[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can I do to convince the GCSE Maths Tutor that I can do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: brainlet.jpg (79KB, 874x684px) Image search: [Google]
brainlet.jpg
79KB, 874x684px
Originally posted in /sci/ but no one responded so I hope you guys can help.

Today I did an assessment and only got 22% on it, I feel beyond fucked since I need to get into the higher tier maths so I can get an A, know how to do maths properly at advanced levels so I can go to university.

Please help me out /adv/ what can I say to the tutor to convince him at the interview next week that I can do it? Britfag btw.
>>
>bump
>>
Is relationship advice all of you know or something?
>>
I mean.... this is pretty clear cut.

You either have the requisite knowledge to move on to the next course, or you do not.

It's pretty black and white.

22% says you do not, and makes it painfully obvious that you are nowhere near the level you need to be.

Even IF you got bumped up, you would be even more lost and definitely not score well AT ALL.
>>
>>18439613
This isn't a test for university, it's an assessment to judge your current math skills before you do GCSE Maths.

I'm a NEET and have all the time to improve, I just need to be given that chance to prove I am capable of this, I've been out of education for over 6 years now.
>>
>>18439613
This.

It's 2am, you shouldn't be up that late on what I presume is a school night.

Lock your console away, tell your friends to get fucked and actually put some effort in.

>>18439632
So why didn't you?
>>
>>18439637
I'm 25, I've had a complicated education history that I don't want to get into, I've not had a good past.

I did but roughly 70% of the questions were something I didn't know would be in the test, they were questions that you needed to know what the symbols mean and the technique on how to figure it out to solve them.

It feels like back when I did my theory test, no matter how much I studied I had to retake it two more times to finally pass but passed first time when I did the driving test.
>>
>>18439653
Perhaps you're dyslexic?

Did you not know because you didn't practice or were things genuinely a surprise.
If the former (be truthful here) the work harder. If the latter talk to the tutor about it.

Anecdotal story from me.
I struggled with Maths, got a B in the end. I didn't like the teacher but wanted to do A level maths. The head of maths said I wasn't capable so I couldn't do it. I am now doing CS at University and one of the modules was essentially a level maths. I worried I would struggle with it but it turned out to be the highest mark this year. I saw the head of maths and we talked, looking back he was right, at the time it would have been a gamble for him that's why he had refused me, now though I proved I could do it.
>>
When I went back to college at 24 I had to take a placement test for math. I ended up getting put into the most remedial math class. It was literally things I learned when I was 12. Was I really that bad at math? No, I just wasn't prepared and I was so far removed from practice I just bombed the test. I almost got a perfect grade in the first class because it was too easy. The next class was a breeze too. Next was college algebra, again a breeze. Then I hit trigonometry and it was easy. You get the picture.

Yeah I had to waste a few semesters taking math for retards but the reality was I was the retard for not being prepared. I fucked myself over and can only blame myself. It's not the tests fault. You might have a better grasp on mathematics than that test revealed, but it's there for a reason. You think you should get special treatment?
>>
>>18439667
Autistic. It was genuinely a surprise to do with the questions, she did say they raised the bar for higher tier maths so maybe the questions that were in it were to see if you knew higher tier math skills?

I remember it being a lot easier back when I was 18 and forced to do GCSE by my parents, I breezed through it and got into higher tier. I guess I'm going to have to pretty much beg this tutor the importance of this for my future career and that I have the time to do this otherwise it's pointless for me to pursue a foundation tier.
>>
>>18439687
>>18439668
>>
Good news, the test is just one indicator of your current math skills. I'm a major in math and I got fucked so hard that I got 10% in a 3rd year quiz.
The key to math is not panicking when you don't understand a concept. Most of it comes down to memorising key steps and doing practice problems.
>>
>>18439668
You're assuming I didn't do studying, anon I'm not a shitposting 12 year old I genuinely tried my best from what I studied and got hit with a series of questions that I didn't intend to expect, what I thought was that it was like a few years ago where they see if you can do foundation tier so like if you got 80% or higher on these simple questions then you do not need to do foundation tier and can tackle and learn higher tier maths.

From what I have seen it seems now they have included a bunch of higher tier maths questions with sprinkles of foundation tier questions, I begged them to tell me what education board they used so I could order the correct book on higher tier maths so I could correctly study but they refused to tell me so I ended up studying online and covering all bases on foundation tier so I wouldn't screw up.

I'm stressed and hot, that is why I am still up.
>>
>>18439485
Thanks for the advice anyway anons, if I don't get into it then I will just have to work harder and do higher tier next year if I have to or go somewhere else and study where I am lacking and hope they tell similar questions again.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.