[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any fathers of estranged sons? How do you cope with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1395012709111.jpg (15KB, 380x450px) Image search: [Google]
1395012709111.jpg
15KB, 380x450px
Are there any fathers of estranged sons? How do you cope with Father's Day? Tomorrow is going to be the third Father's Day since my son stopped speaking to me, and I can't stop dwelling on this. Has anyone else been in a similar experience?
>>
I'm sure that you knew that you'll have to take the first step to mend the relationship. Try to write him a letter; don't apologize but suggest that the two of you meet up when he's ready.
>>
>>18429216
What caused the rift, OP?
>>
>>18429276
I hired him to work for me. He had a number of issues with another employee, and when I took the other guy's side, he quit. I realize now I was afraid to act in part because I was afraid of being accused of nepotism. About a year after he quit, I received similar complaints from other employees about the same person and fired him. But by that time, my son had moved to another city. I have tried explaining this to him in multiple emails, but he never responds. I know from speaking to my wife and my other son that he reads them.
>>
>>18429301
I guess you just have to keep trying.

Is he close with your wife or his brother? Maybe they could speak to him on your behalf?
>>
>>18429301
Actually, I think you son is acting immature and selfish. Everybody is human and capable of making mistakes. I'm sure he felt hurt you didn't believe him. However, once you apologize, show remorse, explain the situation, and promise not to do it again, it's time for forgiveness. Your son acting like a spoiled child by not responding, not talking and cutting you off is pretty dramatic. He needs to give it up.
>>
>>18429301
ive seen your threads before
my sympathies, anon. i hope you two can work it out in time
>>
>>18429301
No offence, but your son seems entitled as fuck if that's all it was. I have a hole in my elbow from when my dad tossed me through some stairs in a fight, and I was kicked out at 16. I didn't see or talk to him for 4 years.

We managed to repair our relationship, and now we're pretty close. Have hope, OP, I'm a stubborn fuck and even we managed to make it work. But yeah, he had to swallow his pride, I sure as fuck wasn't willing to.
>>
>>18429301
Having a troubled relationship with my father and tried to work with him before, I can assure you that you two probably have some deeper issues and this was just the last drop in the bucket. The lack of trust in him probably hurt him really deep.
>>
>>18429352
>deeper issues
This. Wherther irrational or not, he had to leave his job and relocate because his superior was unwilling to adequately investigate the situation. That's a professional AND personal foul. Have there been other 'incidents' (rhetorical)? If he's too resentful, e-mails might seem trite at best. If you really want to repair the relationship, you may need to prepared for a conflict. Just remember, your son is the 'prize'.
>>
This is my first father's day since my estranged father killed himself earlier this year.

He was a drug addict and an alcoholic. I cut him off because he was just too stressful to have in my life. He also developed mental illness and extreme paranoia. He would think the government was after him and would speak in gibberish at times.

I ignored his calls and texts for years. One time, shortly before he died he called me and asked if I wanted to meet up and get lunch or something. I cussed him out and told him to leave me the hell alone.

And now I feel pretty bad about him committing suicide. But at the same time, I'm happy that he's out of his suffering.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, just wanted to vent. But anyway, I would recommend that you just keep trying periodically. Don't try to contact him too much or you'll piss him off. Maybe just every few months.
>>
>>18429328

>I have a hole in my elbow from when my dad tossed me through some stairs in a fight, and I was kicked out at 16.
>he had to swallow his pride, I sure as fuck wasn't willing to.

Good for you anon. You shouldn't have to swallow your pride when he's in the wrong. Glad to hear that even this can get repaired.
>>
I'm an estranged daughter from my father. Our relationship is a lot different because he abused me and hit me when I was a kid. And he acts like nothing happened as I became an adult, but this shit sticks.

I'm sorry about what happened between you and your son. I don't really think you were wrong, but maybe your son took things very personally, as it is hard to separate business from family when the two mix. I hope that you will be able to talk to him some day.

Try not to bug him too often, you know? My father texts, calls, emails me a few times a week. I get a lot of anxiety, stomachaches, tension headaches bc of the stress it causes me. Can't say that will be his reaction obviously, but you get my drift, don't try too hard with him.

Happy father's day, man.
>>
>>18431264
Try some valerian root for that stress
>>
>>18431266

>Try some valerian root for that stress
Thanks for the kind suggestion, anon.
I really appreciate it and I will try it.
>>
>>18429216
For me it's the opposite, my dad's the one that barely talks to me and ignores me. I hope you aren't an asshole like that and that's why your kid doesn't talk to you. Hell today I offered to do something for him and he refused it so whatever I tried.
>>
Estranged son here, Its been around 6 years since I have contacted my father. I dont miss him or need his support, I have 2 half sisters whom I also have no contact with. I do wonder about his health, I suspect the next time I will see him it will be at his funeral.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.