[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Becoming a Vagrant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

The idea of slaving away for 40 hours a week and having a structured life and permanent residence stresses me the fuck out. I'm 19 and was supposed to be moving to a different city to start my life, but I want to be a wanderer instead.

Here are some hang-ups:
>female
>very small (couldn't defend myself on my own)
>can't get a gun to defend myself because I'd probably use it on myself one day
>will have a large, young, active dog with me
>don't know how to get money, other than temp work (spooky) or music and I don't know think my music will ever be good enough to live even a meager existence off of.

How bad of an idea is it to become a vagrant? How can I make it work? Even if it's just for a couple of years.
>>
>how can I make it work?

You can't. You have to live life on life's terms.
>>
>>18412799
Homeless women have an astronomically high likelihood of becoming victims of sexual violence.

Look, I know that it all sounds wonderful and dreamy and romantic, but it's not going to end well. My advice is to be a school teacher, no 40 hour work weeks and a long summer off. Just a thought.
>>
File: 1489732992340.jpg (125KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1489732992340.jpg
125KB, 752x1063px
>>18412799
I felt the same way at your age. I'm 23 now, I focused on what I'm good at and am building skills around that. I may be able to give some financial advice on how to make it happen, but I want to know what makes you so sure that this is what you want. What other paths do you potentially have. What are you good at? What do you like to do?
>>
>>18412813
>Homeless women have an astronomically high likelihood of becoming victims of sexual violence.

God, yes, this. As soon as a girl realises they can get by with whatever sexual favours they're willing to accept, it goes downhill pretty quickly IME
>>
>>18412799
>female

yeah, for your own safety do NOT do this.
>>
>>18412799
What the fuck is wrong with temping?
>>
>>18412799
Your dog will be killed for food and you will be used as a sex slave until you die or kill yourself.
>>
>>18412799

Go join a commune or something. Or a group of people to go street perform with. The people telling you not to may be concerned for your safety, but living a life you aren't happy with, or feel trapped in, is not worth trading for safety. Happiness is worth risking your life for.

But if you're anything like me, you're not going to go through with it because it's scary and hard. But the hippie dream is alive and well, there are plenty of ways to live that life and lots of people do. I encourage you to do it, because if you want actual freedom like that, you need the push.
>>
Donate plasma, idfk, that's what I would/will do along with odd jobs/street performing. Living somewhere warm with stuff to do and likeminded people would be amazing, even if you're kind of poor. But you'd living how you like.

Granted, I'm like a 6'2" guy. I'm waiting to fix my motorcycle and going to the west coast to do this. I'm only worried about getting robbed for my guitar.
>>
>>18412799
Being a homeless woman, like everyone has said, would be a bad idea. I wouldn't want my daughter doing it. The commune idea is a good one or even trying to find work on a hippie type farm. If you could get van and park it at a relative's house that might work too, just travel around visiting with family, working temp jobs along the way.
>>
>>18412809
That sounds miserable. I don't know that I could respect myself if I didn't at least try to explore my options.

>>18412813
>Look, I know that it all sounds wonderful and dreamy and romantic, but it's not going to end well.
I know it's going to be rough living, but at this time, I think it's the lesser of the two evils.

>>18412816
>What are you good at? What do you like to do?
I like music and social sciences (largely history and politics).

If it wasn't obvious by the OP, I also like to travel. I considered long distance trucking, but trucker school is apparently horrid, and they'll often have students ride along with another trucker for a week or something before they give them their license.

I don't even really like urban travel or whatever. Just being on the road in rural America is enjoyable to me.

>>18412831
I'd never do sex work, and I don't have casual sex, either.

>>18412869
>What the fuck is wrong with temping?
It's sketchy. Remember that I can't put up a fight.

>>18412887
I'm obviously still thinking this through so I can't say anything substantive, but I appreciate this post.

>>18412896
>Donate plasma
You have to weigh 110 lbs. to donate. I used to weigh that much on my old anti-depressant and hated it.

Good luck, though.
>>
>>18412941
With your interest in social sciences, I would think saving up some money and become a teaching overseas in Korea, Japan, or even China would be a great idea. Get your TEFL certification which is cheap, and do your research online for advice on how to go about the process. These countries are always looking, and may even pay for your apartment and offer good pay. You'll be able to save, live somewhere interesting, and if you decide to move on you'll have good experience for the future and some cash for School or whatever else you come across.
>>
Where are you from? It really depends.
>>
>>18412941
>I'd never do sex work, and I don't have casual sex, either.

in cases of desperation, people will lower their standards faster than they can set them.
>>
>>18412799

honestly good luck with that. its an incredibly exhausting and dirty lifestyle. additionally nobody really wants to date or be friends with a homeless person. my best advice would be to suck it up and get an apartment.
>>
>>18412799
My mom was homeless and she stayed in vacant houses and homeless shelters. Also slept on the streets.
But she always had a buddy in the vacant houses. Get yourself a buddy and giant doggo.
If you have a car live in it.
Also have a sleeping bag with you.
Honestly tho wouldn't recommend it. Depending on where you live it can get real bad.
>>
>>18412941
>temping is sketchy
Okay honey. I guess you're too good to run my mailroom for a week while my office girl is on vacation with her kids. Good luck on the road.
>>
File: RedPill_hand.jpg (15KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
RedPill_hand.jpg
15KB, 520x390px
>>18412941
> What the fuck is wrong with temping?
> It's sketchy.
I tempted for a year packing boxes for Amazon.com. I never got in a fight. I was hired on too.

Look, nobody is going to pay your bills. You're 19. Get a fucking job. Or fuck a rich guy, I don't care.

Btw, communes still charge rent. The one I know requires training classes so you can handle the communist lifestyle ($800). They aren't just homeless shelters for the lazy.

Time to grow up.
>>
>>18414436

Corporate shill. Misinformation. Growing up would be finding freelance work and doing what you want to live this life instead of listen to you, a faggot, who thinks there's only one way to live; wage slaving for 40 years because it's the most feasible, accessible option to eat food and be comfortable.

Other words, go fuck yourself. There are plenty of ways to live other than the one cut out for you.
>>
File: children lost the bright future.jpg (316KB, 1600x1597px) Image search: [Google]
children lost the bright future.jpg
316KB, 1600x1597px
>>18412799
I feel the same way. Still amazed that so many people can just accept this kind of life without even trying to do anything about it.
>>
>>18412799
Go play music at mall exits. With a sign that says what you need. It's not hard op, plenty of people survive.
>>
Honestly getting started with this kind of thing isn't anywhere near as difficult as people on here are making it out to be. I've had plenty of friends who did it. You can live very, very cheaply, even while traveling, if you want to. Going over everything you need to do to stay healthy and safe would take way too long, but there are thousands of people who've done things like this and a lot of them have written about it.

You're going to need an RV or a camper van, or just a tent if you're crazy, but you will need some kind of vehicle to get around. Don't just try to wander on foot or hitchhike. That's fucking stupid. That'll be a big expense, right off the bat, but it's doable if you're willing to get a fixer-upper and put in the work.

You can feed yourself for next to nothing (not literally, but it's doable for $30 a month - less, really - although it's tedious and a lot of work). Besides gas money, figure out what expenses you're gonna have on the road. Health insurance and maybe traveler's insurance are the big ones, depends on where you're going.

You're not gonna be able to just dive into this, but you can absolutely travel for a couple years after working a low-paying job for a year or two. You're just going to have to live very, very cheaply (both while you're saving and while you're traveling). Make a budget. If you're picturing something carefree, dream on. You'd be better off with a 9-to-5. You also want to have a plan for what you'll be doing after you're done (maybe you should spend your time while traveling building up a freelance portfolio) so you don't end up with no money, no degree and a big fucking hole in your resume in a few years.

If traveling is not a requirement you also could save money for a year or two and buy a few acres of land somewhere cheap. You won't be able to live off the land or anything but you can live extremely cheaply.

WHATEVER YOU DO, YOU STILL NEED FUCKING HEALTH INSURANCE. DON'T BE AN ASSHOLE ABOUT IT.
>>
>>18414786
Health insurance lol? Maybe she'll be lucky to qualify for something free or next to nothing.
Health insurance costs $160/mo for me I can't even afford it working full time.
>>
>>18414813
If she's in the US she'll almost certainly be eligible for Medicaid. If through some weird quirk of the law (I don't pretend to be an expert here) she is not, considering she'll have essentially no income (certainly income below $10,000 even if she works freelance, at least at first) there is absolutely no way health insurance gotten through her state's marketplace will cost $160 / mo.

If you can't manage to save enough to afford health insurance, you haven't saved enough to quit your job and travel the country. End of story.
>>
Ok so comming from someone who has actually checked this lifestyle out repeatedly and TRIED IT, here are a few things.
1 if you are really scared... DON'T DO IT, your fear will fuck you up every time. People looking to harm or take advantage of someone look for either fear, or addictions. then they'll use those to harm/take advantage.

2 If you can get over your fear, you'll be fine, there's always something, or someone that will get you what you need, all you have to do is be decent and make an HONEST effort at trying to get what you need.
you could spend all day playing a guitar and get nothing, then someone notices this and offers you 30 bucks to mow their lawn with their lawn mower. You would be very surprised at how life provides.
Speaking from experience.
Most important thing is, STAY AWAY FROM HEROIN AND METHAMPHETAMINES. you can safely experiment with other drugs and pass them up later. But those two are mad addictive and have you doing things you swore you'd never do.
>>
>>18414970
I'm not sure whether your 2nd paragraph is meant as a pep talk, "ra ra ra, you'll be fine, girl" or whether you're advising her that she doesn't need to make a budget, save money, or do the million other boring but responsible things that'll keep her safe on the road.

If the former, cool. If the latter, I'm sorry but that's terrible advice.
>>
>>18414998

I mean, if it were me, I would think that you could save for what you need to initially invest in without it being even a year. Being cautious and having some things on the road are great, needing to have every possible problem accounted for kind of takes the point away from its appeal. I want as little as possible and a way to make a few bucks every day to eat and keep from freezing in the cold or baking in the heat. Taking a pool table, your mom, $10000 cash, your TV, all the extra shit you want to live without, makes it pointless.

I have a motorcycle, a cell phone I can easily afford to keep if I donate plasma or something, a guitar. I can get a blanket, a solar charger, a tent and go out to the west coast and play guitar where it's busy and donate my plasma or whatever. It's vagrancy, you could have less than that and be fine.
>>
>>18412941
I've heard trucker school can be okay. And why is it a problem to do a ride along? Seems like a good idea to me. It honestly sounds like a decent way to get around the country without selling yourself, and you'll make a lot of money after a few years in the business. There's usually a truckerfag general thread on /o/ if you want some real information.

Also
>temp work
>sketchy
Oh yeah, those three months I spent storing shit in a warehouse for Amazon was so fucking sketchy

All things considered, you could try to get by with music. It's really about getting the gigs
>>
>>18414998
Hahaha well She should Budget and look toward the future once she has found what she really wants to do wth her life. It's Really just advise to keep her safe hahahaha
>>
>>18415287
Haha yeah hahaha oh my goddddddd haha yeah... Sex
>>
>>18415377
hahahaha... good times ^.0 hahaha
>>
>>18415209
Obviously you're not going to take a pool table or a TV. I'm not talking about bringing a bunch of frivolities, I'm talking about enough money put away to keep you (and your dog in the OP's case) reasonably healthy and safe, and your vehicle in working order. Beyond that, you need enough put away to handle it when something goes wrong.

You think it sounds romantic to set out with almost nothing to your name and to just deal with problems as they arise. That feeling of badassery will last right up until you have to call off your trip because of some minor, easily-preventable issue that turned into a major one because you were too caught up in your fantasies to save a little cash for an emergency. Like ... your vehicle breaks down. Or your appendix bursts. Or your dog eats something stupid because he's a dumbshit and needs emergency vet care ASAP.

I've never lived as a "vagrant" like OP's talking about (friends of mine have, though), but I've done a lot of traveling, sometimes for fun, sometimes for my job, and spent months living out of a tent. There've been times when I've touched down in a new country with very little spendable cash and virtually no income - but you better believe I had enough put away to afford travel insurance, because there's no way to guard against your appendix exploding on a mountaintop. It's not that that will kill you - it'll just set you back you tens of thousands of dollars. Goodbye adventure, hello debt slavery. That's not to prove how worldly and badass I am - anything but, really. It's more that I've done enough of this shit to know that when things go wrong, it's not romantic or exciting, it's just stressful and time-consuming and more expensive than it would have been if you'd prepared for such an eventuality ahead of time.
>>
>>18412799
So you are going to enter into one of the highest demographics for being raped, and you are planning on driving around in your own rape dungeon/kidnap mobile?

Good luck.That's really fucking convenient for a rapist. You are making yourself a one stop rape shop.
>>
>>18412799
Get a tazor and some mace, definitely.
>>
File: taser.jpg (10KB, 450x235px) Image search: [Google]
taser.jpg
10KB, 450x235px
>>18415287
Keep it secret keep it safe.
But mostly keep it on your wrist when anyone you don't trust or know well is around.
>>
>>18412799
Stop being a pussy and get a gun.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.