[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need some tips on how to move a major city, more specifically,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: New york.jpg (103KB, 658x359px) Image search: [Google]
New york.jpg
103KB, 658x359px
Need some tips on how to move a major city, more specifically, new york city. I live in the state as of now, working on getting a degree in business and should be done with it next year, but really hate the town i live in now, and want something different. I have about 4 grand saved up from working at my job that i work full time at, and i have a car that i can sell as well. Ive always loved going to the city, and i think i would like to live there I could go to brooklyn, bronx, or queens as well just as long as im in one of the five burroughs then i would be happy. I have 1 year management experience, I could find a job with that while I finish up my degree and yes, im willing to work full time. 2 problems i have though is one: i dont have any credit. Ive never owned a credit card, so i think it would be next to impossible to get an apartment without some kind of credit, and two. I dont know enough about what neighborhoods are good and which ones are bad. I dont care if it looks a old, nor do i care about the size of apt, but i would like to avoid the ghetto GHETTO as much as possible. Reason why i wpuld like to stay in new york is cause of financial aid and how collge is now free for suny and cuny schools

Tl;dr how does a college student move to one of the five boroughs of new york with no credit?
>>
New Yorker here. I can fill you in on queens

Expensive as fuck areas like Kew Gardens or Jamaica Estates (Drumpfs birthplace). Decent areas like Rego Park or Forest Hills. Ghetto like Jamaica or Long Island City.

I've taken the subway late at night and never had an issue. Then again I don't live in Jamaica. Queens is very niche grouped. Flushing is for asians. Mexicans down Jackson Heights. Greeks in Astoria.

In your particular situation you will most likely get a roommate. Unless you're pulling a lot of money, you aren't getting your own apartment. Ditch the car.

Ill refresh in a bit if you have any specific Qs
>>
>>18406665
what's the job market like? minimum wage is $15 now right? does that make it super hard to find unskilled and/or entry-level jobs in anywhere but fast food chains? my only experience is a few internships at local art galleries. I live in KS and need a bigger and more trendy city with an art market so I can sell my shit.

not OP btw, but in a similar enough situation
>>
>>18406665
How would I go about getting a roommate there are websites i can go on to find one, but that kinda sketches me out. Are there ways that are more trustworthy to about getting one? Id i have to go on a website to find one i will do it.
If i were to move to queens, would it feel like eternity to get to Manhattan by public transportation? I am planning on ditching the car one of the reasons why i want to move down there, i dont like driving. If i do get ride of the car, i was looking more toward brooklyn if i moved to queens. Again whatever is the best affordable way to live down there, im willing to do .
>>
>>18406687
Op here
Im an assistant manager of a fast food place upstate and minimum wage is 10.75 up here in the city its 12, but alot of places pay you more than minimum wage as well so you could make 15 with tips somewhere down there i would just recommend serving, if i wasnt in the position that im in now at my job i would go back and do that again
>>
>>18406689
>>18406689
Website probably conventional online ways like Craigslist or maybe a Facebook group of some kind. FYI don't give up personal info or money over the internet.

Transportation is fine. Probably like 30-45 minutes to the city. Trains run 24/7. Local and express. And mta pass is like $120 a month or something.

Brooklyn is really really hipster right now. Like rent is skyrocketing and parking is impossible. There are even outskirts of jersey that might be more of a possibility for you. NJ transit offers bus to the city and very reliable and run almost 24 hours.

>>18406687
Jobs are ok. Tough to land but usually last.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.