[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

recovering from social anxiety

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Fragonard,_The_Swing.jpg (886KB, 1663x2132px) Image search: [Google]
Fragonard,_The_Swing.jpg
886KB, 1663x2132px
I have social anxiety.
I thought I had learned to deal with it, because I'm pretty functional.
I'm super lonely tho
AND
I suppose this is because: if I don't have to, I tend to avoid all the little socializing activities like small talk etc. with other people on a daily basis.

I was able to force myself to go to the barber, force myself to enroll in college etc. But I'm not able to "force" myself to have a situational chit chat with others. Because it's not something I can plan ahead. And it's not something that has a definite result or can be "achieved".
How do I tackle this?

Anyone on here who recovered from social anxiety and has a few tips for me?
I truly believe I'm actually a very social person. It's just my anxiety prevents me from being social with people I don't know very well.
>>
>>18417723
I can relate since I've been through similar experiences like you.

I don't know if I really recovered, but I'm definitely in a better state than 2 years ago. Here's what I did so far to combat the anxieties:
- read self improvement books
- watch self improvement youtube videos
- forcing myself to go out into social activities
- get depressed when things not going as I'd like to
- sulking around for abit, but then realize sulking and standing will not going anywhere
- gradually try to not care if things not going as my "plan" or things, try to apply materials from self improvement blogs/videos to cover it
- rinse and repeat
>>
>>18417749
can you recommend any specific videos or books?

honestly, I think I have a fairly good grip of my social anxiety when it comes to all the big things. I also go to social events like parties or even to clubs.

However, I notice that while other people are there and making connections and getting to know each other, I'm hardly making new acquaintances. Even if I force myself to attend a party, I can not bring myself to be very social while AT the party. Not because I don't like being with other people but because my mind always blanks out and I don't know what to say.

It's not that bad that I would be the creepy dude sitting on his own in the corner of the room. BUT it's usually not too far from that, either. I'm able to hold a conversation or a quick 1-2minutes smalltalk session with a stranger. But I'm not able to initiate it and that's a massive problem
>>
>>18417764
That really sounds like me a year ago when I was in the early stage of trying to recover.

I think these books could help you a bit, have you tried:
1. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
I know it's stereotypical, but this book if I could say, will teach you in broad ways on how to do pleasantries while building a good rapport with people. When I blanks out and getting cold feet in party or gathering, advice from this book helps me.

2. Art of Sedution by Robert Greene
You might think this is mainly about pick up artists style seduction with women, but if you read it, it covers a lot about how to seduce lots of different kind of people, man and women along with historical examples and how to. Seduction after all is a part on nurturing a relationship friendly or sexual.

For blogs, this one http://www.inoveryourhead.net/2011/04/25/the-complete-guide-to-not-giving-a-fuck/ is the one that really jumpstart my journey to self-improvement.
For videos, not trying to promote it but youtube channel illacertus has lots of animated summaries of self-improvement book, you might want to check it.
>>
>>18417834
thanks! currently reading that blog.
seems to written by a smart guy. however, I'm not sure whether reading more and more will make my situation any better. I think I need to take action. somehow- I just don't know how or what action to take.

what did you actually do to overcome your anxiety? (aside from reading I mean)
>>
>>18417897
Well I always try to attend any social gathering with my friends, to new places, forcing myself to join communites of my interests and being social. Reading really gave me a lot of revelations, inspirations, and snap me back to my feet when I blanked out in social situations.

Aside from that I also practice meditation in the morning and eating clean.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.