[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if I want to go to uni

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Jari_M.jpg (74KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
Jari_M.jpg
74KB, 800x534px
I want to be a full-time musician, get my band touring, selling merch and albums and all that. I'd rather work on my music and build up my band's brand than go to uni and pay money to learn some shit that I don't really care about.

Trouble is, my parents don't support me and say I'm not welcome to stay with them if I don't go to uni. What jobs should I do and where should I live until I finish enough songs to be independent? Also, how do I deal with feeling like a failure to my parents? 17 and in Year 12 btw, sorry for being underage.
>>
bruh...... Listen to your mom and dad, man, they know what's up. You're letting your personal pride, hubris, and your innate sense of competition with your parents (dad) get the best of you.

You're just a kid, man. You'll look back at this as the worst decision ever. You can always play music after you get an education and a key to your future. You're just in a fantasy.

You're in love with a fantasy and your parents are trying to wake you up and you're like "nah fuck off m8" when you're going to wake up in 10 years, broke as fuck, with nothing to show for if you don't get your shit straight first.

There's time for your play bands all your fucking life. Trust me, you're not the only kid who thinks they're the next superstar. It's a fantasy that you can entertain with a good education and a career much more safely than dropping out of/not going to school to play in your band.
>>
>>18401772
Second this. You can always play music through university, and after university. Don't go work total wage cuck jobs as a substitute for a proper education.
>>
College is a great time to find band mates and to get into the local music scene. You can pick an easy major and spend the rest of your time rocking out
>>
Tough it out, at least that's what I'm doing and I'm making music on the side. If I get bigger and can support myself through this, I'll maybe consider it. But to be honest OP, nobody here will give you the answer that you like, only you know if you truly want to be a musician. If you want to do it, prepare for hardships.
>>
>>18401772
>>18401802
I get that. I'm worried, though, because apparently you need to be fairly committed to studying. I'm afraid I will drop out or fail because deep down I don't care about what I'm studying.

>>18401810
Why tho. Why pick an easy major, and pay money to go to uni for the sake of it. How is that useful
>>
>>18401830
Networking and socializing.

And even if it's an easy degree, having one and not having one makes a pretty big difference when you're looking for a job. Of course if you want to get into STEM then you have to get into a STEM major, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to go into an easier(than stem) major like econ or finance as a backup plan.
>>
>>18401744
>Wintersun pic
My nigga
>>
You should go get an education. For one, it's pretty damn hard to make it in the music industry. I know plenty of people that have tried to scrape by and make it work, and they're just not good enough.

Honestly, college isn't that hard. I barely studied and exited with my full ride scholarship still intact. You'll have plenty of time (summers included) to focus on playing in your band, practicing, and getting your name out there.

The honest truth of the matter is that you need a backup plan. I'm all for pursuing your dreams, but a degree is also a sign to an employer that you can make a plan and stick to it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.