiosity, and take it from there. You can't 'armchair' plan out your life.
>>
>>18445097
So if programming is bad, what are careers that are good?
>>
>>18445329
Depends on the country and your skill sets.

Are you good with math and problem solving?Chemical/Petroleum/Biomedical/Computer/Nano engineering majors are all in hot demand.

Especially biomedical, mechanical, and nano engineering are exploding right now. As we enter the age of the singularity, there will come a time when there's a greater need for an engineer than a doctor, i.e. 'Ghost in the Shell'. Many, many other jobs will also become automated. With Trump, there's talks of infrastructure projects, so even the civil engineer folks will get some love.

If you're not so good for those brainy math jobs? Honestly, get a trade/blue collar job while they still exist. Defense industry is always big. Working on repairing an aircraft is actually very rewarding. Things like operating some radio tower/dish. Small things you don't even think of. If you're in the States, then we will need more social workers, and law enforcement jobs, especially Customs and Border Patrol. People are always dying, so nurses still needed right now, until the singuarlity happens. People are always shitting out kids, so we need teachers too. I can't think of anything else at the moment. Most other fields are fully saturated, e.g. lawyers
>>
>>18445327
I've already been accepted to a good university, Im just scared to commit money and time towards something that might be a waste
>>
>>18445368
Damn I was accepted into engineering and compsci but I went with compsci because I couldn't see myself liking engineering as much and I thought the jobs were worse for engineering....did I make a mistake?
>>
>>18445443
That's the gamble that one must take when doing the university thing. There is a financial cost and an opportunity cost to doing it. So make sure you want to do it, and are picking a major that you are interested in AND will get you a career related to your interests.

>>18445448
Possibly. If you're not in too deep. See an advisor and ask them how many of your courses will transfer over to an eng program. I would imagine, CompSci and CompEng would share a lot of overlap. CompEng would definitely be a more solid bet. But also more work. So there's that.
>>
>>18445456
I heard there was less jobs for CompEng, I did a lot of research and looked through job postings etc and CompeEng seemed dry.
>>
>>18445466
Well, it depends, on what you want to do it with it. Silicon based fabrication is in its last years. It seems like we're moving to graphene and the holy grail: quantum computing. So maybe getting a job at Intel probably isn't that likely -- I don't know if they're hiring. But the knowledge you will gain, the hardware side, will give you an edge over the CompSci people. You can still do a CompSci job with a CompEng degree. The other way around is much less probable. Tesla is the way of the future for the automotive industry, and so is self-driving cars. Those industuries will need people with an engineering background to solve some of their most immediate problems. The software side is probably the least challenging based on my understanding of the difficulties there.
>>
Anoher aspect of compsci I liked was the option to work from home if I was a web developer or something similar. I doubt I would be able to work from home as an engineer. In the future I plan on having children and I would rather stay at home with them.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.