[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Changing reputation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

I have a bad reputation in my city as a result of getting loaded for years on drugs and alcohol. I've cleaned up and changed my tune, I have a well paying job and have tried as best as possible to address the underlying behavioral patterns that caused me to act like such an idiot. People tend to give me condescending looks of contempt in public and I get a lot of eye rolls. I'm definitely still considered the village idiot.

This makes it difficult to get anywhere socially. Nobody respects me. I've been clean for about two years but am almost friendless.

I am tired of being treated this way. Should I move? This would mean leaving behind family, which is my biggest support net. Is it possible that I will slowly change minds about me? I feel that I will always be that guy.
>>
I was kind of a fool. Moved 200 miles away and have never been happier. New life, new friends and see my folks every month. All depends on what you want in life. I just wanted a clean slate.
>>
It's honestly pretty difficult to get people to respect you once they have lost it. I say move.
>>
>>18412331
not op but how did you move? did you get a job there first?
>>
>>18412271
Easy, look down on 'em too.
>>
They will probably never be able to forget your antics. Research the durability of first impression.
>>
>>18412271
if you want to move and you're white, move to hong kong, you'll get a job just for being white there.

you could also learn to program in java or c or something. software jobs are well respected by everyone almost everywhere and any hobbyist can do it. being female and a programmer will also get you a lot of prestige because we all know women are stupid so if you prove you can actually write code you've basically shown yourself to be in the 99th percentile.
>>
>>18413054
>you'll get a job just for being white there
how, doing what?
>>
>>18413054
I'm actually already working as a programmer. I'm even making good money. It's just that me having the reputation of a junkie idiot is holding me back socially.
>>
>>18412386
>>18413041

I really, really, really don't want to move because of this. My job is great and I want to be around to watch my nieces grow up. But, it's been two years and people still give me the cold shoulder. I'm honestly considering trying to "brand" myself via social media or do a fucking charity as a last ditch effort.
>>
>>18413087
just look it up. they pay white people to stand around their businesses to look more international.
>>
>>18412271
How small is your city that every knows what a loser you were?
>>
probably should have been asked by now, but how small a town do you live in OP?
>>
>>18413110
>>18413111

300,000, you'd think that would be enough for it to "dilute" but nope. I've got into three different groups of friends and eventually they find out I used to use hard drugs and that I have a record. I told people at first but that never worked either.
>>
>>18413116
i think you should quite literally get back on the horse. you sounded way cooler than you do now.
>>
>>18412271
It's not good for your mental health, you'll want to kill them if it goes on long enough.
>>
>>18413116
300,000 and you still can't escape it? that sucks my dude. i went through something similar(though no hard drugs, just being known as a goofy stoner dumbass) and only kinda managed to do it in a city of two million. had to partition all my new friends from my old ones though.

how far away from another major city are you?
>>
>>18413136
Like two hours or so.
>>
>>18413140
consider moving. far enough away that you can escape the stigma but close enough that you can still be with your family somewhat regularly

i know it will be a huge pain in the ass, but you do not want to carry around the burden of being an outcast forever. it will hollow you out and make you resent everything. people could change their minds, but honestly it is pretty unlikely. its not about you, that's just how people are.
>>
>>18413116
well i live in sydney, theres 5 million people here and my social circles are pretty small. of the people that float around my people theres about 500 of us. i dont think it matter what city you go to, when you look at age, hobbies, education and transport accessibility small tight groups form from seemingly large populations.

heres a pro tip. find someone rich and stick yourself into that social circle. you can also put yourself into a circle thats more accepting of drug users.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.