[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I cope with long hours?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (25KB, 620x330px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 620x330px
I got a seasonal job inspecting crops after being picked.
During my training, my supervisor keeps talking about extremely long hours and would use the example of 8am-2am and then back to work at 8am.
I asked one employee who had worked there for several years how common that was and he said 8am-2am is rare but shifts like 8am-11pm is more common.

There's obviously breaks throughout but it's still overwhelming.
I don't want to sacrifice my sanity working 12-16 hours 7 days a week.

Is my only solution to quit before I get to far into it?
>>
>>18415892
I worked a factory job like that and after about 2 months the ligaments in my knee fucked up from standing and doing repetitive motions to much. I wasn't past the 6 month trial period yet and was only through a temp agency so they fired me and I had to pay all my dr bills myself even tho it was a work related injury
>>
>>18415892
How much do you get paid? And is there no other jobs you can get?
>>
I did 12 hour days (plus driving time) every other week for an IT group for $15/hr at one point and it trashed everything in my life. I couldn't imagine physical hell on top of that.
>>
>>18415892
I've done that before while working in the investments industry but the money was better than essentially any other job so it was worth it. I wouldn't want to do it if I weren't making mid six figures though. It's too easy to get isolated over time and it really reduces quality of life, so it needs to be worthwhile to justify it.
>>
>>18415909
$12/hr, $20/hr overtime
I was told I'd have a lot of overtime.
I'm 19 so it's probably the highest paying job I can get in my area.
>>
I think it depends on the person and their choice of lifestyle. Keyword here is seasonal.Might be a nice gig assuming you don't work much during the late fall and winter. Get all the work in during a single season or two and take a really long break after. Maybe save up for a month long vacation somewhere nice, if it's not financially irresponsible for you to do so.

Might want to give it a shot. If you don't hate the job you might find the string of hours cathartic, gives you something to do and feel proud of when your head hits the pillow. If not you can always work towards something else.
>>
>>18415939
I'm on break from college right now so I have plenty of time on my hands but I don't know if I'm willing to give it all up for this.
If the hours they said were as common as they made it sound, I'll barely have enough time to get enough sleep.
I also feel like I'm too young to give up my ENTIRE summer, I've got friend going into the military that I may not get a chance to see again because of these hours.
>>18415967
It's only for the summer, I have to go back to uni in late august.
My main concern is the mental stress of it all.
I've worked long, boring hours in retail while in high school that were a pain in the ass but it wasn't anywhere close to this.
I can't imagine being happy sleeping and working with nothing in between.
>>
>>18415953
Where do you live? Like is that a lot for your area? Where I live that's only a few dollars over minimum
>>
>>18415982
Minimum here is $7.25. Most places won't hire teenagers with no experience for more than $10.
>>
>>18415988
Yah that sounds reasonable then, minimum where I am is almost $10. I still don't know that it's worth it but I had a really bad experience and might be a bit busiest against jobs like that
>>
>>18415892
My last full time gig was a production assistant on film sets which is on average 15 hours 5 days a week. Fridays can are sometimes called "fraturdays" as a shift can be as long as 24 hours. Starting times are usually early as 5-6am but can be 8pm depending if all of the shots are during night time.

I'd say just tough it out and do it. You're young and the work experience will be great for you and your resume. After the gig you'll have a nest egg saved up for a rainy day and you'll laugh at the people complaining that they worked more than 8 hours their last shift.

Some of my friends tree plant and they just save up all of their money and take a couple months off to do what they want.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.