[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me /adv/ My dad is an alcoholic and I feel that it might

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1451756195672.jpg (21KB, 579x760px) Image search: [Google]
1451756195672.jpg
21KB, 579x760px
Help me /adv/
My dad is an alcoholic and I feel that it might be my fault.
My dad is a very reserved person, he never talks about his feelings or anything at all, he just likes sports and other "manly" stuff. Me, being an introverted person, never really got into sports and stuff like that, I just play videogames/lift all the time (he has always hated my hobbies). He's the owner of a very successful timberyard so he has control over everything there, the thing is, he stays there drinking and hanging out with his employees/friends. And it's ok it would be acceptable if he did it only on weekends and shit, but he's doing it almost every day, to the point in which he's not even coming home anymore. Today I tried to have a conversation with him through the phone but he was very drunk and just kept babbling nonsense, but I did understand something, and it was that we (my mom and I) never appreciated his hard work. And it's true, I never really showed him how grateful I am, maybe because he's also a very closed person and he only talks about it when hes drunk. But I just can't open myself to him, because when he's sober he acts as if everything was okay.

How can I help him stop drinking?
>>
the only person responsible for your dad's alcoholism is your dad desu
>>
I am a drug addict bro and its your dads decision to quit. What i would do is just show him unconditional love man. My dad was an abusive alcoholic who beat me so badly that i have ptsd. Hes dead and i miss him, i wish so badly i could go back in time and just let him know that even though i hated his alcoholism i loved him, and that he is not jis alcoholism and that he can overcome it because i believe in him. You said your dad liked sports? Get him something related to his favorite team and tell him you really appreciate how hard he works for you, and that you love him.

I will say this, as an addict: we hate hearing about how badly our addiction is ruining things, it drives most of us to use more because almost anyone who is an addict is masking a more serious emotion or problem. The reason AA works is because theres not a lot of shaming, most ppl will just tell you what they did to get clean and tell you how they struggle.
>>
I sympathize very much with you, op.

Alcoholics won't stop because someone asks them to, or even begs them too. It doesn't work. They need to want to stop. And drinking exaggerates depression, so he's probably not as upset as you think.

It's not your fault, or your responsibility to fix him. You can be there for him, and be honest and open with him, but the hole he's in is his own doing, and you shouldn't go down with him.
>>
all alcoholics always seem to talk crap. They go dwell on negative things 'oh you never appreciated such and such' 'oh your mum took the house off me etc' - i get the same crap from my dad. BUT drinking has poisoned their minds. If they were real men they'd quit drinking, and solve problems in life rather than being a couple of loosers
>>
>>18413410
I'm really sorry for that anon, also
>Get him something related to his favorite team
He really dislikes gifts for whatever reason, I tried to get him a nice watch for his birthday but days before he asked for no gifts.

>>18413388
>>18413411
>>18413418
So I can't help him? I feel so shitty because its ruining his marriage and my mom often calls me and cries a lot.
Maybe just leave him alone for a while?
>>
>>18413383
First - it is absolutely 100% NOT your fault.

The jury is still out on whether alcoholism is a physical disease, in which case it was in his genes before he was born, or a psychological one, in which case its roots are in his childhood.

In NO case does any late-in-life experience make someone alcoholic unless they were predisposed to it from the start.

Second "Nobody appreciates me" is the national anthem and universal mantra of alcoholics. It doesn't have to have any basis in reality for the drunk to invoke it, to deflect his guilt and disappointment in himself onto others.

What can you do? I suggest contacting Al-Anon, the organization for families of alcoholics, for more expert advice than you'll get here.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.