[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is Computer Science actually a good major to study in? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: computer-science.jpg (147KB, 1000x450px) Image search: [Google]
computer-science.jpg
147KB, 1000x450px
So is Computer Science actually a good major to study in? I'm pretty much setting up my life for it, and from everyone I know, from friends, to statistics, and to professionals, it is like an end-all major.

>technically considered a STEM major IIRC.
>opens you up to a fuck ton of jobs that are constantly hiring because of how broad the major is
>brings in good pay if you just want a decent life style
>not even that math-intensive as long as you aren't working with something that uses physics or insane calculations

What's the catch? Not only that, but it allows me to pursue video game development, which has always been my life long dream, even if it is just coding.

Is there a big boogieman waiting to get me in this future? What's the trap here? Is it really the major people make it out to be?
>>
If you've ever watched the matrix, you'd know that computers are humanity's only future...
>>
>>18406782
It's a good major if you want a lot of free time to browse 4chan

>CS
>video game development
This question has been posted so many times years after years lol
this seems to be a bleak outlook for young people here
>>
>>18406782
>Is there a big boogieman waiting to get me in this future?
His name is Pajeet and he wants your job

>what's the catch
you are an epitome of what every single CS major is (I like video games, good pay, and less there's less math involved!). you are going to be competing against clones of yourself. at least try to stand out or you'll just be a replaceable code monkey.
>>
>>18406801
Oh no, I'm fine if I don't go into vidya dev, but what do you mean by what you said?
>>
>>18406807
>pajeet
I've even heard of profesional developers say that out sourcing is getting pretty old and stale these days. No one likes doing it. India may have a lot of coders but they are not really good coders. They send stuff back in such a complicated mess that they just end up having to redo it all themselves. They are better off with just their own workers.

I have done coding myself, gone through some vocational schooling for it. I've noticed that it's less of math, and more of just logic, which is what math heavily relies on. In the end, I'm fine with learning math.
>>
>>18406807
is there anything you consider better option
>>
>>18406782
there's no real catch if you make your experience worthwhile
>>
>>18406808
look at the CS courses syllabus
look at the skills in resume of a typical CS major
"X years experience with languages Y,Z"
"projects A, B, C"
many students can do all that as a hobby or a minor. Programming is what you do by yourself at home anyway, toy projects are what you could do on semester breaks, they are less time consuming than playing video games.
>>
File: 1496987265134.png (178KB, 395x351px) Image search: [Google]
1496987265134.png
178KB, 395x351px
>>18406834
>is there anything you consider better option
Well CS is a good option. If you are interested in programming/software and are not interested other subjects then go for it. It's better than most degrees offered in any Uni. You'll get a job if you take advantage of your time in college and try to stand out

But I would say something like an EE degree and learning Python/C++ with your free time would make for a stronger candidate, but that would obviously be way more challenging/math intensive.
>>
>>18406782
I'm in CS right now at a pretty prestigious university for it so let me give my perspective.
>jobs
There are a ridiculous amount of jobs in comp sci. My uni has a really good co-op program for pretty much all majors, but even so cs dominates there. More than half the jobs in our coop job bank are cs related.
>good pay
Pretty true. Not exceptionally though.
>not that math intensive
Completely false. Computer science is a subset of math and requires a heavy understanding of it unless you are in some community college web programming course. If you are good at math but bad with computers you can still do well in CS but not the other way around. 2 / 5 courses were math related in my first year and I also had a cs course which was basically math as well. The other courses were jokes.
>video game development
I would not recommend you go down this path. Video game development is an extremely cutthroat career path with unrealistic deadlines, 60 hour work weeks and bad pay.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.