[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you know when to give up on a dream?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1437951239474.jpg (6KB, 250x203px) Image search: [Google]
1437951239474.jpg
6KB, 250x203px
How do you know when to give up on a dream?
>>
>>18425164

When it starts making your life hell and makes you miserable instead of giving you hope. What's your dream?
>>
>>18425169
making games.
>>
When you realize it isn't possible. Tell us your dream op and wiser people than you may be able to give you insight.
>>
>>18425164

when you've made the same thread twenty times and still dont seem to have the answer.

thats when you give up
>>
>>18425172

Why give up on it?
>>
>>18425183
because I'm not good enough and it will require years of study on diferent skills.

I've been trying to make since 2010 but I've failed.
>>
>>18425187

How have you failed? What does that mean?

Did you quit your job to make games and now you are poor or something?
>>
>>18425187

either tell us what it is or delete your thread
>>
>>18425192
>>18425193
because I'm not good enough, and I'm tired of making small crap nobody gives a fuck.

yeah, I make small 2D games, but for the average gamer why he should give a shit about me when he can pirate some AAA shit.

I simply can't compete, nor I longer want.

better focus on literature.
>>
>>18425201

if your dreams to make games and you already make games, then continue making and enjoying making games, even if only a hobby.

if the dream isn't worth it without being massively successful and rich then it wasn't really a dream to begin with, it was just greed.
>>
>>18425204
I'm not longer a teenager, I want to make money, leave my parents basement, get a girl, have a dog.

sometimes you realize you wasted all your best years on a stupid dream meanwhile you should have gone to a college and get a degree.
>>
>>18425201

If you want to give up, do it. Why ask us? This isn't Reddit, we are not gonna ask you to link us to your stuff and then tell you it's great.

If you like making games, do it. If you don't, stop.

The fact that you say "better focus on literature." seems to imply you want an easy way to become a famous creator or something. That's not how it works. But whatever. It's your time. Do with it as you please.
>>
>>18425212
what's the point of an advice board if not talk about problems?

don't you had some teenager dreams you not longer has?
>>
>>18425211

thats why i said hobby and not career. though it can be hard to balance a lot with it can you really say its a 'dream' if 'dog and gf' outrank it?

I've been living on my own running an office by day and making movies on the weekends for the last 6 years.

i do it because unlike your situation, filmmaking is actually my passion and what I Want to do, regardless of if i make money.

anyone pretending there isn't enough time to pursue passions after work is simply too entitled and lazy.
>>
Were you doing this solo or did you have a team?

Have you seen this documentary?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942884/
>>
>>18425212

Remember when I said:

>Did you quit your job to make games and now you are poor or something?

Well, it seems you didn't even try to begin with. Don't blame video games for your laziness. You are the one that didn't get education, a job and all those things.

Maybe get a job and keep your hobby, too? That's doable.
>>
>>18425213

>whats the point of the advice board

to get advice.

>don't you had some teenager dreams you no longer has?

please don't get into literature you would be awful at it. as for the question, its not really a dream if its outranked by 'i want a gf and dog' imo, its just a desire.

give up on it if you want. pursue it if you actually like making games. but you sound like someone trying to make it as a youtuber. you dont actually like what you do you just want recognition.
>>
>>18425213

The point is to GET advice. But you don't want advice.

If you tell me what you want to do, I'll give you advice on what to do.
>>
>>18425211

Misclicked earlier. This was for you.

Remember when I said:

>Did you quit your job to make games and now you are poor or something?

Well, it seems you didn't even try to begin with. Don't blame video games for your laziness. You are the one that didn't get education, a job and all those things.

Maybe get a job and keep your hobby, too? That's doable.
>>
>>18425215
>>18425221
I would like to keep it as a hobby, but I've made the mistake of focusing on it and forgetting to get a degree and a job.

Sometimes you wake up as a 28 year neet without a future, only with a stupid dream you deluded yourself with.

That hurts, you know.

>>18425222
>>18425229
I want to be an artists.
Being an artists is dificult unless you're on the top percent.

I was planning on going to college to get a degree, even if I fail, I'll still get a job (not american).
>>
>>18425234

yes it sucks, dont get me wrong you're allowed to be sad or disappointed, but your life is only going to get /better/ from here if you take the time to get a degree or find a job. making games might be something you do very sparingly for awhile, but once you have your job you can go back to making them on the side and enjoy your passion again
>>
>>18425234

Then a job and keep doing rt on your free time. Post your stuff online and hey, maybe it will become something some day.

But that's not an excuse to hide on your parent's basement. Become financially independent and then do with your free time whatever you want. And if you want to give up, do it, whatever. But having the dream doesn't stop you from getting a job.
>>
>>18425241
>>18425245
yeah, I guess that's the better plan.

but I still would like to focus on something else and maybe make small 2D shit for fun.
>>
>>18425250

thats fine too, but your dream isn't dying, you arent giving up on it, even if you shifted to something more simple, your dream is simply evolving. its the same basis, story telling in some way shape or form, and now its just taking on a new form. it sucked to learn you can't dedicate your whole day to it, and down the road you are going to have to choose what is more important: art or the traditional life style (marriage, kids etc) but until then your dream doesn't have to 'die'.

so please stop making this thread every week.
>>
>>18425254
yeah I guess so.

>every week
what?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.