[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Migrating to Canada. Yay or nay ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 9

File: EP-29.jpg (37KB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
EP-29.jpg
37KB, 600x336px
Hi guys !
So recently shit has really hit the fan in my country and just about everybody my age is leaving the country ( over 20% of the population aged 18-30 has left the country just in 2016. 2017 is expected to be worse ).

So, as all my friends are packing their stuff, there's no point in staying here.
And I have the opportunity to work in alot of countries, given my current work experience, and someone suggested Canada. Moreover, the visas for Canada will be lifted by December 2017, which is a great thing.

I have friends in whole Europe and a few in Australia, but nobody in Canada.
Can any canadian please be so kind as to tell me something about Canada ? Lifestyle, how's life there, how are the people there, how are immigrants seen ?
I've worked so far with people from Calgary, Alberta, Toronto, Quebec and Montreal and they seem like really good natured people with lots of patience.

Also, in order to give something back to /adv/, ask a multinational service desk analyst anything.
>>
File: 1494394209414.jpg (2MB, 2860x2108px) Image search: [Google]
1494394209414.jpg
2MB, 2860x2108px
>>18437212

i'll just post cars in the meantime.
>>
File: 1491036679705.jpg (589KB, 2040x1360px) Image search: [Google]
1491036679705.jpg
589KB, 2040x1360px
>>18437222

Soo..from what i've heard, Canada has one of the highest standards of living ?
Also, how's the weather in the aforementioned cities ? Or Canadian weather in general ?
>>
File: 1494902573571.jpg (920KB, 2048x1340px) Image search: [Google]
1494902573571.jpg
920KB, 2048x1340px
>>18437225

and, just as important, how's the car culture there ? Are the cars being taxed like there is no tomorrow, like in Holland or Australia ?
>>
File: 1489803650953.jpg (1MB, 2048x1362px) Image search: [Google]
1489803650953.jpg
1MB, 2048x1362px
>>18437245
>>
File: 1488895423947.jpg (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1488895423947.jpg
1MB, 1600x900px
>>18437265

No canadians online at this hour ?
>>
>>18437212
Well Canada has a lot of nice amenities, but shit gets cold fast. Where are you coming from, Puerto Rico?

Vancouver BC is a nice place, but you have to deal with the Chinese.
>>
>>18437282

much thanks for your reply !
I'm currently located in Eastern Europe, and in winter you regularly see -20 ~ -25 degrees Celsius outside ( that should be like -13 degrees Fahrenheit ? )

Also, should I sign up for a french course ? My current workplace reimburses the money you spend on courses that have atleast a remote connection with the job.
>>
File: A Mirror For Women.jpg (21KB, 499x661px) Image search: [Google]
A Mirror For Women.jpg
21KB, 499x661px
>>18437245
>Ontario
Highest insurance rates in North America, but big variety in car culture
>BC
lowest insurance rates along with Quebec, mountains, lots of good off-road, but also lots of rain, cheap Japanese imports and low restrictions on imports mean lots of JDM, yo.
>Quebec
Low insurance rates like BC, but many of the towns and roads are centuries old and as a result, have turns
Quebec is pretty restrictive about modifying cars from what I've heard. However this is from 4channers, so take that with a grain of salt.
>Alberta
Stay the fuck out of the meth province. Low tax, high poverty, high drugs, jobs aren't coming back.
Everything else is irrelevant.
Don't live in Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal because the rent's too high. Consider living in the metro around and commuting in.

And yes, shit does get cold. Except for in Vancouver and the Niagara region of Ontario. In those places you can ride a motorcycle in december at the balmy temperature of -10c.

Also Ontario is the most racist province in terms of general attitudes and the population density. But you will get it worse in the praries because generally they're full of shitty people. Fuck 'em.
>>
File: ed.png (274KB, 330x390px) Image search: [Google]
ed.png
274KB, 330x390px
>>18437282
>Chinese in Vancouver
lol
>>
>>18437310

so, it's mostly down to Vancouver or Quebec ?
Also, I generally do prefer commuting and living a few kms away from the city, I don't really enjoy the urban chaos.
When I worked in Italy, I had no qualms on doing a 10-15km ( that's like 6-10 miles ) in the morning.
>>
Stay in your containment country
>>
>>18437304
Speaking French helps, but if you're Eastern European, you can use whatever languages you already know to land good jobs as it is. The anglosphere suffers from too many native english speakers not being multilingual.

Also most of Canada does not parle le francais and does not appelez sur le deux. So French is not necessary and anglophones are doing a very good job of moving into Quebec and not speaking French, and thereby forcing most Quebec youth to speak English.

We should be speaking the Queen's tongue in 100% of Canada before I die.

Addendum: Ontario is the best province overall, but each province has their advantages.

>>18437326
10 miles is nothing to a Canadian commute. You're going to experience a bit of a shock, but Canada is yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.
A 1 hour commute is not unreasonable here, and we have highways that do 100kph on the speed limit. But everyone does 115-130.
So your commute of an hour will end up being around 70kms or so, give or take some.

If you want to live in a small town and commute to a big town, that is.
>>
>>18437332

sorry bub - everybody is leaving.

>>18437338
I'm asking this because this job is as multilingual as it gets. I learned basic spanish on the fly, from customers and resolving teams.

From what I can see, a service desk analyst earns 50-55k / year. Is it poorfag tier ? Is it reasonable ?
Also, I'm pleased to see that one of the biggest corporations with which I work on a daily basis ( SoftChoice if you've heard of them ) is present and hiring in Canada.
>>
>>18437383
If you're the kind of person who can pick up a language like that, you'll probably pick up French easily and land all the jobs. A multilingual expat with good experience? If you just casually learn conversational French, you'll make bank.

50k is a reasonable salary. 35k is about a full time, minimum wage job here. Our "middle class" is pinned at 80k-90k/year.
>>
>>18437402
>>18437402

Well, I'm just relying on this job as the starting point. I refuse to migrate blindly to a country. Move there, and then find a job. I first want to sign the job, and then move.

So do you recommend to sign up for a French course ? They cost next to nothing here ( about 150-200 euros ).

>50k is a reasonable salary. 35k is about a full time, minimum wage job here. Our "middle class" is pinned at 80k-90k/year.

These numbers are insane. Even so, I compared the average salary in UK and Canada for this job, and for UK it's 25k/year and Canada it's 50k/year.
I assume that the cost of living is insane aswell ? Anyway, if you say that it's a reasonable salary then it should mean that you can afford a reasonably comfy life ?
Are properties/houses ballistically expensive ? Let's say for some town outside of a big city ?

Thank you so much for your time ! I really want to think this through by December, when the visas will be lifted.
>>
>>18437421
It's the value of our dollar. The actual value of a currency is irrelevant. In Japan, things cost tens of thousands of Yen. Here, you spend less individual dollars, and in the UK, you spend less individual pounds.

What matters is the amount of purchasing power you get for your time worked. I live in a fairly low income part of Ontario, with a roommate. I work 50 hours to pay rent, and another 17 to pay for food. Including eating out and the occasional treat and guilty pleasures. This is at minimum wage, full time. 67 hours and I have my mandatory costs paid off. So, just over a week and a half of work.
If you can get a french course cheap, go for it. It will only help you get employed. But it certainly isn't necessary.

Costs of living change between cities, though. 50k/year won't go as far in say, Vancouver. But if you live in one of the small towns around it, $50k should be fine.

You should be fine on 50k/year with a fun car. Especially if you're living in southern BC, where winter doesn't happen at all.
>>
File: 1488992533794.png (3MB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
1488992533794.png
3MB, 2048x1360px
>>18437457

Thank you so much for the info ! My gf works as a make-up artist but the average salary in Canada seems to be 30k which doesn't seem that much, from what you've said. She might require to do something else.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.