[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mom afraid of terrorism - ruining trip, what do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

Later this year, the family had planned to go out to the UK for my dad's 60th birthday (we have the same birthday), go to an NFL game, and I'd pretty much split off and hang with my friends who live over there.

But my mom is afraid of terrorism over there and now refuses to go. How do I change her mind?

Alternatively, where are some non-US places that are "safe?" I don't watch Fox News all day like she does, so I don't know what people like her will consider a reasonable risk.
>>
Tell her she's more likely to get shot in US than she is to get blown up in Europe.
>>
>>18402128
well she did get shot in the US last year. Hoping to cheer her up with this trip.
>>
>>18402142

Not OP.
>>
>>18402145
OP here, ignore that post. She WAS shot. She got grazed on the calf by a stray bullet on the way to our annual family bbq.
>>
I live in England. My advice is that if you're nervous of terrorism in London just to go literally any other city. As far as I know there's only ever been one terrorist attack outside of London (Manchester) so overall the UK is very safe.
In my opinion the best cities outside London to visit are:
- Nottingham: Robin Hood country, has a great market and loads of attractions like a 900 year old pub and a cave network built before even the Romans arrived.
- Bournemouth/Brighton/Blackpool: Seaside resorts which until 30 years ago most British people would go on holiday to. Blackpool is a little more run down than the other two but it's home to the famous illuminations and Blackpool Tower.
- Liverpool: Redeveloped over the last 20 years, is home to Cavern Club where the Beatles performed, the Albert Dock and nearby beaches too.
If you're interested in sport I can't recommend football ("soccer") enough. My team is Wolverhampton Wanderers but there's a good team in every big town so you're spoilt for choice.
Finally, if your mother is really scared of cities then there's always national parks like the Lake District and Peak District.

Just go on Tripadvisor, find the best things to do in each of these places and present them to your mum, hopefully she'll be convinced. England is well worth exploring outside of London.
>>
>>18402302

Well, my friends live in Milton Keynes, so I'd only be in London for a day or two. My mom actually spent time growing up there... it's just the entire UK that scares her. I don't think exploring other cities is going to make her any less afraid of "the Muslims."

I do appreciate the advice though, I hope to make it out there solo soon if this trip doesn't come together. I guess I'm just trying to look at logical ways to show her she's just as likely to get killed in a terrorist attack where we live (Vegas) as she will on a week long trip to Europe.
>>
File: Molineux.jpg (114KB, 660x350px) Image search: [Google]
Molineux.jpg
114KB, 660x350px
>>18402322
I would consider myself as someone who is very socially conservative and I'm really switched on to the potential threats that Islam poses. I do believe that these threats will not properly materialise for a long time yet though- real, constant conflict will not exist for a good 15-20 years in my opinion. I dunno, you could use me as an example to your mum that Britain is pretty safe at the moment especially outside London. Milton Keynes is certainly safe.
However, if your mum is too worried to even visit a national park it's unlikely you'll be able to pull it off. That's probably ok though if you're planning to see Britain yourself soon.
The safest place in Europe right now is Poland without a shadow of a doubt. Not a single terrorist attack ever, and far from the People's Republic it once was. Maybe take a look at Krakow, it's the only city I've got first-hand experience of but I consider it my 3rd favourite destination in the world after Malta and New Zealand.

Pic slightly related- my team's home stadium.
>>
>>18402124
I voted TRUMP -- tell your mom that the odds of coming into contact with terrorists in the UK are close to zero and approximately equal to winning a $100 million power ball. However the odds of coming into contact with hostile Muslims rises as you approach NO GO zones.
>>
>>18402124
Don't walk on London Bridge
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.