[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm having an existential crisis.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: large (8).jpg (38KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
large (8).jpg
38KB, 500x332px
I'm not depressed, I'm just very confused about what is even the point of my life. Every human action is (supposedly) inspired by a desire of moving away from discomfort and towards pleasure and happiness. BUT if you don't know what the source of your happiness is, then, why are you even moving? Dont have suicidal thoughts though, I'm just assuming eventually i will be "enlightened", but for now this is completely destroying my productivity since i don't find any reason to even read a book or go for a walk. I guess what i'm trying to say is, you can't just exist for the sake of it, you need a motivator, and i can't find it.
>>
You won't know what you enjoy until you try it, so avoiding doing things because you aren't motivated means you'll never find your "true source of happiness". You CAN just exist for the sake of it, but it's a miserable existence for most because it's extremely unfulfilling and you feel like a burden on society (because in most cases you are).
>>
>>18418145
Pleasurable things have lost salience, simple as that, I would look up anhedonia. I think understanding you can't reason yourself into feel like things have value is a good place to start, then going ahead and finding ways to put yourself into a place where you're more likely to feel said pleasure (by exercising, meditating, just find what works for you).
>>
I don't have a motivator, I don't have purpose in my life, I just do shit.

Food tastes good so I eat it, sex is fun so I have sex. Just do shit you enjoiy.

Also what's this bullshit
>Every human action is (supposedly) inspired by a desire of moving away from discomfort and towards pleasure and happiness
Nah mate, inspired by animal brains. Shit's not even vaguely rational, let alone able to be characterised that easily.
>>
>>18418145
I'm not sure you can say we want to move away from discomfort, some people discomfort and get a sort of pleasure from it. Also, if you could tap into your brain and make it so you were happy all the time, would you do it? For me that would defeat the whole purpose of life. I think your feelings stem more from physiological and emotional circumstances rather than trying to logically work out stuff. If you are a good person, live healthily and don't overwork yourself then you should become happy. Also don't take meds, they are a scam.
>>
File: Full of Eyes Christ dream.jpg (226KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Full of Eyes Christ dream.jpg
226KB, 1200x1200px
>>18418145

>you can't just exist for the sake of it, you need a motivator, and i can't find it.

Read "The courage to be" by Paul Tillich & "The concept of Anxiety" by Kierkegaard. I am serious.

As well once try Hesychasm Meditation and Eucharistic adoration, at best at the same time.

It is anti intellectual af (the later paragraph - the books are fine) but it really gives you that connection you long for if ya connect.

Be blessed mah boy. Hope you find the unconditional (Tillich).

Out.
>>
>>18418145
>I guess what i'm trying to say is, you can't just exist for the sake of it, you need a motivator, and i can't find it.

Just do something, anon. Anything. Pick it and do it. That's the secret. I'm not joking, you will be insanely surprised at how this can affect your mood. The secret is doing things that are productive that you actually WANT to do. Even if it's just 1 minute a day. Even if it's the most insignificant thing in the world. Even if it's picking up that sock on the floor that's bothering you that you don't want to bother picking up. NOT KIDDING. Just do something! It will help you figure out what motivates you.
>>
>>18419471
this nigga
>>
>>18419471

This is basically right, but he's ignorant to write off what OP said as "bullshit." Neither are wrong.
>>
>>18419471
That quote is not even my opinion, that's from Sigmund Freud
>>
Heyyyyy, i know the bitch in the picture lol
>>
>>18418145
Welcome to the complexities of higher thought. The truth is, none of that shit matters. Just forget about it
>>
>>18418145
You're a bit confused OP

>Every human action is (supposedly) inspired by a desire of moving away from discomfort
true

>and towards pleasure and happiness.
not true
>>
>>18420732
In that case it makes sense why people can stay in the comfort zone, except in that case the discomfort comes in the future and is hard to see which is why it's hard to stay motivated when you are in the comfort zone right?
How do people stay motivated? Does everyone go through an existential crisis at some point? I know this sounds arrogant but I feel like a lot of people don't ever stop to think or care about any purpose they have or about what's the point, but maybe it's even better to live that way.
>>
File: maslow-pyramid.jpg (26KB, 502x369px) Image search: [Google]
maslow-pyramid.jpg
26KB, 502x369px
This is a normal way of thinking for a young person.

Usually after high school or sometimes during high school you find that you were doing just what you were told, then as you enter college and get more freedom you realize that you are the one in charge of your life.

At that point young people are usually encouraged to travel or just experience new things to better understand what they do or do not like.

As a reference point to in general what people like refer to the attached image Maslow's heirarchy of needs.
>>
>>18418145
You have two options:
1) Being so busy with your life (job, studying, hobbies, romance, etc.) that you don't have to time to think about the purpose of everything
2) Become religious

That's it, there's no other solution. Thousands of years of philosophy have failed to come to any concrete conclusion about it. The question is beyond the scope of science. Best we can do at this point is have faith that it'll somehow make sense once we're dead.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.