[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How should I choose my university major?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1456073187190.jpg (32KB, 406x587px) Image search: [Google]
1456073187190.jpg
32KB, 406x587px
I'm so lost and can't choose because there are so many things that seem interesting and good to study. How does anyone 'choose' one or two majors among all of these things you could study? It seems like there's just way too much freedom all of a sudden, like existential freedom. How did you choose /adv/? Help
>>
Take a year to just take a bunch of different classes and see what you like. Unless you're in the US and it's going to cost you a shitload.
>>
Also I should note that I'm Australian going to an Australian university so I can't do any of that 'undeclared' major crap as much as I'd like to.
>>
>>18444119
Jeez thanks for the quick reply, but I have to go into uni with a certain degree program and a major.
>>
>>18444130
Then take a year off and think about what you want to study. Take that time to work and save up because uni isn't cheap.
>>
>>18444112
1. What do you like to do?
2. Search job market in your target location.
3. Question yourself if the money are good.
4. Apply to some uni.
5. Dont fall for meme called
>study what you like
it is made for nerds who like hard science. If you like some humanities thing, save yourself trouble and go right here
https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/careers.html

Google
>online career test
and do like 10 of them to see.

>>18444119
I cant imagine more shit advice, really you have won.
>>
>>18444133
I've actually taken a semester off and I'd be starting in semester 2 in July if I did start. I've been working in a cafe and stuff and reading a lot but it hasn't helped tremendously. I know at the very least that I don't want to study natural sciences because I consider them memes, but perhaps maths or engineering. But I'm starting to think, why not finance or law or anything less STEM that's still practical and useful?

>>18444136
I know at least that I'd like to do something practical, so I was able to cross out philosophy, English and history off my list. The problem is I like both STEM and humanities, so I'm considering things like maths/finance or law/economics double degree.
>>
>>18444168
>i like both STEM and humanities
Look again at number 2. And actually do it.
>>
>>18444182
Do you mean like through linkedin, where I look at people who occupy my 'dream job' and see what they studied?
>>
>>18444196
I mean look at sites offering free positions and look at requirements.

There is no point studying something which nobody wants in area where you want to live and or settle down.

Imagine yourself having done studies and looking for jobs.
>>
>>18444136
Nothing wrong with humanities, you just have to skip getting a PHD and build experience instead.
>>
>>18444220
Alright I will try that, although I'm not sure which jobs I'd be suitable for
>>
>>18444168
mate, law isnt useful. you wanna be a lawyer? spend 10 years being somebodies paperwork monkey and desperately trying to make a name for yourself so you can start getting a decent pay cheque?

nah man
every lawyer ive ever known have fucking hated it
and every "law graduate" i know isnt in fucking law
waste of time
its the degree every dumb cunt does so they can tell people they do it, equivalent to a business degree imo
>>
>>18444472
lmao yeah that seems to be the case. i've been considering it because it seems to be equivalent to an arts degree but more practical, but an actual lawyer job seems boring and overly-romanticised
>>
>>18444501
its not really practical though
the jobs are few and far between, particularly in certain states. you'd be lucky to be an intern.
>>
>>18444512
more practical than a philosophy degree, though, right?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.