[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Job Dilemma

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1474134279059.png (419KB, 802x802px) Image search: [Google]
1474134279059.png
419KB, 802x802px
I'm in a massive dilemma. I have two great job opportunities and I need to decide between them.

On the one hand is my current job: its research at a top university (and i mean literally top) in something related to my degree but slightly softer. Whilst the work is fairly dull, if i stikc at it I may get the opportunity to pursue a PhD in a discipline slightly softer than the one i actually studied (I studied Economics, but the PhD would be geography). Essentially the major core benefit would be having the name of the university + the words phd on my cv, because it provides a passport for many highly-skilled positions. Although you might think it a meme, many friends with PhDs have told me that this is unfortunately the case.

The job I have just been offered and I'm about to ditch my current job for: Government economist role, 2 years as a junior, then you become a mid-level economist in the government and get paid fairly handsomely for my age. There is also opportunities to undertake a second masters and then use that as a way to get into a PhD (albeit in all likelihood at a lesser university). Alternatively the opportunities of being poached by the private sector are also quite high and the pay is theoretically even more handsome.

Whilst the latter seems like a comfier route which gives me more choice and experience. My current trajectory seems like a catapult to success, because in almost all of my career trajectories I can only imagine a PhD from a top university would be helpful to reaching the more interesting opportunities and top careers.
>>
>>18421793
take the first one. sounds like you want to go for the highest goal possible. so take the path that gets you to the highest goal.
>>
>>18421799
I'm erring on this.
I literalyl told my boss I would be leaving and now I'm going to go to him tomorrow with a changed mind inquiring about how I can make a future out of this job.

I feel as thoguh I can come back to the government job should i so please. But I may never be in this position again.
>>
>>18421810
>Literalyl
> thoguh
Might wanna master the English language first before dreaming of a PhD you fucking neophyte.
>>
>>18421799
but on the other hand.

its an economics PhD that takes you to the top of the positions I'm referring to. Not necessarily a geography PhD (though there will still be opportunities because of the brand, they might be slightly fewer than i originally conceived).

The government route also seems a lot easier and smoother, and I'm not even fully committed to the idea of doing a 4 year Phd ;_;

I really don't know what to do
>>
you'll be happier if you go for the higher goal. if you settle for less, you'll never feel fulfilled. better to try for the best possible outcome.
>>
>>18422397
option 1 is your real goal.
option 2 is what's easy and convenient and "good enough."

but "good enough" is not good enough. never settle for less. never take the hand-me-downs. never take your eye off your highest goal. NEVER.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.