[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a Craigslist scam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_5845.jpg (43KB, 575x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5845.jpg
43KB, 575x450px
Looking for an apartment nearby, find one that looks beautiful, only one pic on the ad (not sure why). Poster says to text the number given for additional pics and info on the place.

I do so, and I'm met with an essay about how they're military stationed in Texas (the alleged property is in Maryland) and they have the key but need the security deposit before they'll send it to me, which is "refundable" if I don't like it.

The email they messaged me with had a Philadelphia address but the Craigslist ad states a Baltimore address. So I'm thinking this is some asshole scamming people and he messed up his copy/paste, when I asked why I was given two different addresses they stopped responding immediately. It's possible they're working but it's hard to think that. The email did contain additional pictures of the property though, and it was stunning, especially for the price and location. I was ready to send the deposit til I thought over the situation and my spidey senses began tingling.

They also had relatively poor English which is concerning seeing as they're allegedly military with a very American name. I told them we needed to move in early August and they said that's fine they just need the security deposit to secure the property for us and we can start paying rent in August. Which really doesn't make any sense at all, because we could get a free month of rent if we were assholes. They seemed concerned about getting the 500 deposit but when I questioned them on why there's two addresses they stopped responding l. I tried to call the number they were texting me from and it was a google voice number with no voicemail.

There's probably more red flags that I'm not remembering as I type this. I'm not dumb enough to get scammed so i won't be sending any payments until they explain the entire situation and send real ID and contact info should they try to steal the deposit if it even got to that point. I just really want this to be real.

What do you guys think?
>>
If there's doubt, throw it out.
>>
how did they want you to pay? what form?
>>
File: IMG_5835.png (2MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5835.png
2MB, 1242x2208px
Pics w details incoming

1 of ??
>>
File: IMG_5862.jpg (201KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5862.jpg
201KB, 1242x2208px
>>18429591
>>
File: IMG_5859.jpg (492KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5859.jpg
492KB, 1242x2208px
>>18429592
So the ad said to text that number with my email as you can see I did and then I got this series of emails which arrived way too fast to have actually been typed out.
>>
>>18429576
>Avoid scams, deal locally! DO NOT wire funds (e.g. Western Union), or buy/rent sight unseen

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
>>
>>18429592

>kindly check your inbox and spam folder

hahahahahahahahahaha
>>
how do they want you to pay? paypal?
>>
File: IMG_5840.png (397KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5840.png
397KB, 1242x2208px
>>18429600
>>
File: IMG_5861.jpg (427KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5861.jpg
427KB, 1242x2208px
>>18429604
>>
File: IMG_5864.jpg (423KB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5864.jpg
423KB, 1242x2208px
>>18429607
>>
>>18429580
Yeah that's generally what I do but I want this place to be real so bad I'm trying to get to the bottom of this
>>18429589
Never said, didn't get to ask
>>18429601
Already read it. Just don't want to give up hope. Not gonna get scammed if I never send the money. Just looking for opinions on the situation.
>>18429602
Right tho
>>18429603
Never stated.
>>
>>18429620

alright the form of payment will clarify cuz they're going to say something like 'oh i need you to pay with a special 'form' (which turns out is just a gift card you get from 7/11) or western union and the such. its total bull shit. this place is not real, especially if they have two properties.

but yeah never trust someone who wants money before you even look at it. if they were serious about renting this out they would have left a key with a neighbor
>>
>>18429623
Yeah that's kinda what I was figuring. The further the conversation went the more surprised I was they didn't just outright ask for a money order. The only thing my faith in this is holding onto is that they said in the initial email they'd send the key after the application is filled out, but then in the text conversation they say they need the security deposit.
>>
>>18429627

i wouldnt even bother trying to follow up but if you must just say 'hey im ready to send payment, how do you want to do this?

if its somethign that can't be traced back to you (western union, gift card, etc) you're out. but its almost 100% certainly a scam, i mean who has professional photos of their apartment emptied laying around?
>>
>>18429631
I was gonna try that tomorrow. About an hour after they stopped responding I made a fake email with a fake name and displayed an interest to see if things were congruent but that one didn't even get a response.
>>
>>18429635
At least you're not completely retarded.
>>
>>18429645

no need to be mean i mean i gave him a hard time but he noticed it was fishy.
>>
This is likely a scam OP, but there's also some stuff here that makes me think it couldn't be. The bad definitely outweighs the good though, stay sharp.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.