[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tl;dr I need opinions on what I should do about my sick cat.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

tl;dr I need opinions on what I should do about my sick cat.
>cat is 13 years old (normal lifespan is about 16 years)
>Love this creature above all else in the world
>He started acting strange a few days ago so we took him to the vet.
>We don't have insurance so they can't do a full check and don't find anything
>He has pains in his chest and a fever
>They put him in for liquid and painkillers for 2 days.
>Costs us about 600 usd.
>We take him home, he hasn't eaten or drunk anything in about 48 hours, lies in one place all the time, he peed himself earlier.
>Asked the vet, they just say they don't know, he might have an infection he might be able to recover from, he might have a tumor he will die from within days.
>Full check costs over 1000 usd + additional treatment after that

Here's the thing that makes it hard, the whole family is going abroad on saturday for 2 weeks. I tried to change the tickets so that I would leave later on but there isn't any more available the coming week, also if I don't check in on my outgoing flight my home flight is invalid for some reason. The reason I mention money is because it comes down to my mom to pay and she has refused, I think she is tired of the ordeal and doesn't think it is worth it considering he might pass away in a few months.
My aunt was supposed to come up and feed him while we were away. I suggested that we could ask her to look over him the following days, and if he doesn't show any signs of recovery, let him go. But we would have to put that responsibility on my aunt and it's a hard one to bare and inconsiderate to ask.

>We have an appointment tomorrow at 11 am. Last appointment before we leave.
What do I do?
>>
Ask yourself this; can your heart take it if you learn that she dies alone while you're enjoying your vacation?

Actually I don't think you can peacefully enjoy your vacation at all, you'll be worrying about her for the entire trip...
>>
>>18422163
Pets often die while the owner is on vacation .
>>
>>18422163
Let me tell you this, m8. I was in a similar position, watching my cat waste away, about the same age. I spent hundreds on top of hundreds of dollars and the vet never did a fucking thing. In hindsight, I should have kept her home and loved her instead of letting them mandhandle her and xray her, and do all that shit to her that she hated just so she could live in pain another extra few days.

Fuck that shit. I'm not saying the vet isn't necessary. Her daughter had cancer, and surgery added years to her life, but in some cases, the vet is a literal money sink, taking advantage of your feelings to do every imaginable test under the sun, when the cat is just too old and wore out, like an old person, just enjoying the time they have left, you know?
>>
>>18422188
I don't think I would be able to enjoy it either ways, it's already quite a terrible situation I feel. But me staying home doesn't seem very constructive either. I don't have a car, and would not be able to take him to the vet if the time came to that. I might end up watching him die slow and painful, while sitting the reminder of the vacation home alone to mourn him
>>
>>18422225
Thanks for the input. I guess you're right. He is old, I kept thinking ''he isn't THAT old'' and that he could still have years left, but what do I know, I might just be dragging out the inevitable causing him a lot of pain. Maybe it's just his time to go
>>
>>18422244
Even with humans, there's a point where home hospice is the only option left. If he's in pain, they have topical buprenorphine ointments and all kinds of different options to keep them comfortable. The stuff is addictive, but when my cat was dying of cancer after multiple surgeries and it was just too far gone, the vet said it didn't matter if she got addicted because she wouldn't live for more than a few months, and it helps with the pain.

Anyway every case is different. I'm loathe to give you the wrong advise, and it's you who will have to live with whatever decision you make.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.