[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here, who struggled with depression at some point

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Has anyone here, who struggled with depression at some point in the past and overcome it, truly felt deeply, deeply happy again afterwards? Or is it that if you have a predisposition towards depression you will never be entirely happy and just feel "okay" or "so-so" once you overcome it?
>>
Did you actually feel "deeply, deeply happy" before your depression?

In my experience nobody is "happy" for an infinite period of time, and it's rather about being content with your situation and who you are. Everyone will feel "okay" and "so-so" from time to time, and now and then feel happy.

Don't be too obsessed with happiness, the irony of it is that it will likely make you miserable.
>>
I'm not sure if it was depression because I was never suicidal but I went from insecure angst loser crybaby depressive teen to disturbed but confident and happy adult.

I sometimes get the depressive moods but I just don't give a shit and go on.

I'm basically in a ubermensh mode: no vidya or nerd shit, 1 fap a week, working out hard, training boxing, climbing, reading books, finishing my PHD, finding a little time to have social life outside of my work, going to some various sports/hobby social events with people I don't know (doing it instead of clubbing, I hate clubbing), trying to date but shit's hard after getting used and cheated on lately - still not giving up to shitty moods.

The worst shit still are neurosomatic symptoms of stress. Like, I'm hitting on a girl, getting rejected, keeping it cool and having fun till the rest of the night, then I can't sleep after that, or getting dizzy, dry throat, getting nervous ticks, wanting to puke and so on.

Still. I can take this on so I pretty much went from super neurotic to closet neurotic hiding all the worst shit inside and keeping it at bay.

Life is pain and struggle, but we can take it brah. It's still fun.
>>
I used to feel "Depressed" or "k" not so long ago. But I wasn't "Happy" or "Fine". I tried not feeling anything, and I shrugged anything off. I also lost empathy & sympathy for other human beings. I was hollow. All because I was repressed as hell (At least I hope so, else I'm probably just a sociopath).
But the more I allow myself to say "Yeah I'm depressed as shit" and actually express myself to a friend, the better I feel and the more black and white (depressed or happy) it gets, instead of black and grey (depressed or meh).

Just don't try to repress anything. I believe it's a big obstacle to happiness and not something that will help you achieve it. And as the other anon said - Don't obsess over it. Let it naturally come to ya.
>>
>>18427122
Judging by your post id say you're more well adjusted than 90% of the people on this board. GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!
I came here hoping to read the end all cure for a gf. And now i just hold resent for women in general.
>>
>In my experience nobody is "happy" for an infinite period of time, and it's rather about being content with your situation and who you are. Everyone will feel "okay" and "so-so" from time to time, and now and then feel happy.

This. This 1000x. Even the young kids at the bars and clubs, partying getting wasted dancing the night away... Ive been there, and I can say that the 'happiness' they are experiencing isnt really this deep feeling but more a fleeting experience.

Instead of chasing happiness, chase satisfaction. Do activities and hobbies that make you feel satisfied and accomplished afterwards.
>>
File: thread.jpg (55KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
thread.jpg
55KB, 960x720px
>>18427101
/thread
>>
>>18427101
100% this. happiness isnĀ“t a permanent state.
>>
>>18427088
according to many people, if you are depressed, odds are stacked against you
even if you overcome it, you'll become depressed again

its like being fat
even if you lose weight, 90% of the former fat people will become fat once again
>>
>>18427088
Getting over depression is not about being happy.

I was severely depressed about 7 years ago. I've attempted suicide and gone to institutions immediately after my attempt five times in my life.

It gets better. But you do not remain happy. But that's not what getting better is about. I am a very pessimistic person. It feels like it is my first nature to self loathe and doubt.

I was in therapy for several years. I simultaneously found the roots of my despair and found ways to actively change my thinking process.

I would not say I am happy. Who really is happy with everything they've got? I'm sure people can feel grateful, thankful, optimistic, motivated, prideful, etc. But happiness does not need to be associated with those feelings Rather, I've become much more level headed. And I'm not just okay, I feel great. I am motivated, I take care of myself, I have organized my goals and set in the direction of where I want to be, I work hard, and I congratulate myself when I accomplish something.

I've learned that the point of life just isn't happiness. Getting too sad over things I had no control of or beating myself up is just a way of trapping myself into a perpetual cycle that will never benefit me or the people I care about.

Once overcame, it's not happiness, instead it's more like enlightenment, a new found self and purpose, and a readiness to defend yourself from ever feeling depressed again. It's a better feeling than happiness.
>>
>>18427684
I block this page for 5 days a week, I lurk on weekends only.
>>
>>18427088
I have. Depression is a state of sadness that never goes away even when the situation dictates that you should be happy. Normal, is when your mood changes with the situation. You're unhappy when something bad happens and happy when something good happens. The rest of the time you should be content, not feeling either way. You're life is made up of a series of events or increments of time. Some of these periods will be happy, sad, mad, content etc. nobody should be any of these all the time. I've gone from depression to normal with medication. Cognitive Therapy, and a lot of hard work forcing myself to do things when I didn't want to and trying to look at things differently.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.