[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4231.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4231.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Over the last few years my dog has been dealing with separation anxiety. Its gotten to the point where we have to keep her chained in the back porch because she destroys the walls and doors pouncing on them and ruining them as well as peeing and pooping everywhere every time we leave.

When we have other people dog sit for her she's perfectly fine being home alone with them but with my family its the same howling, barking, and pacing until we get home and sometimes we wont be home for a good 6-7 hours and its all she does.

We've tried everything from getting a new dog to keep her company to using the ThunderJacket. Basically everything under the sun except straight sedatives.

She used to never do this but after one summer of me being home she went absolutely nuts when school went back into session.

Any advice dealing with this? I'm afraid shes going to die early because of this stress.

>Pic is dog
>>
>>18441259
Why do people get dogs when they're not around to look after them? Dogs arent like cats, they're not suited to being alone all damn day.
>>
>>18441260
We dont leave her alone all day everyday. These are just rare occasions when we go out to the beach or what have you.
>>
>>18441272
Oh okay. Well tbqh if it's not that often why not get a sitter for those days?
We always do for our dog, she knows she won't be left alone for long bc of that and so she never gets anxious.
>>
>>18441272

The rarer it is the worse it gets

She gets accustumed to being with her pack all the time, when you break the pattern it fucks her up
>>
>>18441272#
OP on phone here
We would get on for her if we could afford it. Haven't been in the best financial situation the last few years.
>>
>>18441272
why would you go to the beach without your doggo?

she'd have so much fun
>>
could try one of these things.

https://www.safewise.com/blog/8-pet-cameras-every-pet-owner-should-know-about/

less expensive than paying a sitter and it just might work to keep her calm if she could hear your voice talking to her or even see you on a screen

idk
>>
Sounds like you're misdiagnosing her having way too much energy and being stuck inside as "separation anxiety" how about you walk her more, go for runs instead of just walking. Take her out and drain her energy.
>>
>>18441387
he already said she behaves differently when people are at home with her vs not

if she was just bored and had too much energy she'd be like that all the time
>>
>>18441390
Except those people probably take her for walks and play with her.
>>
4th year veterinary student

If it's gotten to the point where she is destroying things and she is in risk of injuring herself then you need to take her to a veterinarian to be put on anti-anxiety medications. Any sort of modification you try to do (food toys, training, environmental enrichment, etc.) won't do anything until lower her baseline anxiety with medication.
>>
>>18441387
Op on phone here
She has no energy when we come home. We've recorded her when she's home alone and all she does is pace and howl. When we get home she runs around all happy cause we are home for a minute, we pet her and say hi back, and then she goes and lays down and sleeps.
>>
>>18441387
Op on phone
She has no energy when we come home. We've recorded her when she's home alone and all she does is pace and howl. When we get home she runs around all happy cause we are home for a minute, we pet her and say hi back, and then she goes and lays down and sleeps.
>>
>>18441404
Do you know if there are any side affects to these meds? I don't want to have a doped up dog stumbling around.
>>
>>18441373
Unfortunately a good majority of beaches don't allow dogs where I live
>>
>>18441431
Yes sedation is one of the side effects but you would be working with your veterinarian to find the right dose to lower her anxiety while you are gone without making her a vegetable when you are home. It takes some trial and error and time but most people I talk to are happy with he results in the end.

Most of these drugs are also extremely cheap and they can be purchased at any human pharmacy like Walgreen's or CVS
>>
>>18441449
Thanks for the information, feels like this is my final resort for my poor doggo
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.