[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I deal with a SAP appeal?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

How do I deal with a SAP appeal?
>>
Well, what have you got so far? You'll need to convince the advisory board that not only are you no longer in what I can only assume to be academic decline, but that you are in a place to steadily improve yourself and your grades. Why did you fall below the SAP standards in the first place? What's changed?
>>
>>18419448
I was juggling between two schools, one I have finished completely and graduated, and I transferred all relevant credits to school 2, which I only had a handful of courses , but that and driving to and from both schools burned me out so I withdrew a semester, but one professor gave me an F which killed my GPA, with such few courses in school 2. The situation is totally changed and I'm already signed for retaking that course, in one school, which is now nearby.

I didn't expect coming into this term with that grade, nor the SAP, so I'm trying to make a case that there isn't a decline, as that implies a downward trend, but more of an isolated case, that can and will be easily remedied practically immediately in the coming term. I just, this is coming inbetween that remedy, that financial aid was supposed to cover that grade,which is the real problem here, as that needs fixing for any and all schools I'd like to transfer to. Everyone I've spoken to agrees, it was one course, my record is otherwise spotless.
>>
>>18419469

Explain in your appeal precisely what you stated here, fleshing it out with the relevant details that will illuminate the nuances of your situation to whoever will review your submission. That you were not in "decline" but had a hiccup or two sounds compelling to me. Most people can probably relate to the strain of being spread too thin -- express how the distance and differences between the two schools wore you down, but emphasize that that situation, and its academic consequences, has passed.

You should elaborate on HOW you will remedy the circumstances of your "isolated case", WHAT said remedy will look like, and WHEN you will do it. Concrete terms are vital to your credibility.

Bring things back to your history, too: you have a consistently good record? GREAT. That's a huge boon. Point to it. Prove that you have not strayed away from it, despite a misstep or two.

I say you ought to speak frankly and plainly, though do not be flagrant or plaintive. Speak your case, and show that your enthusiasm has not dipped despite the headaches caused by this whole process. Demonstrate that you are still a firm-willed and diligent student -- or, at least, that you have the capacity and inclination to be one.

Is there any way you could speak with the F-giving professor and tide things over? Maybe get them to write something that would allay how hard the F hit you? You could mention that you are retaking the course they taught -- might hit a soft spot if y'all were on good enough terms.

Don't be afraid to mention any extenuating circumstances (e.g. family strife, medical issues) that may have factored into things. But DO NOT play the pity card. If you are moping and whining, you are obviously not sufficiently emotionally beyond wherever you were from which stemmed your difficulties.
>>
>>18419469

That's all I've got for now.

I'm in the process of concocting my own SAP appeal (and transfer applications to in-state schools in the likely event that my appeal is rejected). I declined HARD over the course of three semesters, and my GPA tanked by somewhere over 1.1 due to a combination of factors, most notably: my family's rapid descent into illness and poverty; a natural disaster and domestic decay back at home; a dangerous mental health mis-diagnosis; a general lack of discipline (probably the biggest contributor); and the consequential isolation that I allowed to develop within and around me. Regardless of when I noticed, I didn't pull myself out until it was far too late.

But I prattle, and that doesn't sound like your situation, does it?

Honestly, it sounds like you have a good case. It also seems that you believe that you have a good case. Channel that, and don't put your eggs all in one basket, but be hopeful. Reaffirm what you know: that you, and those around you -- those in your school, county, state, and country -- will benefit from you returning to and finishing school. Ergo, your studies ought to be funded.

I'm going grocery shopping. Good luck, Anon. Be confident. You'll get it.
>>
>>18419590
Glad I caught this before I went to sleep.
>compelling
I did not even know what a SAP was, nor was I worried about it, until financial aid told me all aid was suspended. That is how instantaneous that grade's damage was. I really hope they understand.

I was told to provide documents, so I was reviewing my transcripts to prove I was going to both schools at once and to argue that the second school was to take initiative with my academics.

>Concrete terms
>speak frankly, though do not be flagrant or plaintive
Understood, they want as many facts as possible and for me to have specific goals, as specific as possible

>Is there any way you could speak with the F-giving professor and tide things over?
I sincerely doubt it, and I've made sure the course was with someone else. I wouldn't even know what to say. I doubt they would even remember me, and it's far too late for the grade to be changed, so as far as financial aid is concerned, the GPA is what it is. I strongly believe that's a lost cause. I haven't even considered it and the more I think about it, the more I feel that it's unlikely they'll write anything. Perhaps if I repeat this and ask if they would vouch for my eagerness, but wow that's a longshot, almost dependent on their mood during that day.

>DO NOT play the pity card
Lol, noted. I'm WAY more surprised at this than sad, like I said, the grade itself needs to go away, that was really the priority besides mere credit hours. If understanding correctly, then I'm on the right track, just need to polish it in a tone that makes me seem rooted as opposed to frantic.

Alright this made me feel a lot less stressed, especially with the attention to detail being an advantage. With all the mentions of documents, I was feeling as if only hospitalizations or imprisonment were seriously considered.
>>
>>18419626
Lol nonono no I made this thread because I thought I was doomed. This was one of many issues and it went from oddity to being the biggest. If I sound confident, it's only because you and others reaffirmed my belief that my case revolves around one error, and if I have to admit that error was my fault and that I can fix it, I'll take a slice of that humble pie. I can only hope they see it your way.

This might be a case of greener grass, but yours sounds more solid, you have several angles you can go for. If I could be stretched thin by going to school, you had much more responsibilities and events. I'd get those diagnosis records ASAP, I still think the medical records are probably the strongest as that's immediately mentioned as one of the first examples for documents. I wish you luck on yours, and thanks for replying. I've a Kik if you want to be SAPbuddies, we can cry together if we get denied.
>>
>>18419766
>>18419703

Oh yeah, the grass is certainly greener... I'd trade situations with you in a heartbeat. I fear that, while all the various angles I could take in my appeal are genuine, I fear I will not be able to concisely explain how these factors happened and hit at the same time, building upon one another in a debilitating synergy. At least, not in a convincing way. I need to somehow work them in as a PART of my applications instead of being the BASE of my applications. Easier said than done.

Don't discount the chance, however slim, that your old professor(s) might be willing to help. They might not have a crystal-clear recollection of their time with you, but what's the harm in shooting them an email, or giving them a call, in the hopes of jogging their memory? I think it would be worth a shot. What have you got to lose?

If you're coordinating documents, I'd say you are in great shape. You're thinking ahead of me! Take those docs and use them to construct some argumentative framework around what you believe is/was true, prioritizing anything that can be concretely corroborated. Definitely take a knee and be humble if you are willing, and own up to whatever you think can rightly and reasonably be attributed to you or things that you were responsible for. From what I've experienced, bureaucracies appreciate honesty and humility... Just be real with them, without sacrificing professionality. They are made of people, after all, complete with empathy, respect, and soft spots.

Thanks for having the courage to post about this subject. I've been working through readmission for just over a year, and I haven't met a single person undergoing (or understanding of) this kind of clusterfuck. It's a huge blow to the confidence, but talking about it helps. Thank you, Anon.

AND: I made a kik just for this. "mtfbk".
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.