[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finding a place to live

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: R5511.png (4KB, 466x336px) Image search: [Google]
R5511.png
4KB, 466x336px
1. How long does it usually take to find a place to live for more than one month?
2. Is it possible to find one and move into it in less than three days? I only have a backpack and two baggages. No credit.
3. In total, how much did you spend to actually get the place? The only two things that come to mind right now are the first month's rent + damage deposit.

Back story:

-Canadian moving to the USA (bay area) for job
-Job doesn't offer relocation assistance
-Have rental car for 10 days
-Will be staying there indefinitely
-Don't know anyone there so I have to airbnb/hotel until i find an apartment to rent
-Canadian credit is good, but it doesn't exist in USA
-No SSN either, but ill get it in ~1 month

My budget for a studio is $1800/month. I'll assume my damage deposit == rent, so my upfront payment will be $3600 (+ whatever you guys suggest). My work feeds me lunch and dinner so I'd realistically only need to buy enough food for breakfast/evening snack. Expenses until I get my first pay cheque is food, gas, the prepaid phone plan, internet, and uber/taxi (I'll have to take this after I return my rental car).

My plan is this:
>Before leaving, book an airbnb for 2 nights/3 days
>Arrive in the morning
>Pick up rental car
>Drive to nearest mall
>Get a Prepaid SIM card so that I can make phone calls and have data for GPS and Craigslist/Padmapper
>Drive around various neighborhoods looking for "For Rent" sign
>Call ads on craigslist/padmapper
>Check into Airbnb, drop off baggage
>Resume apartment hunt
>Stop calling and/or driving around at 8 PM, go to airbnb, rest
>Wake up at 9 AM
>Begin making calls and driving around neighborhoods looking for a long term apartment/suite for rent
>Repeat for the next day and stuff
If I can't find anything by the last night at my airbnb, I'll find another airbnb to stay at or extend my stay (if possible).
>>
Of its near the end of the month itnwill probably be fast. If in the middle probanly be awhile.

Look for something month to month. That will give you time to find something good ling term without feeling pressured.
>>
>>18432613
We're talking in numbers here higher than what I'm used too. My mortgage is only $600 a month. So I'm assuming you're going to be in a large city like New York?

Renting is going to differ greatly depending on location. If you're coming over with barely anything, such as zero furniture, and you're having difficulty, try looking into moving into an existing place with a roommate where you're allowed to be added onto a lease.

Normally, most people don't want to have themselves added to a lease, because they can't just up and bolt and it puts them in legal situation where it's landlord vs you instead of roommate vs you. However, if you're added to a lease your credit or rent score isn't needed to be checked. Especially if it's an existing one since it's already been met by the former tenant. That should let you develop some credit here in the US and give you a place for at least a couple months.

Good luck.
>>
>>18432613
Do airbnb as a bridge while you look. Also consider renting a room for two month while you search for a more permanent place on Craigslist.
>>
>>18432613
Go to apartment.com and get a feel about what your spending area is. You can email the apartments and set up walk throughs for when you arrive.
If they have open rooms then you can usually move in within a week.
Ask them how many rooms the have available and when the earliest you can move in is even if you arent planning on choosing them.
>>
huh OP you are putting way to much effort into this. Every time I move I figure my shit out the day before. Why aren't you checking places before you go? There's always a shitthole to rent no matter where you go.
>>
>>18432750
Thanks so much for suggesting this site. For the past few weeks I've been using Craigslist and Padmapper to get an idea of housing, so this is such a breath of fresh air (especially the availability field)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.