[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fed ex vs UPS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1470626712420.png (395KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1470626712420.png
395KB, 420x420px
I am a college student looking for a part time job for summer and during school.

I applied to both UPS and fed ex and need to choose between the two. Both shift will be practically the same

4am-9am vs 3:15 am- 8am

I'll list the pros and cons for both jobs

Fed ex
>pays $11.60/hr
>tuition reimbursement $1,500 a year
>20 min drive
>weekly pay every Friday
I would love to get paid weekly instead of bi weekly.

UPS
>pays $11.00/hr
>tuition reimbursement $2,500 a SEMESTER
this is very important
>10 min drive
>bi weekly pay
>union takes money from check about $25

If any of you have personal experience with either company please tell me your thoughts on them. I worked at USPS for about a year and that place was fucking awful.
>>
Are you looking to take advantage of that reimbursement? If not, FED EX seems ideal since you get more money immediately
>>
>>18424782
Yes I would be using the tuition reimbursement. It basically comes down to getting paid a little more and weekly VS an extra 4k for school
>>
>>18424663
No experience with either, but uPS guys seem to be less soul sucked than FedEx guys.

I imagine that has to do with the fact that I feel like FedEx has more restrictions and seeming professionalism. Meanwhile you see videoed of UPS guys not giving a shit and chucking boxes Willy hilly what feels like every other day.
>>
>>18424799
Those guys you saw were most likely drivers right?

I applied to be a package handler so it will be pretty much the same at either warehouse ill just be loading trucks all day.
>>
>>18424663

From the info you gave, UPS.

More money for uni. Who cares if you get paid bi-weekly instead of weekly? If anything, it'll cause you to save up more instead of spending each paycheck, because you know if you use it all up, you're not getting more for a little while.

Shorter commute is a bonus. Long commutes are soul-suckers (not that 20 mins is that bad, but might as well save every minute). They kind of just take a chunk out of your day and sap energy without anything productive being done (either free time that personally fulfills you, or working and making $$$).

Even with the union dues, it seems like you're making more money with the uni reimbursement. Plus, it's good to be unionized. Management can fuck with you less.

UPS, dude.
>>
>>18424663
I'm working at UPS right now. What you described sounds like preload. What you pay the union should pay for itself with the tuition program. You should also be getting paid weekly, at least we do here in Texas, but it may very on location I suppose.
You'll either be loading trucks or working in the sorting. Sorting is pretty brain dead, you pick the packages up and put them on the belt they go on. I prefer loading the trucks, you get to hang out and shoot the shit with all the guys around you on the line. For the first week they'll probably have you working in a few different areas before you get set in a permanent spot. If you end up loading your supervisor will probably start you on 2 or 3 different trucks every day. Eventually you get to be on the same 3 trucks so you get to know your drivers and how they like their truck loaded.
The start time changes based on how much volume the warehouse gets in on that day, but you should never be in earlier than 3am until the holidays get near. That being said in November and December you'll probably end up working 12-9, but anything more than 5 hours in a single shift is considered overtime at x1.5 pay, plus driver assistant positions become available if you want even more money.
The work itself is all heavy lifting for 5 hours in a warehouse with no a/c, so bring water. They'll send cold water and other cold beverages down the belts for people to grab occasionally, but I would still suggest bringing your own because you'll get thirsty fast. The people you work with can make the job enjoyable though with banter all morning, and everyone gets break at the same time so you can hang out and shoot the shit.
I can't say anything about FedEx, but I would assume that it's mostly the same.
>>
>>18424910
>>18424955
thank you for the insight. UPS seems to be the right choice so far. I hope that extra 60 cents won't make to much of a difference.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.