[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My advice to you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Never continue working for a company that expects more from you than you think is sustainable long term.

>structural engineering
>expect 60 hour weeks, evenings and weekends
>profession, so no overtime pay
>work you to the bone to arbitrary targets
>someone quits
>refuse to hire anyone else because lmao better for targets
>engineers complain
>put out shit work
>i send a formal complaint about my workload and by extension the teams workload
>managing 10+ construction projects with only 3 years of experience
>nothing is done
>warn of threat to life safety and financial concequence if nothing is done (claims for delay etc. )
>i quit
>claims from developers begin rolling in
>Still on my notice period
>I get reprimanded for not doing enough work and managing shit properly

Remember to always formally voice your concerns before it gets too late. Remember to quit if you're not listened to.
>>
>>18420298
>>>warn of threat to life safety and financial
Are you in the US? If so, lawyer up or go to the EEOC. The reprimand may be considered retaliation for filing a safety complaint. That's a big no no by the company.
>>
>>18420326
Not the US. But ill see if there are any other laws in my country.

Thanks.

This was just a warning to anyone considering a career with responsibilities in engineering or design.

Shit needs to be taken seriously, or people die.
>>
>>18420389
I wish more people were as responsible as you anon. The big bosses think that they dont need employees. They are wrong. Without them they are super fucked. Too bad many people lack the courage and rather take the falling shit.
>>
>>18420399
I took it for a long time because I. Didn't know any better.

I was fresh out of graduation and eager to work.

I've come to realise that working 60h weeks isn't a thing to brag about. Its something to be ashamed of if you're not being paid to do it.

That, and productivity is irrelevant in an industry where a lack of quality can cause things to collapse.

From a personal perspective, if I'm on a construction site, tired and barely functional - theres a higher chance that i will simply end up getting crushed or impaling myself on rebar.
>>
Holy fucking shit. I work for us gov in the military as an EE and this shit right here is scary.

Even though I'm salaried I get overtime and workload is light. Get to travel too. Anon you can do better than this shit. Your boss is a greedy cunt.
>>
>>18420298
Best threads in adv are always jobs related.
>>
>>18420445
Any military training?

Or just am ee background?
>>
>>18420298

Thanks for sharing dude. This isn't pertinent to me but I wish someone told me this a year ago. Have been stuck in a dead end job for way too long and I'm finally moving past it.
>>
>>18422476
No problem.

If i can help a single person, that's the aim of this thread.

I literally never come to adv, but i know A lot of you guys are often too scared to say things.

Sometimes its essential that you say something, you'd rather be fired than sued for manslaughter.
>>
>>18420526
No training. I work as a civilian. Just need clean record to gain clearance and a degree in EE. They're paying for my masters too.
>>
>>18423709
Ah I see.

I graduated with a masters in engineering when I was 21 - a little earlier than most.

When I first started i was in a similar position to you. Be careful. Once you get that masters, whoever your work for in the private sector will be up your arsehole with a stick, trying to make you cut corners.

Not sure how the military works, but good luck.

My dad was an EE and taught me when i was younger, but these days i can barely remember how to even use thevenin or any of maxwells equations..... Feels bad man.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.