[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kids learning swearing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1459710332608(1).jpg (42KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1459710332608(1).jpg
42KB, 540x540px
My 7 year old sister hears me swear often. She asked me about swearing today and I just your said not to do it because it can offend people and that I just do it when something goes wrong.

My parents are against swearing so I don't want to encourage her to do it. She wants me to explain swearing to her later on and I'm conflicted on what to say. I don't believe it's even bad, but I don't want her to do it. I believe that telling kids how "bad" swearing is will just make them want to do it to be edgy, but maybe that's mostly just boys.

What should I say to teach her about her about swearing? I'm stumped.
>>
Do not teach her swearing. I think you should avoid it when she's near you. She's really young and have a limited vocabulary, she'll start to use curse words to express herself and that's kinda bad for her intellectual/academic development.
>>
>>18409193

be open about it. say 'there are a lot of things that adults do that arent bad, but kids arent supposed to do them for different reasons. For instance adults drink alcohol. this isn't bad, but kids arent supposed to drink it because its bad for their development and kids havent quite learned how to control them selves yet. Kids shouldn't swear because they don't really know when is the appropriate time to use the words.'

explain to her that the words themselves are not bad, but its how they are used, so she shouldn't be afraid to ask about what certain words are or what they mean, and that she can always come to you if she has any questions.

id even go as far as to tell her that its okay for her to swear and use those words when taling to you but no one else, that way it can get out of her system.

my parents had a rule that we could say whatever swears we want in the bathroom.
>>
You shouldn't have set the example to begin with, she doesn't have a point of reference now for how to come up with better, more insightful descriptions of things. Although honestly 7 years old is pretty much around the age where all kids are starting to act edgy, if you send her to public school you're fucked.
>>
Some things. Most kids go through a phase where they discover swearing. Just like many go through a phase where they love to joke about sex/poop. They discovered a fresh taboo and want to abuse the fuck out of it. That's normal. Annoying, but normal.

Secondly, the cat's out of the bag. You cannot just make her forget about swearing now. You're also shit out of luck trying to get her to never swear, when you swear around her all the time. Even just disregarding that you are her parent she is used to copying, hearing words makes them stick.

Yes you can try to relate it to other "bad" things, but soon enough her peers will swear and she'll realize that the consequences actually aren't that big a deal.

I would just be upfront with her, tell her that they're improper words that people use to show frustration (like a mild form of breaking something), that it is considered improper and a minor way to lose self-control. And most importantly, that grandma and grandpa are old-fashioned and she should respect that. That should work unless she has a very close and informal relationship with your parents.

Also try to play into her own world. Eg if she loves princesses, tell her princesses are too ladylike to swear etc. Whatever she likes, abuse it for your own end.
>>
>>18409275
Oh shit, only just realized she isn't your daughter. Advice still stands but less important because you're her brother. She is going to want to do the cool things you do, if she doesn't learn it from you in no time she'll have picked it up from school.

Also in this case I would try to bank on making it "your little thing" that mom and dad can't know about. She'll love to conspire with her big brother against your parents.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.